This is what boredom will do to you...

sdy284

sdy284

Audioholic
You start to draw your speakers in a 3D modeling program
(solidworks 2006 in my case)

as you can see, i still have a lot of work to do...
Needs a tweeter & a few other things, speaker grill, that silver thing above the woofer, I'm gonna get the woodgrain on there eventually, and I'm going to create an actual woofer (with a magnet, voice coil, etc), instead of a disc...that looks like a woofer. And once that is done, i'm gonna try to more accurately create the speaker cabinet...

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not bad. What's with the resolution? It looks so basic in the left view. Inventor's standard settings, even with the default materials, look better than that, IMO. I haven't used Solidworks in a LONG time. Currently using Inventor R10.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Way cool *S*

sdy284 said:
You start to draw your speakers in a 3D modeling program
(solidworks 2006 in my case)

as you can see, i still have a lot of work to do...
Needs a tweeter & a few other things, speaker grill, that silver thing above the woofer, I'm gonna get the woodgrain on there eventually, and I'm going to create an actual woofer (with a magnet, voice coil, etc), instead of a disc...that looks like a woofer. And once that is done, i'm gonna try to more accurately create the speaker cabinet...
is that freeware or something you bought? I would like to render my HT room usin a cad package.

sdy284

sdy284

Audioholic
3db said:
is that freeware or something you bought? I would like to render my HT room usin a cad package.
just as jgarcia said..its definately not freeware

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
sts9fan said:
check out the remdering my buddy did for me on Microstation

www.freeimagehosting.net/b34e4ded7a.jpg

For some reason if you click on it it won't work. If you cut and paste it works fine.
Doesn't look photo realistic, but it looks pretty good; the stand for sure. The brick reminds me a bit too much of the old DOOM :D Yeah, pasting it worked.

sdy284

sdy284

Audioholic
j_garcia said:
Doesn't look photo realistic, but it looks pretty good; the stand for sure. The brick reminds me a bit too much of the old DOOM :D Yeah, pasting it worked.
heh, you have some pretty high standards dont ya

sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
Well he did it for me in 15min just so I could see it in 3d. He is an industrial designer who works for a "design/build" firm the stuff he does for them is amazing.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
sdy284 said:
heh, you have some pretty high standards dont ya
:D When you see and use this stuff on a daily basis, I guess you become spoiled with it and get used to what the software is capable of. I've seen some incredible, near lifelike images come out of Inventor and Solidworks. (I used to work with some guys who did game animation for some of the big name game companies too...)

W

wackii

Audiophyte
How hard and how long does it that to model something like that? I would like to model a sub for a friend. Thanks.

Al,

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
j_garcia said:
Solidworks is definitely not freeware.
I think we paid around $7000 per seat. (not sure I didn't write the check)

If you haven't used it for a while, the improvements are impressive. I can't compare it to inventor, but it's far easier to use than Pro-E.

The sheet metal package has made my life much easier.

sdy284

sdy284

Audioholic
wackii said:
How hard and how long does it that to model something like that? I would like to model a sub for a friend. Thanks.

Al,
Well if you do it right the first time...not long ;)
but, i didn't do it right the first time, so it took me prolly around an hour or 2 to do. But i havent used the program for a few years so i'm getting back into it. it also depends on how much detail you want to incorporate into your drawing. you can go down to the tinest minute detail. Or you can just ballpark things. It really matters on how much time you want to put into it

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
NomoSony said:
If you haven't used it for a while, the improvements are impressive. I can't compare it to inventor, but it's far easier to use than Pro-E.
I used to hate Pro-E, but Wildfire is actually quite good, a HUGE improvement for them. The funny thing is, the new interface looks a lot like Inventor...:p, only more powerful.

This was done in Inventor, 5 releases back with no textures.

This is right in Inventor with textures:

I was just recruited to work on a project working on the recreation of the plane that this prop goes to for a museum :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis