Too many components and not enough inputs, would this work?

J

jalvarez699

Enthusiast
Hi everyone!

I have been reading on this forum and it seems that everyone is very knowledgeable. So here is my problem. I will list out my components and hopefully you will all be able to help me!

I have a Toshiba HD TV with 2 Component Inputs, and 1 HDMI input. It also has 3 composite inputs(1 on the front)

Now I have:

Xbox 360
Toshiba HD-A3(yes the format is dead but its a great up converter!)
Bell PVR with component and HDMI

- All three of those have Optical outputs and HDMI.

I also have a Nintendo Wii.

My old reciever was a Panasonic SA-XR55 I believe, it had 2 component 1 and 1 out. 2 Digital Audio in and 1 Out.

I just upgraded to a Bose LS 18 Series 2 (I got a smoking deal on it) Now it only has 1 Optical In.

So would it be possible to use an HDMI switcher for the three HDMI and then use the Optical in's on the Panasonic Receiver to connect the components too and then use the Optical Out to the Bose Receiver? Or should I just buy the Intec HDMI Component Selector switch. which has 2 HDMI out and 4 Component in. The main reason is so that I can have 5.1 surround sound for each of my Main components (Satellite, Xbox 360, HDDVD player)

Does anyone else have any suggestions? The reason I am trying this route is the financial reason, unfortunately I can not by a new receiver or TV :( Oh well.

Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ideally, I'd sell the Bose for more than I paid, if I got a smoking deal on it, then buy something better.

Second choice, get an HDMI switch and an optical switch for the devices that need it.

J

jalvarez699

Enthusiast
Thanks J_Garcia, why would you sell the Bose system? As for an HDMI switch what would you suggest? how about Optical? and finally would you NOT recommend the INTEC Component Switcher? or would you suggest something different?

Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Lack of inputs would be one reason, and they also have made it rather difficult to use other devices with their system as well so that limits your upgradability to some extent.

I am not familiar with the Intec component switcher, though I don't see why it wouldn't work either, except that for your HD DVD player, you can't do upscaling via component for SD DVD and you also won't get 1080p via component from that player (AFAIK) - you will get 1080i. If you were to pick up a Blu-ray player down the road, you would run into the same issue, and even most regular upscaling DVD players won't pass 1080p over component.

J

jalvarez699

Enthusiast
ok cool...Yeah my tv doesn't support 1080P just 1080i/720p. so that wouldn't be an issue. But i guess I can try either way eh! if it doesn't work it doesn't work...then i just need to tell the wife we have to upgrade the TV :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi everyone!

I have been reading on this forum and it seems that everyone is very knowledgeable. So here is my problem. I will list out my components and hopefully you will all be able to help me!

I have a Toshiba HD TV with 2 Component Inputs, and 1 HDMI input. It also has 3 composite inputs(1 on the front)

Now I have:

Xbox 360
Toshiba HD-A3(yes the format is dead but its a great up converter!)
Bell PVR with component and HDMI

- All three of those have Optical outputs and HDMI.

I also have a Nintendo Wii.

My old reciever was a Panasonic SA-XR55 I believe, it had 2 component 1 and 1 out. 2 Digital Audio in and 1 Out.

I just upgraded to a Bose LS 18 Series 2 (I got a smoking deal on it) Now it only has 1 Optical In.

So would it be possible to use an HDMI switcher for the three HDMI and then use the Optical in's on the Panasonic Receiver to connect the components too and then use the Optical Out to the Bose Receiver? Or should I just buy the Intec HDMI Component Selector switch. which has 2 HDMI out and 4 Component in. The main reason is so that I can have 5.1 surround sound for each of my Main components (Satellite, Xbox 360, HDDVD player)

Does anyone else have any suggestions? The reason I am trying this route is the financial reason, unfortunately I can not by a new receiver or TV :( Oh well.

Thanks!
You did not get a "smoking deal," you got a lousy deal. Junk purchases are the most expensive you will make. You bought junk, you did not upgrade you downgraded.

Now you have the option of retrieving your investment in the Bose if you can; best option. Or you can have an unhandy system like you suggest. The other option is to use an HDMI to optical converter and a switcher. That will blow your "smoking deal" right out of the window.

J

jalvarez699

Enthusiast
alright...I now have something to think about. Thanks! Oh and I paid $50 for the Bose System(it is legitimate Bose) but thanks for the help!

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Bose is poor quality; but excellent marketing

Thanks J_Garcia, why would you sell the Bose system?
Read some of the threads or reviews on the Bose here. It is very poor quality, both in materials/construction and sound quality and is only perceived a good through their excellent marketing and branding.

There are better AVR at all price ranges; their is a thread on $200 price range and several other higher priced ones.

Sorry I can't help on external HDMI switchers.

Good Luck

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe not "poor quality" just way over priced for what it is but for 50 bucks, not a bad deal at all.
Read some of the threads or reviews on the Bose here. It is very poor quality, both in materials/construction and sound quality and is only perceived a good through their excellent marketing and branding.

There are better AVR at all price ranges; their is a thread on $200 price range and several other higher priced ones.

Sorry I can't help on external HDMI switchers.

Good Luck

J

jalvarez699

Enthusiast
thanks for the info...at least i know i didn't get totally ripped off!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis