Too low decay in small room, how to fix?

N

Niklasmagnus

Enthusiast
I´m going for a rebuild of my too dead home theater. My understanding is that the soft front wall is the problem for this. But since it´s build on the wall and not movable boxes I don’t want to remove everything, but rather modify to make something good with it. I have a wood fibre insulation material, flow resistivity ~5000 Pa.s/m2, fully filled behind the textile cover.

I also have a big ceiling absorber with 95mm thick wood fibre. Its purpose is for first reflection, but I´m not sure it´s optimal placed at the moment. Must check it with a mirror.

Solution, just my thought is to add slat panel in front of the black textile. I would like to increase the decay from ~300 Hz and up. I´ve done simulation with http://www.acousticmodelling.com/multi.php

The measurement are from testing with and without three wall absorber panels (600x600x200mm) on the right wall for handling the first reflection. I think they need to be covered with MLS slats to keep some of the reflection->decay? Or is it better to just use diffusion panels to keep all energy i the room?

450mm depth
I can add two horizontal 200mm slats with 20mm slot and 5mm gap from textile.
Since I don’t have a sealed cavity behind, I did two simulations to understand how the depth will affect, and my guess is that I will have reflection from ~300Hz. How the absorption graph will look I don´t know but I guess I´ll have some absorption.
http://www.acousticmodelling.com/mli...=9999&v23=5000

250mm depth
MLS slat slot panel to get a more diffuse reflection.
Something like 50mm slat, 20mm slot for more reflection surface.
Or mabe remove this absorber section?

Angled 300-450mm deep
MLS slat slot panel to get a more diffuse reflection.
Something like 50mm slat, 20mm slot for more reflection surface.

Do you think I´m going in the correct path of increasing decay from 300Hz up but also make it a bit more even from LF to HF?

I think a goal would be ~250 ms.

BR
Niklas

Front soft wall_samll.jpgSPL_RF_MLP_with_withou x3 absorbers_right wall.jpgSPL_LF_MLP_with_withou x3 absorbers_right wall.jpgRF_MLP_without x3 absorbers_right wall.jpgRF_MLP_with x3 absorbers_right wall.jpgLF_MLP_without x3 absorbers_right wall.jpgLF_MLP_with x3 absorbers_right wall.jpgETC_RF_MLP_with_withou x3 absorbers_right wall.jpgETC_LF_MLP_with_withou x3 absorbers_right wall.jpg

N

Niklasmagnus

Enthusiast
I’m thinking that I need to remove the 250mm deep section above the speaker since it will absorb to much mid and high frequencies. Maybe add some diffuser instead?
Also rebuild the 450mm deep section to a sealed enclosure with my suggested 200mm slat, 20mm slot and 200mm slat with 10 mm gap to the fluffy stuff. It will get me 0,8 absorption coefficient between 55-200 Hz. The angles I only and an MLS pattern ~ 30% opening. Since they are fully open facing the speakers they should take care of SBIR from side walls (if I place them flat to the front wall.
Any feedback!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis