Thoughts on Amp / Processor --Marantz, Nad, Emotiva

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Wanted to get some info on pairing up an amp and processor.

Reading up on the hometheatermag review of the Marantz 7005/7055, I think I am sold on the 7005 as my processor, but from that review, they make it seem like the 7055 doesn't quite measure up to some of the other amps out there. Due to this, I am considering using a Nad T755 or T795 as my amp. The only drawback that I can see to this approach is that neither of those have XLR balanced inputs, while the 7055 does.

Anybody running the 7005 with a Nad Amp? If so, which amp and what are your thoughts on the sound quality of this pairing? What about the Nad pre/pro? I've read some reviews that seem like Nad is great for sound, but maybe a bit behind the curve for processors, thus my idea of pairing the marantz pro with nad amp.

Also, how about some thoughts on Emotiva? I don't like that I can't really audition Emotvia as they are internet co. only. Any good or bad info on these guys?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Forgot to mention

I forgot to mention, I am running a pair of the goldenear triton 2s, a 50C center, and havent bought the surrounds yet.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
As an owner of the Marantz AV7005 I think you have made a good choice.:)

As far as amps go I think you would be fine with the 7055 or the NAD if you want to spend the extra money. I have a friend over on AVS that was using a bryston amp with his 7005 and has Salk songtower speakers. He recently changed to a Denon A-100 receiver and has said he has seen no loss in quality. His Bryston is rated with much more power but going to a receiver he did not feel like he lost anything other than the separates bragging.

I use ATI amps which are made in the USA and are fully balanced. ATI makes amps for several other companies and also own the high end Theta brand. I purchased mine on audiogon as "b-stock" but came with full warranties and saved me several thousand dollars.

I have also owned Emotiva amps and overall I think they were a fine product. I had an MPS-1 which was a modular design which seemed cool at first but was a pia in the long run. The XPA line of Emotiva amps have a very high output impedence which has caused some users to max out the level cut running audyssey. Audyssey has a max of +/- 12db and many users are seeing -12db when running balanced connections. Most amps have a lower output on balanced vs. unbalanced and for some reason Emotiva is the opposite. This does not directly effect sound quality but does not give Audyssey the proper range of adjustment and may not allow you to get the best sound.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Wanted to get some info on pairing up an amp and processor.

Reading up on the hometheatermag review of the Marantz 7005/7055, I think I am sold on the 7005 as my processor, but from that review, they make it seem like the 7055 doesn't quite measure up to some of the other amps out there. Due to this, I am considering using a Nad T755 or T795 as my amp. The only drawback that I can see to this approach is that neither of those have XLR balanced inputs, while the 7055 does.

Anybody running the 7005 with a Nad Amp? If so, which amp and what are your thoughts on the sound quality of this pairing? What about the Nad pre/pro? I've read some reviews that seem like Nad is great for sound, but maybe a bit behind the curve for processors, thus my idea of pairing the marantz pro with nad amp.

Also, how about some thoughts on Emotiva? I don't like that I can't really audition Emotvia as they are internet co. only. Any good or bad info on these guys?
You don't XLR UNLESS your runs from pre-amp to amp are very long and therefore susceptable to picking up EM noise or you are in a high noise area from an EM point of view.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I forgot to mention, I am running a pair of the goldenear triton 2s, a 50C center, and havent bought the surrounds yet.
I think the 7055 may be a little weak for those speakers. The NAD T755 will be even worse. As 3 dB said unless your are running relatively long interconnects between the AV7005 and the amp you don't need to use XLR. Then you can consider the Parasound classic series amps. Or you must have XLR then ADTG (the guy who has tons of amps and high end speakers) typically recommends ATI and I can also recommend Anthem amps such as the MCA50. If you are on a tight budget then consider the XPA-5 or an Outlaw product.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That looks like one of my old external hard drives, man.:D

M

mortonconst

Audioholic Intern
i have the emotiva xpa 5. it is a great amp. it is the only amp that have owned so i cannot compare it to others (sorry) but it works well for me. it seemed as if i was able to hear more tiny details in the music with the xpa 5 that i did not hear with just my yamaha rxv2065. next on my list is to purchase a pair of xpa 1's.

i just had to comment on the emotiva product because i really am happy with mine.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My two Emotiva amps produce quality audio, but the hardware quality is average, they produce an audible hum even in standby mode (so I turn them off whenever they aren't in use), and the customer service for the two bad amps that I received was extremely lacking and frustrating. They were eager to sell them to me, responding to e-mails almost instantly before I bought them, but then seemed utterly disinterested in supporting them. Poor hardware quality is forgiveable with good service to me, and poor service is forgiveable with good hardware, but poor hardware and poor service was too much for me.

Plenty of people are happy with them, but not everyone.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
My thoughts are if you want quality amps, that last forever, but the company that DOES have quality service, then get Parasound.

As for Emotiva, from many posts I've read, and knowing some of the things that company has done, I would not buy anything from them. And as mentioned here, their amps produce hum, not worth buying.

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
another quality amp with exceptional service is bryston ( bulit like tanks ) . Mine mustbe over 25 years old and running like new

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis