Tired of Crappy Support by Cable Providers, cutting the cord!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Y

Yep. I bought 6183 because it was on sale and I think I paid like $30 or $40. 6190 would have been a lot more and probably not given me any more speed. By the time I need one for those kinds of speeds, I expect google fiber to be in this area (next year).

They must be listening lol. Just checked and got 132 up/11.2 down.
Well, the tech is coming on Tuesday. Hopefully he is knowledgeable beyond lets try this or recycle the modem.
I wish they could check the closes check point in their system to my house and check the speed there.
My area may still not be getting the speed they are promising.

Boy that 132 down is impressive.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, the tech is coming on Tuesday. Hopefully he is knowledgeable beyond lets try this or recycle the modem.
I wish they could check the closes check point in their system to my house and check the speed there.
My area may still not be getting the speed they are promising.

Sorry, yes meant 132 down/11 up.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
At what point does the bitrate become superfluous? I think gaming needs more than just streaming audio/video. But is there a point beyond which more download speed is unusable?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Decided on the next model up, installed, same old brick wall at 60/60.9 up.
Was told to call back and ask for a tech visit if the last reset didn't improve; it didn't so will call.
I want what I pay for, not 60% of it.
Yup, like I mentioned previously, try to use that less-than-advertised speed as leverage to lower your bill, or at least get some amount of credit for the next few months.

The worst that can happen is they say "no".

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Just noticed they charge me $5.00 a month just to have the modem might as well get one of those JG suggested as it will pay it self off in a year. Depending what price we can get.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just noticed they charge me $5.00 a month just to have the modem might as well get one of those JG suggested as it will pay it self off in a year. Depending what price we can get.
You should always own your modem. The one they provide you is "leased" and here it is $7/mo. FCC is putting together a regulation that says they can't charge you for your cable box and hopefully also the modem:

http://gizmodo.com/the-fcc-wants-to-stop-cable-companies-from-ripping-you-1755412048

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I remember you mentioned that they charge you in the bought thread. I never noticed they charged 5 bucks till I looked at my bill yesterday. On a budget, so I only have 5mbs:mad: the lowest tier, but it does fine with streaming and browsing for the most part. I'm gonna wait till there is a sale, so I can pick one up for $40 I think that's what you paid.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I'm a bit on the fence as to whether it is better to lease the modem or purchase it outright and be done with it.

I have been leasing the last few years. What I like about this arrangement is that if I start having problems, then I can just take the modem in to TWC and tell them it sucks and they will give me a new one. 2 times, over the years, I needed a new modem. The last swap-out, my old modem was dated and needed to be swapped just for that. It is convenient to make that my first step in troubleshooting.

On the other hand, when you own it you keep the $ in your pocket each month--until it is time to upgrade or the modem dies.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The downside of your own modem is having to buy the router separate, but then you also get better gear if you shop right. My previous modem I had for 3 years, so that was essentially 2 years free. The $$ you are saving, you can buy a new modem every year if you like.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

At what point does the bitrate become superfluous? I think gaming needs more than just streaming audio/video. But is there a point beyond which more download speed is unusable?
Good question. But it was upgraded and now I feel like I am paying for it and not getting it.
If the house is streaming and a wi-fi laptop or two at the same time.
It looks good on a speed test though. ;) :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Well, I have egg on my face :eek:
Should have done a better troubleshooting. It turned out to be a router setting.
Will have a word with no 1 son ;)

But, the wireless laptops still test much slower than the desktop wired to the router but more than before.
Thanks guys.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Who has a great wi-fi router and has clocked very high speeds with a wireless laptop?
Which brand of router?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Who has a great wi-fi router and has clocked very high speeds with a wireless laptop?
Me!!!
I have a Netgear Model 6200 wireless router from AT&T. (AT&T says it's the only wireless router compatible with their service.) I've clocked DSL download speeds as high as 5.82Mbps!

When we upgraded to this router, we ordered it online from AT&T. It came loose in a box that was ~3x larger than the router itself. No padding, no packing... loose and bouncing around in the box. I'm guessing refurb and very poorly packaged.

We tried it and it seemed to work, but soon started having problems. Finally I went to a local AT&T outlet and bought another one. Well, I went back to the store a week later when they actually had one in stock. It was well packaged. Installed it and had the same problems.

After numerous calls to their helpdesk, a technician coming to the house, then several more calls, we think we finally got somebody who knew what they were doing and changed settings we hope will really help. That was just a couple days ago, so we'll see.

To answer your question, I can't tell you how highly I recommend this particular router!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Me!!!
I have a Netgear Model 6200 wireless router from AT&T. (AT&T says it's the only wireless router compatible with their service.) I've clocked DSL download speeds as high as 5.82Mbps!

When we upgraded to this router, we ordered it online from AT&T. It came loose in a box that was ~3x larger than the router itself. No padding, no packing... loose and bouncing around in the box. I'm guessing refurb and very poorly packaged.

We tried it and it seemed to work, but soon started having problems. Finally I went to a local AT&T outlet and bought another one. Well, I went back to the store a week later when they actually had one in stock. It was well packaged. Installed it and had the same problems.

After numerous calls to their helpdesk, a technician coming to the house, then several more calls, we think we finally got somebody who knew what they were doing and changed settings we hope will really help. That was just a couple days ago, so we'll see.

To answer your question, I can't tell you how highly I recommend this particular router!
Oh, great, thanks. I'll keep it in mind...the very deepest part. :D

I am hoping to get an honest report how well should they download compared to the USB hardwire to that router.
Thanks.

ps.
just finding out that the limit on wi-fi-actual download speeds may be limited by the wi-fi device if its protocol is less than the new ac standard. My laptops are n.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have an older ASUS AC66U (Dark Knight) and I get ~60-70 down and about 5-6 up. I'll check it again later. I am going to upgrade my router next to the newest ASUS, now that I stepped up to the faster modem.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I have an older ASUS AC66U (Dark Knight) and I get ~60-70 down and about 5-6 up. I'll check it again later. I am going to upgrade my router next to the newest ASUS, now that I stepped up to the faster modem.
I have done some research into the 802.11 standards. Boy, I thought Dell would have some answers about the n and ac. After 30 minutes, back to sq 1.
I finally went on line to a couple of informative web sites.
Discovered that the ac standard only affects, for the better, the 5gH band. One laptop to router has 433 Mbs speed indicated on the local area connection window. And it clocks 120 down
The n standard covers the 2.4gh and 5gH band but it is at 150 to router but max on line speed check is
only around 75-85mbs. AC also has wider bandwidth, higher speed.
Also discovered that the laptop has specs of 1x1, 2x2, etc, n on the wi-fi spec section. That applies to the number of antennas for each band in the laptop that has higher on line speed but perhaps not the connection speed to the wi-fi router.
Next upgrades are ac and subsets.
What a trip to get to the bottom of all this.

I will be looking for those better specs on my next laptop, just because. ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I called them because I had an issue and got the $69.99 deal for 200mbps and standard def cable box. Lowered my bill by $13. Not getting the 200mbps yet...

highfigh

highfigh

Well, I have egg on my face :eek:
Should have done a better troubleshooting. It turned out to be a router setting.
Will have a word with no 1 son ;)

But, the wireless laptops still test much slower than the desktop wired to the router but more than before.
Thanks guys.
Which setting?

WiFi can't be as fast as wired- it's part of the design and implementation of preventing data collisions- it's usually about half the speed.

If you want to find the computer's real capabilities, go into the Device Manager, Network Adapters and look for the one(s) you want to see- google the brand/model number and if it doesn't show 802.11ac, it's still capable of good speed, but not close to Gigabit. 802.11n tops out at around 300MBs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis