To upgrade or not to upgrade

C

chuckles304

Audiophyte
Hello,
I have a pieced-together system in my woodshop from ebay and craigslist. Yamaha RX-V2200 receiver, 4 Infinity P363's, and a Tannoy center. I'm learning (newbie that I am) that the Infinities are the bottom of the ladder in the world of good speakers. I have also learned that towers in the price range of 1500-2000/pair are a good balance of price and performance. I found a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RX8's for $1200 new. I am also considering GoldenEar Triton Two's. The room they would be going in is 30' x 20' with a ceiling that's 5' at one end and 11' at the other (roofline). The floor is plywood as are two of the walls, one wall sheetrock, one wall open insulation, ceiling open insulation. I can only place the speakers tight in the corners, which I realize is not optimal. Basically I'm asking for suggestions for four new speakers and a better receiver, and also whether or not it's even worth it. The only thing this system will ever be used for is music: classical, some metal, and the occasional spurt of Dave Matthews. I'm not afraid of older receivers (the Yamaha I have is from pre-HDMI days). I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Music only? If so, I'd probably skip the center completely. You're going to want to match the mains to the center or pick up a matching center with the mains as well. In a wood shop. I'd say the P363s are sufficient to be honest. Do you feel something is lacking?

C

chuckles304

Audiophyte
Nothing lacking necessarily, especially considering I got all four Infinities for $450. I've just become aware through reading reviews etc. that it might be a noticeable improvement to go with speakers in a higher price range. Obviously $5000/pair towers would be a colossal waste in a woodshop, but I figured down the road it might be worth an extra grand or so to go with higher quality speakers/equipment. Thanks for the reply.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I also think the 363 speakers are good enough for that shop. Even $10,000 a pair speakers need a suitable room to sound good.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would have a hard time putting nice speakers where there would be fine saw dust floating around.
But since you have money we might spend;)...If you want to change things up a little, just add one or two SUB-1200's from parts express. A fun addition and arguably justifiable addition of gravitas to your workshop at $130 each. (currently out of stock, due to arrive 2/12/15)
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629

Jman's review:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/71766-dayton-audio-sub-1200-subwoofer-review.html

They kind of fit with the 363's role by being "the bottom of the ladder in the world of good subs."

Set the crossover to 60Hz if you use a HT receiver to manage bass, or at 40Hz using the crossover on the sub if the mains will play full range.

Have fun and keep all 10!

PS - The best money you can spend on sound quality in that room is for ear plugs for when you fire up the router or tablesaw!

C

chuckles304

Audiophyte
Ok. Thanks for the advice everybody. Looks like I'll happily stick with what I've got. Oddly enough I had been considering a PB-1000 sub from SVS to handle low end since the 363's only go to 38 Hz and I enjoy listening to occasional organ works. If the SUB-1200 goes nearly as low I'll get one.

Off topic question: my receiver has what I assume is a standard 3' long silver-colored FM antenna. Due to some high-efficiency fluorescent lighting in an adjoining room I get crappy radio reception and almost non-existent cell service. Is there a better antenna out there that doesn't cost $1000? Or do I get what I get? I don't listen to the radio much but it's nice to hear something other than static when I do.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Welcome to the forum!
There are some mods out there for the 363's that might be worth doing as they're already in your shop.
Another option would be selling them and building a pair of these:
http://www.parts-express.com/solstice-mltl-reference-tower-speaker-kit--300-708
You can likely save some $ by building the cabinets yourself .
Cheers, Mac
+1, +1

You had my EXACT initial thoughts! Almost kind of eerie :confused:

1) Mod the P363s. Search on this site for a couple of different threads on the topic. It's nice that OP has 2 pairs, that way he can mod a pair and do A/B testing against a non-modded pair (and report back to us on the results)!

2) OP wants these in a shop, so he obviously has the room to build those PE Solstice Speakers!

Hey, I own a pair of the 363s and a pair of the GE Triton 2. The 363 doesn't come close to competing with the T2, they are nowhere in the same league and the T2 is a waaayy better speaker!

BUT, you say that you can only put them tight in a corner, so that automatically takes the GE T2 off the list. The T2 has side-firing passive bass radiators, so tight corner placement is a BAD IDEA!

The 363 will work better in a tight corner b/c they are front-ported.

I have personally done about 1/2 of the 363 mods on my pair. I glued up the can shields on the back of the drivers and I installed the peal and seal material to all internal surfaces. I also added some stuffing material to the bottom part of the cabinet. I did not do A/B testing, but it seems to me that I now have less resonance. Personally, I think the P363 makes a fine workshop speaker! 1 item that I did when I had the speakers out was add a piece of grill cloth over the port. That way if I ever want to use them in the garage, I don't have to worry about critters crawling in there.

Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yeah, wood shop and new speakers just screams DIY to me, too. The value proposition can't be touched, the focus can be on performance, and there is no need for fancy speakers in a work shop. Keep what you have and start with the Dayton subs. And the Solstice may be great, but eventually some BIG, proper garage/shop speakers are in order (larger SEOS, hint, hint).

Last edited:
C

chuckles304

Audiophyte
Thanks guys. Any thoughts on improved radio reception?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Rooftop antenna. Doesn't have to be fancy, you could make a very respectable quarter wave dipole antenna with stuff you probably have now.

I use one of those Magnum Dynalab antennas, but I got it used. They're kinda pricey, especially considering you can find the exact same product marketed to a different audience at the marine stores for half the cost.

If you're way far out, or have multipath issues, a directional antenna may be in order.

Keep the amp and antenna wiring away from the light ballasts.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
OK. Thanks.
If you do mount an antenna outside, be sure to use a 75 Ohm coax down from the antenna with what is called a 300 Ohm to 75 Ohm balun minimal cost.
This should reduce noise infusion on the line.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis