Thinking Remote Might be Spyware!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Looking into a universal remote and I come across Bestjoy SR001. Seems it is made in China. My first impression was: Nope. Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent. You need to download the app onto your phone. Fabulous ---- Not!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Dang! Sofabaton is also made in China!!

Edit: I just learned Sofabaton is California based. But made in China. That's different... I hope!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I just bought a Sofabaton U2 delivering today.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Dang! Sofabaton is also made in China!!

Edit: I just learned Sofabaton is California based. But made in China. That's different... I hope!
Doesn't matter where a company is based, if the product is electronic and connects to the internet, it's a gigantic NOPE for me. Some components can be OK, but if something is on the NDAA list of brands to avoid, I'm not using it. HikVision and other brands are on the list and are prone to security vulnerability.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Doesn't matter where a company is based, if the product is electronic and connects to the internet, it's a gigantic NOPE for me. Some components can be OK, but if something is on the NDAA list of brands to avoid, I'm not using it. HikVision and other brands are on the list and are prone to security vulnerability.
I didn't see Sofabaton on the lists there. But what you are saying is you are off the grid. Even Fred Flintstone had a bird inside his camera that might sing like a canary.

highfigh

highfigh

I tried one- tech support and device database were almost non-existent. They seemed to be trying to gather device codes from users in a way that's similar to the way Harmony did, but I seriously doubt they'll be willing to check commands for errors and fix bad ones, the way Harmony still does. The Sofabaton X-1 looks great, but I have seen very few videos from that company and if they want to sell their products, they need to show how it works and how it's programmed.

Most remote control companies are moving to IP control and apps, even for remotes that can be similar to the usual hand-held type- the ones that can do the most aren't directly available to consumers and the software is only available to dealers. That doesn't mean some dealers will make it available to end users, but the learning curve for using it makes it unusable for most and the rest will barrage the manufacturer with questions and that's exactly the reason it's only available to dealers who need to be trained to use it because each brand does things differently.

highfigh

highfigh

I didn't see Sofabaton on the lists there. But what you are saying is you are off the grid. Even Fred Flintstone had a bird inside his camera that might sing like a canary.
No, I use Harmony remotes and brands that aren't listed by the NDAA. As a dealer of surveillance cameras, I can't sell equipment when security is required and some of my customers are governed by the SEC, which requires NDAA compliance.

Do you remember Apex DVD players? Very cheap and had a lot of good functions, except security. Swann DVRs were hacked, too.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Seems like there is more than one way to program it. You can program it from your exsisting remotes.

highfigh

highfigh

I don't recall those.
I'm old and my memory is absurd. Apex DVD players could be bought at grocery stores for $39.99 and $49.99- the cheaper one could be updated by connecting it to the network, the other needed to be updated via thumb drive. Crazy- it was around 2004 or 2005 when the owner was indicted for some kind of financial crime.

highfigh

highfigh

He had a cool record player that used a bird, too.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Watch you bank account. You could easily be opening up a back door a mile wide. In addition remotes seem to be moving from IR to wireless which makes universal remotes useless. That remote you bought won't work with Comcast and it would not work with my LG TV. I much prefer wireless to IR by the way. It is much more certain.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Watch you bank account. You could easily be opening up a back door a mile wide. In addition remotes seem to be moving from IR to wireless which makes universal remotes useless. That remote you bought won't work with Comcast and it would not work with my LG TV. I much prefer wireless to IR by the way. It is much more certain.
I'll be putting it on my tablet and not my phone. No bank app on the tablet. Hopefully that's a better situation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis