Tired of handshake problems, picture but no sound when connecting to my receiver, idea?

K

kelben

Audiophyte
Hi fellow Audioholics :)

I guess this is a lame old problem, but It's really frustrating so would like a tip on how to proceed.

My setup is as following:

* Sonus Faber Venere 5.0 loudspeakers
* Newly bought Pioneer SC-LX57 Receiver (Just hit the market)
* Samsung LED 55' SMART TV
* Oppo BDP 103 Blue Ray
* Asustor NAS with Boxee APP and HDMI out
* Rikomagic quad core mini android PC (For XBMC use)

When the components stated above is connected to my pioneer receiver I get the following errors even though I have configured them all to send out DIGITAL signals...

*Oppo Blue ray: Sound only now and then when streaming lossless (FLAC), but always sound when watching a blue ray movie or other movies on file.
* NO SOUND when NAS server is connected via HDMI cable...
* Haven't tried Rikomagic mini PC yet, but guess I will have the same problem...

I read about these handshaking issues.... Is there anything at all I can do?

Or do I have to buy a new receiver? ANy suggestions of which?
I might need to connect them all directly to the the TV and use a optic cable to get sound from TV to receiver? (Really hope not)

If you have a tip or hint to ease my situation I would forever be thankfull!;)

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
We have posted this multiple times but I guess it just isn't read...
HDMI has certification/compliance testing for HDCP and interoperability between HDMI components..
It is not mandatory but certain brands such as Samsung, Oppo, Pioneer choose to bypass these entirely.. :confused:
They save $ and ship to the market sooner, but without this certfication it is a crap shoot that HDMI things will work properly...
The HDMI standards written by Intel are very specific, and many users especially purchasers of Samsung displays wonder why things don't work right...

Just my $0.05.... ;)

K

kelben

Audiophyte
Ok... so what brand do you suggest as the best choice of receiver? (And TV)

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
If it's a setting, and I imagine by your problem that it is, set the oppo to not bitstream FLAC files.

What does the receiver say when you're trying to play things off the NAS?

The equipment you have will all work together fine.

K

kelben

Audiophyte
Thnaks for reply Grador ! I have troubleshooted a bit more.... and sound actually came when changing the resolution of teh Boxee App (Did not change any sound options). Changed it from 1080p to 720p.... then sound came... why is this? Guess it has something to do with HDCP. But means I can't have it on full resolution I guess. And this wont change even if I change out my receiver?

The Receiver will give me sound from Oppo Blue ray player as long as I use the Oppo to stream files over the network from my NAS. To all files, flac, videos etc... Though when I have an USB plug into my OPPO it only give sound now and then. But I can live with this :)

So I guess when I get my new mini PC Rikomagic Quad core android I will be carefull what resolution I use it on... to get sound... :)

You have a yamaha receiver... you ever had similar problems or are pioneer receivers standing out in this case?

Thanks again for answering. Used 10-15k so far on my new home cinema, so would be nice if I got it to work together properly :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
How long are your hdmi cables are? Its sound like you have too much of signal loss in your path, ergo there 1080p fails, 720p works
Try getting higher quality cables - slightly more expensive, but if you don't want to take more chances with them get them from Blue Jean cable

K

kelben

Audiophyte
The cables are like 2-3meters... 1.4 standard. Though not of the best quality I guess, even though it says they are "gold" coated or whatever...

HDMI cables from Blue jean cables? Ok, thanks! I guess I should give better cables a try.

The cable from NAS server to my receiver is only 2m, but that might be too much for 1080p as it is a cheap hdmi cable? (1.4)

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
The cables are like 2-3meters... 1.4 standard. Though not of the best quality I guess, even though it says they are "gold" coated or whatever...

HDMI cables from Blue jean cables? Ok, thanks! I guess I should give better cables a try.

The cable from NAS server to my receiver is only 2m, but that might be too much for 1080p as it is a cheap hdmi cable? (1.4)

Try monoprice Redmere cables. They are very thin a flexible and work well.

- Rich

K

kelben

Audiophyte
Thanks Rich !! Any of the cables you suggest specifically? ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis