Time to Build Some Speakers

catacon

catacon

Audioholic Intern
Well, I just finished my first subwoofer, and I want to build some nice speakers to go with it. Since this will be my first speaker project I'm not looking to spend over $200 for two speakers just in case they don't turn out or whatever. I guess I will use a design from the PE DIY page just so I'm not completely guessing with my design.

I've been looking at the Dayton III (*** = parts express). I want to use the Dayton RS150S-8 6" woofer and the Dayton DC28FS-8 1-1/8" Silk tweeter instead of the paper woofer. Really that is the only thing I want to change with the design (other than maybe beveling the baffles).

Will the 2000Hz crossover point work? I read the tweeter can handle XO points as low as 1800hz and I also heard 2500hz might be high for the woofer, so I guess 2000hz should work well.

So I guess my main questions are:

1) Will the drivers I have work well together and work well in this MTM design?
2) Will a 2000hz crossover point work?

Thanks!

T

tubesaregood

Audioholic
I don't think you'll have a problem. The aluminum/silk combo should sound interesting. The woofer can go to 3500 Hz, but 2000 should work since the tweeter can handle it.

catacon

catacon

Audioholic Intern
I ordered the parts for the budget BOM last night, so I will probably get started with the crossover this week.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis