THX Certified Display Program Interview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
It's been a while since we last conducted a formal interview with THX and we decided to pick up the phone and speak with Michael Rudd about the new THX Certification Display program. THX display certifications primary goals are to drive quality in manufacturing and help simplify consumer buying decisions. According to THX, having a single testing methodology and specification enables display manufacturers to standardize on one benchmark that is recognized by both industry insiders and consumers alike. We put THX to the test with a series of questions we had about this program to ensure it wasn't just another logo branded on a product to pimp sales.

Discuss "THX Certified Display Program Interview" here. Read the article.

D

drrick

Enthusiast
I asked this question over at AVS, but no one seemed to know the answer. Will THX certified displays have a full-featured color management system? I suppose it's possible that they will be so good out of the box that they will not need calibration, but if not, gamma, grayscale, and color management controls would allow the display to be calibrated to reference. I realize Audioholics hasn't actually had their hands on any of these displays yet, but I'd be curious to know if this is the case. Thanks!

D

drrick

Enthusiast
Some of them are--the higher end ones are I believe, but as I look on their web site, it doesn't seem to have any panels that list THX certification. Maybe the 850u series are the THX certified ones. Right now I only see the 85u. Interestingly, to answer my own question, even the 85u's seem to have a full color management system.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
IMHO it is just another marketing gimmick, a way to charge more for something

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
I asked LG about the 60PG60 and here was the response i received

-----------Reply to Customer Inquiry------------
Dear Aaron, We are delighted to hear from you as our Valued Customer. We appreciate your interest in this television. The model 60PG60 was originally scheduled for release on the second of April. However, it seems that this unit still has not made it to the stores. It is not certain whether this model has been removed from our product line, or if it has merely been delayed. We will do what we can to make this determination. If you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email, or by calling our customer service division at 800-243-0000 at your convenience. Neil E Electronic Correspondence Executive (ECE) LG Electronics USA 800-243-0000

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I like the idea of a setting that is actually correct for watching the TV, instead of the usual poorly adjusted preset settings that most TVs have. "THX Movie Mode" is a good idea, but I suspect that like other THX certified things, this, too, will come with too high of a price.

Frankly, I think the government should require, of all HDTVs, that one of the preset settings to be as close as possible to "correct" for the format designated by the government. There are standards, after all; why not simply require a preset that fits them?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis