Time to re-do my system - need your help

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would also be looking at the Hsu VTF-2 mk5 subwoofer in that price range.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
The point, it's not just about sub itself, it's about properly integrating one into the system. Which means using bass management to remove low frequencies from smaller speakers - this allows them to usually play cleaners and with less distortion. Selecting sub with smaller speakers, make sure to get one which could play flat all the way to 200hz or so (not all of them do)
My main budget towers rated to play down to mid 30hz, but adding a sub made huge difference in clarity of playback.
Message seems pretty clear - get a better sub. But, any recommendations for a specific one?
Agree with all the responses here and reason being when I got back into audio I bought the SVS Prime Towers for 99.9% music and the bass response was good which at 30hz-25 khz (3+BD) I was told I wouldn't need a sub...WRONG...I ordered the SVS 2000 and after a little tweaking what I found out was the sound was balance and smoother and heard instruments I hadn't heard before adding the sub, the advice here in AH is like the Surgeon General, without a having a good sub your system will be lacking...cast your vote with these guys, you're won't regret it...Cheers

D

davidbr55

Audioholic Intern
Thanks everyone for the help. I bought the Denon 3300 and the Rythmik LV12R, both of which will arrive this week. I will test them out and report back!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks everyone for the help. I bought the Denon 3300 and the Rythmik LV12R, both of which will arrive this week. I will test them out and report back!
Great choices! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread when you let us know how it turns out. I still have that new subwoofer feeling going right now too. It's a lot of fun. Congratulations!

D

davidbr55

Audioholic Intern
As promised, I'm reporting back.

New receiver and subwoofer have been set up, ran the XT32 optimizer a couple of times, got it all adjusted nicely. The sound is very good and a noticeable improvement from before.

It is not excellent, however. The sound feels a little muffled to me. Also, I expected that the much better subwoofer would allow my MS speakers to focus on the higher frequencies and therefore sound crisper, but it doesn't feel like that's the case. Any ideas as to why these things might be happening?

Also, I wonder if what I did for the subwoofer cable is ok. I'm using my old subwoofer cable, which has one male in (now plugged into subwoofer 1 out of my AVR) and two males out (one now plugged into the LFE input of the Rythmik sub and one unplugged). Is this arrangement ok, or do I need a new cable given the Y-split in mine?

Finally, I'm a little disappointed at the lack of native support for Spotify in the Denon. I can stream it from my phone and that works well, but I can't play it directly from the AVR like I can do for Pandora - am I missing something?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What is your Audyssey setting?

Did you try all three settings (Audyssey Bypass, Audyssey, Audyssey Flat) ?

And turn OFF Audyssey Volume?

Try Audyssey Dynamic EQ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your old sub cable should be fine unless you need to max out the gain on your sub's amp or something.

When I looked at the Spotify part of your manual it does seem to indicate it's just external app controlled...my 4520 is pre-Spotify Connect app and is a bit clunky and right now I can't use my playlists (going back and forth with Denon and Spotify now), altho I do like the idea of not having to have a phone/tablet to use it if I wanted to, though.

As was suggested, need to share a bit more on what you're listening to in what Audyssey mode.

As far as your sub taking up the low end allowing the speaker to focus on the higher frequencies...think that was too much an expectation. Your speakers have limitations is more the way to think about it IMO.

D

davidbr55

Audioholic Intern
As promised, I wanted to report back after finally having time to work on this. After changing some settings with Audyssey, things are working much better. Here's what I ended up with:

MultiEQ XT32: Flat
Dynamic EQ: On
Reference Level Offset: 5 dB
Dynamic Volume: Off

I'm still a little disappointed at the lack of native support for Spotify, but I guess you can't have everything.

Thanks again for the help!!!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
As promised, I wanted to report back after finally having time to work on this. After changing some settings with Audyssey, things are working much better. Here's what I ended up with:

MultiEQ XT32: Flat
Dynamic EQ: On
Reference Level Offset: 5 dB
Dynamic Volume: Off

I'm still a little disappointed at the lack of native support for Spotify, but I guess you can't have everything.

Thanks again for the help!!!
That is exactly where I have mine set. Sometimes I change the offset to 10 depending on what I'm listening to, but 5 is where it pretty much lives for music.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis