Time for a new Sub (s) Help!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have an old Paradigm PS1200 I bought new about many many years ago.

I'm still wading through the main speaker process, but I know I want full range speakers for 2.0 listening.

For HT and or maybe supplementing the very bottom end in 2 channel.

Room is not very large, 17x12x9' ceiling...but it's not the typical 4 walls and a door type HT/listening space. It's a loft space with a opening to a hall bath, and a hall to the stairway and a 3ft wide overlook to the main level.

Budget is $1200-$1500

Questions.

Am I better off with 2 subs like the Rythmik LV12R, or 1 bigger sub like the FV15HP?

Sealed or ported? For 60/40 music/movies usage

This is mostly a man cave area. Piano gloss, upgrade finishes are nice but not the drive factor.

I mentioned Rythmik only because I've been researching some and this brand is one I've looked at. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Always pick 2 over 1 if you have the option. You can get a pair of ULS-15 MK2s right at the top of your budget. I think shipping is $150. If you can swing it, it's an amazing deal. Sounds like you have a lot of volume to pressurize.

2channel lover

Always pick 2 over 1 if you have the option. You can get a pair of ULS-15 MK2s right at the top of your budget. I think shipping is $150. If you can swing it, it's an amazing deal. Sounds like you have a lot of volume to pressurize.
Thanks for that insight Pogre...I've heard of the name Hsu just lurking through the sub threads, but have not done any research on them...price is top side of the budget, but if they are better than the Rythmiks I can swing a few extra dollars.

I'll look into these....thanks again.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think you'll want to go ported in a space like that. My philosophy is buy the single best sub you can afford, and save for a second as quickly as you can reasonably. Duals can give more even response across more seats, but with good placement and integration, a single sub can give you great performance until you can get a second one. And no amount of mediocre subs can make up for the extension of a great one. Rythmik is a great option, as well as hsu. I'd start with an fv15hp, and start squirreling for a second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There aren't many affordable mains that have as good a low end response as a sub, curious what you're looking at for your 2.0 use. What are you using for bass management?

I prefer multiple subs in large spaces myself, but prefer more coverage than my own seat so YMMV.

2channel lover

I think you'll want to go ported in a space like that. My philosophy is buy the single best sub you can afford, and save for a second as quickly as you can reasonably. Duals can give more even response across more seats, but with good placement and integration, a single sub can give you great performance until you can get a second one. And no amount of mediocre subs can make up for the extension of a great one. Rythmik is a great option, as well as hsu. I'd start with an fv15hp, and start squirreling for a second.

Thanks William...I've been leaning towards Rythmik and your post kind of confirms my thinking on the larger fv15hp...we're empty nesters (kinda, sorta) and the room basically has two primary seats. I'm not looking to do this again anytime soon (maybe never) so I'd like to get it right on this pass. The larger, ported dual subs make sense with the space being open to other areas and there are other seats in there in case we have guests over, kids come home for a movie, etc.

I don't want to give up the uhmmp for movies, but with music being the majority of my usage, do I lose anything with the ported vs sealed. I'm trying to stay away from the boomy type bass for music that I get with my existing sub.

2channel lover

There aren't many affordable mains that have as good a low end response as a sub, curious what you're looking at for your 2.0 use. What are you using for bass management?

I prefer multiple subs in large spaces myself, but prefer more coverage than my own seat so YMMV.
My current speakers B&W 804 matrix...are not real bass heavy. I've played them 2.0 for the last decade or so because I didn't like what the Paradigm brought to the table. My music taste run the gamut from reggae to classical, and jazz both classic and fusion so I'm sure I've been missing some low end with the B&Ws.

New mains...I've demoed the Revel F208, and they have more low end, and the speaker I'm waiting to demo Salk Song3 have bass extension below 35 I've read, MA Gold 300....basically $5k or less for main speakers.

Bass management...I hate to sound ignorant, but I am here...to date, nothing but my ears. I bought the av7702mkii and it does have EQ software...once I get everything in place I will run it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My current speakers B&W 804 matrix...are not real bass heavy. I've played them 2.0 for the last decade or so because I didn't like what the Paradigm brought to the table. My music taste run the gamut from reggae to classical, and jazz both classic and fusion so I'm sure I've been missing some low end with the B&Ws.

New mains...I've demoed the Revel F208, and they have more low end, and the speaker I'm waiting to demo Salk Song3 have bass extension below 35 I've read, MA Gold 300....basically $5k or less for main speakers.

Bass management...I hate to sound ignorant, but I am here...to date, nothing but my ears. I bought the av7702mkii and it does have EQ software...once I get everything in place I will run it.
Well the AV7702mkii has bass management as well as eq and ability to setup 2.0 vs surround well enough as you want. So before this you "blended" a sub's low pass with your speakers, the speakers not being highpassed at all?

2channel lover

Well the AV7702mkii has bass management as well as eq and ability to setup 2.0 vs surround well enough as you want. So before this you "blended" a sub's low pass with your speakers, the speakers not being highpassed at all?
Oh...the 7702 is about 6 weeks old...in the initial setup I left off the sub so it hasn't been hooked up. Not sure, prior to that, I had an old Onkyo AVR when the sub was hooked up...I thought I had the sub set at 50.

When I get the new speakers/subs I will spend more time setting them up. The current sub I'm giving to my son so I've already moved on from it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh...the 7702 is about 6 weeks old...in the initial setup I left off the sub so it hasn't been hooked up. Not sure, prior to that, I had an old Onkyo AVR when the sub was hooked up...I thought I had the sub set at 50.

When I get the new speakers/subs I will spend more time setting them up. The current sub I'm giving to my son so I've already moved on from it.
Depends on how you set it up in the old avr, but if you used both the bass management in the avr as well as the low pass filter on the sub that may not have yielded best results. I don't think you can go wrong with a pair of FV15HPs in any case :)

2channel lover

Depends on how you set it up in the old avr, but if you used both the bass management in the avr as well as the low pass filter on the sub that may not have yielded best results. I don't think you can go wrong with a pair of FV15HPs in any case :)
Possibly.

I'm looking forward to it...I probably started this build backwards because I bought the pre pro and amps 1st, but my avr was truly old and not working properly, one of the channels was going bad. The speakers were decent and still working fine so buying new electronics I could at least listen to my music that had been stored while this home was being built.

The next few months are going to be fun. Resources like this forum were not around the last time I did this...it really helps.

Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Possibly.

I'm looking forward to it...I probably started this build backwards because I bought the pre pro and amps 1st, but my avr was truly old and not working properly, one of the channels was going bad. The speakers were decent and still working fine so buying new electronics I could at least listen to my music that had been stored while this home was being built.

The next few months are going to be fun. Resources like this forum were not around the last time I did this...it really helps.

Thanks!
So you're looking at what speakers now? If your choice of amp is sufficient for any speaker you end up with not a horrible way to start.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't want to give up the uhmmp for movies, but with music being the majority of my usage, do I lose anything with the ported vs sealed. I'm trying to stay away from the boomy type bass for music that I get with my existing sub.

Well, the first thing is that you're going to be amazed at what you've been missing, with the paradigm. Output, extension, linearity etc. A whole new world. Either brand will be an upgrade but I would pick the rythmik. The other thing is the ported sealed thing just really isn't true. A well designed subwoofer can't be identified by ear, only by eye. Your boomy bass days are over, and you won't believe how much oomph is coming.

2channel lover

So you're looking at what speakers now? If your choice of amp is sufficient for any speaker you end up with not a horrible way to start.
Since I already have most of the amps I guess I'll start there.

At most this will be a 5.2.2 system. Maybe 5.2.4 since I have easy attic access for the ceiling speakers.

I bought 3 of the Outlaw monoblocks for the LCR...the little 2200 model...200 wpc.

To power the surrounds I plan on getting the Outlaw 7140...that way I'm covered if I go with 4 atmos speakers...still about a week to 10 day lead time.

Mains...right now it's down to Revel F208, MA Gold 300, Golden Ear Triton 2, and Salk's Song3 and the matching center.

2channel lover

Well, the first thing is that you're going to be amazed at what you've been missing, with the paradigm. Output, extension, linearity etc. A whole new world. Either brand will be an upgrade but I would pick the rythmik. The other thing is the ported sealed thing just really isn't true. A well designed subwoofer can't be identified by ear, only by eye. Your boomy bass days are over, and you won't believe how much oomph is coming.

I've been told...that's the exciting part of this. My equipment is so old and out dated it will be an awakening to do HT right. Noted on the sealed vs ported.

I appreciate your input and will keep you posted on my progress with the HT/music system.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I've been told...that's the exciting part of this. My equipment is so old and out dated it will be an awakening to do HT right. Noted on the sealed vs ported.

I appreciate your input and will keep you posted on my progress with the HT/music system.
Looking forward to it!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis