Thoughts on Reaction Audio?

D

Defcon

Audioholic
I may be wrong, but to me it seems A doesn't seem to have the success (yet) of other ID companies, and I'm wondering why?

Their products are quite clearly top of line and very competitive in price and specs, you could argue they are the best in fact, their policies are great (free home trial unlike HSU/Rhythmik), and the customer service from what I see on AVS is also top notch. And there's no lack of word of mouth or good reviews.

Yet they have 3-5 week lead times and also charge your CC when you order which to me indicates cash flow issues and a backlog with suppliers maybe. So what's going on?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
They are a pretty new company.
Generally, they seem to be well designed and represent good value. Many people have been very happy with them.
However, you did a nice job of summarizing reasons to be reluctant to pull the trigger with them. Also you will have to pay return shipping if you decide to return them (which is often close to 10% of the price for a subwoofer).
Many of us watched Elemental Designs (another sub company) run itself into the ground and are wary.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I may be wrong, but to me it seems A doesn't seem to have the success (yet) of other ID companies, and I'm wondering why?
There are a few reasons that come to mind.

1. As a new player in an extremely competitive market, it's difficult to grow market share.

2. We don't have any objective measurements of their newer products. What we do have are test bench results on a couple of their older products. While I wouldn't categorize those measurements as awful, they indicated a product that could use a bit of polish to be competitive with the top tier players. Presumably that's been fixed with a new amp and drivers, but some people will still likely be hesitant to jump on board given that and #1.

3. As you noted, Reaction has a significant lead time, which has been a long standing problem. Part of that is just their business model: they're not like Hsu or SVS for example, whose lineups are pretty well fixed. Jeremy will attempt to build just about anything a prospective customer might ask for, i.e. dual 18" sealed subs, 21" ported and sealed subs, and so on. In a sense, they're a small custom shop like Funk, just catering to a lower price point.

D

Defcon

Audioholic
They are a pretty new company.
Generally, they seem to be well designed and represent good value. Many people have been very happy with them.
However, you did a nice job of summarizing reasons to be reluctant to pull the trigger with them. Also you will have to pay return shipping if you decide to return them (which is often close to 10% of the price for a subwoofer).
Many of us watched Elemental Designs (another sub company) run itself into the ground and are wary.
I believe return shipping is free just like PSA and SVS.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I believe return shipping is free just like PSA and SVS.

Not all their products have free return shipping, custom designs all sales final....IIRC.

Custom orders:
Reaction Audio can do custom work and custom finishes upon request.
Just give us a call at 1 888 315 3437 or email us at sales@reactionaudio.net for a price quote and approximate lead time. Custom orders typically take longer for production than standard units. All custom orders are non refundable and sales are final. Custom products come with our standard warranty.

30 Day Trial:

You'll love your new speaker/subwoofer, or we will give you your money back!!!

If your Reaction Audio Speaker/Subwoofer does not surpass your highest expectations, simply contact us within 30 days of receiving them for a return authorization and we will give you a refund. No questions asked. Please call 1-888 - 315 -3437 or e-mail returns@reactionaudio.net for a Return Authorization Code to ensure that a credit can be issued promptly upon return of your speaker/subwoofer.**We only ask that you pay the return shipping**(free on cx-8 and cx-10 in lower 48 states).All other charges will be refunded in full as long as the item is returned to us in good condition. Please note that this does not apply to custom ordered items, which are counted as a final sale. All times custom or non custom do come with our standard warranty. Please be sure to keep all original packaging for returning your item. If you do not have original packaging, please contact us. Please insure the item for the the full purchased price.

If you are returning for an exchange, you are granted one trial. The different item shipped as a replacement will be counted as a final sale.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Not all their products have free return shipping, custom designs all sales final....IIRC.

Custom orders:
Reaction Audio can do custom work and custom finishes upon request.
Just give us a call at 1 888 315 3437 or email us at sales@reactionaudio.net for a price quote and approximate lead time. Custom orders typically take longer for production than standard units. All custom orders are non refundable and sales are final. Custom products come with our standard warranty.

30 Day Trial:

You'll love your new speaker/subwoofer, or we will give you your money back!!!

If your Reaction Audio Speaker/Subwoofer does not surpass your highest expectations, simply contact us within 30 days of receiving them for a return authorization and we will give you a refund. No questions asked. Please call 1-888 - 315 -3437 or e-mail returns@reactionaudio.net for a Return Authorization Code to ensure that a credit can be issued promptly upon return of your speaker/subwoofer.**We only ask that you pay the return shipping**(free on cx-8 and cx-10 in lower 48 states).All other charges will be refunded in full as long as the item is returned to us in good condition. Please note that this does not apply to custom ordered items, which are counted as a final sale. All times custom or non custom do come with our standard warranty. Please be sure to keep all original packaging for returning your item. If you do not have original packaging, please contact us. Please insure the item for the the full purchased price.

If you are returning for an exchange, you are granted one trial. The different item shipped as a replacement will be counted as a final sale.
Bold, italic, and underline above are mine . :)
Unless I'm missing something, it looks like return shipping is always at the customers expense.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General

Their products are quite clearly top of line and very competitive in price and specs, you could argue they are the best in fact, their policies are great (free home trial unlike HSU/Rhythmik), and the customer service from what I see on AVS is also top notch. And there's no lack of word of mouth or good reviews.

Yet they have 3-5 week lead times and also charge your CC when you order which to me indicates cash flow issues and a backlog with suppliers maybe. So what's going on?

Rythmik does offer a return policy:

At Rythmik Audio, we stand behind our products. Our return policy is as follows:

• Warranty is 3 years on eletronics and 5 years on drivers.
  • All returns need a RMA number. Please contact us before you return the product.
  • Complete subwoofers can be returned within 45 days after you receive the unit. In case of return, customers only pay for return shipping.
  • All of our shipments are insured. For damaged shipment, please notify the appropriate postal service immediately.
  • All products carry warranty against defects as specified in the product information web page.
  • Products needing service under warranty should be sent to us insured at your cost. We will either send a new unit or repair the returned unit, at our discretion.
  • All other returns of non-defective units are subject to a restocking fee.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Reaction Audio subs look solid. They are something to consider if you can handle the lead times. They are not a company to buy from if you are in a hurry. If you have patience, you will be rewarded with what looks to be the highest performance for the dollar. At the moment, the best companies for subs under $1k are from Reaction, Rythmik, and Hsu, in my opinion.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I seldom agree with shadyJ but agree with his 3 choices to include Svs + PSA but in no particular order. They all strive to make competitive products within consumers price points but they all don't share the same common goals.

Good luck in your search....

D

Defcon

Audioholic
I seldom agree with shadyJ but agree with his 3 choices to include Svs + PSA but in no particular order. They all strive to make competitive products within consumers price points but they all don't share the same common goals.

Good luck in your search....
Thanks. Since I made this thread I bought a SVS PB-2000, it was a very good price in outlet sale that I couldn't pass up. I've made another thread here about calibrating its gain since I'm having some issues.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I dunno. I made the leap of faith on 2 of the new 1400 watt Gamma 18s for the 2 channel rig. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

DJ

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Reaction Audio subs look solid. They are something to consider if you can handle the lead times. They are not a company to buy from if you are in a hurry. If you have patience, you will be rewarded with what looks to be the highest performance for the dollar. At the moment, the best companies for subs under $1k are from Reaction, Rythmik, and Hsu, in my opinion.
Ya.. still feel the same way about RA. I wonder how many folks you lead down this dead end street...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ya.. still feel the same way about RA. I wonder how many folks you lead down this dead end street...
So are you going to root through all my old posts to see what products I suggested which turned out to be a bit iffy? I feel sad for you, and to save you some time, I will tell you I have recommended products from Elemental Designs, Epik, and I think I mentioned that the AV123 products looked good once. I even recommended Power Sound Audio subs before, and boy do I regret that one. I must confess to not having a crystal ball to see the future stability of these companies, and if you want to hold that against me, you go right ahead.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Not really about you.... but merely pointing out that RA is not a viable alternative to any of the aforementioned ID subs. You have those who traffic here often don't travel to AVS....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Not really about you.... but merely pointing out that RA is not a viable alternative to any of the aforementioned ID subs. You have those who traffic here often don't travel to AVS....
@billy p
sorry, what I did I miss about RA? and I purposely don't travel to AVS. please post direct link

Edit: NVM, I found the RA official tantrum forum on AVS
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1661937-official-reaction-audio-thread-110.html

I feel back about this. Though I never was Jeremy's customer - I was very close to be so.
Scaling biz up is not easy. It usually takes a lot of existing experience to avoid common pitfalls

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, please inform us, I'm not a frequent lurker at AVS.

PSA and RA, have they both gotten to be unreliable or something?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

It's issue , as it seems solely based on AVS posts, RA delays lately became much, MUCH longer and Jeremy started to issues refund to multiple customers

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0

A lot of people over at AVS are reporting extreme delays versus the original quoted lead times with RA. Customers requesting refunds are also reporting experiencing unacceptable delays getting their money back. Not exactly a good sign.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1512281-reaction-audio-subs-200.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2296298-will-reaction-audio-still-around-5-years-9.html

I don't believe PSA is experiencing any such issues at this juncture.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
A lot of people over at AVS are reporting extreme delays versus the original quoted lead times with RA. Customers requesting refunds are also reporting experiencing unacceptable delays getting their money back. Not exactly a good sign.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1512281-reaction-audio-subs-200.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2296298-will-reaction-audio-still-around-5-years-9.html

I don't believe PSA is experiencing any such issues at this juncture.
Man, I skimmed through the last few pages on those threads and it doesn't seem good. Hopefully the reality of the situation is that he's pumping out subs and speakers and fulfilling orders while there are just a few noisy unhappy customers on the forums.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
One of the posters who is owed a substantial sum was looking to build a distribution network/partnership with Jeremy in the far East... apparently he's being waiting for his subs since last year....iirc....he received a partial shipment of RA speakers.

Personally....I was not a fan of his business model....IMO....it was destined to fail and it has....who in their right mind would even consider buying from RA...even if he rights the ships....these complains with lead time and quality assurance protocol have being going on for sometime...I have an acquaintance whose CX speakers arrived with defective xover but he didn't express his concerns until others voiced similar anomalies in recent posts....all this nice guy...BS.....you know were nice guys finish in the real world....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis