there are some sockets on my stereo avril lavigne

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I'm starting this one in a less than serious manner. I was trying to provoke Google for different results so I've been punching in different versions of the question about power sockets on my amp. It was when Google offered sockets of Avril Lavigne that I've decided to stop and ask here.

What are these for:
upload_2017-5-17_16-39-28.png

And to end in the same tone, could I plug in my mixer and turn the volume to the highest for the fluffiest most heavenly foam ever witnessed?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm starting this one in a less than serious manner. I was trying to provoke Google for different results so I've been punching in different versions of the question about power sockets on my amp. It was when Google offered sockets of Avril Lavigne that I've decided to stop and ask here.

What are these for:
View attachment 20973

And to end in the same tone, could I plug in my mixer and turn the volume to the highest for the fluffiest most heavenly foam ever witnessed?
Those are power outlets, and by the looks of it those are JAPANESE power outlets. And, they are switched on/off with the device.

Are you in the USA? Where did you get that device?

Likely it would be usable if you had the correct adapter to allow for a USA-style plug to fit it.

Yes, the rated power is clear, DO NOT EXCEED 100W total on those outlets. Look at the power consumption on the rear panel for whatever you want to plug in there. Is it <100W? Then go for it (but don't plug in anything on the other one that would exceed 100W).

In practice, it may be a safer bet not to exceed 75W.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Those are power outlets, and by the looks of it those are JAPANESE power outlets. And, they are switched on/off with the device.

Are you in the USA? Where did you get that device?

Likely it would be usable if you had the correct adapter to allow for a USA-style plug to fit it.

Yes, the rated power is clear, DO NOT EXCEED 100W total on those outlets. Look at the power consumption on the rear panel for whatever you want to plug in there. Is it <100W? Then go for it (but don't plug in anything on the other one that would exceed 100W).

In practice, it may be a safer bet not to exceed 75W.
I wasn't really expecting this answer. Seriously? You can plug things into those sockets? Why would you plug something into your amp instead of wall outlet? I don't have the need for them, I wanted to understand what they do.

I'm in EU. We have these as well. Why do they put them on avr's? Surely this is far more prone for misinterpretation and potentially hazardous?

kd

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They are there so that other devices also receive power when the receiver is turned on. Usually one is always on and the other is switched or both are switched. More commonly used for something like a dvd player or other low power device; not something like an external amp or powered sub.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I wasn't really expecting this answer. Seriously? You can plug things into those sockets? Why would you plug something into your amp instead of wall outlet? I don't have the need for them, I wanted to understand what they do.

I'm in EU. We have these as well. Why do they put them on avr's? Surely this is far more prone for misinterpretation and potentially hazardous?

kd
Yup, that's what they are. Just don't exceed 100W. Perhaps you want to power a turntable or an EQ, but only when the amp is powered up, that's exactly what they are for.

But, historically it seems that too many people didn't understand this, and they would plug a POWER AMP into those plugs and cause problems. So, you don't really see these very often on modern gear. By that rationale, I would wager a guess that this gear is 10+ years old?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Used to be just about every receiver/pre-amp had such plugs, sometimes switched, sometimes unswitched. Last time I used one was for my turntable and graphic eq, lol.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Another thing you can do is plug in a 12 volt power supply to that and trigger devices that have a 12 volt trigger input on them. This includes most amplifiers and projection screens. So, with a 12 volt power supply you can trigger an amp to power on and make the screen come down anytime the A/V receiver is powered on.

Many older cable boxes used to have a power connection on the back of them as well. Limited power, but it could be useful in certain situations.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
This is really unexpected! It is becoming more and more interesting. Now I think I want them even when I buy new amp. My avr IS older than 10 years, someone asked.

When you use the term "switched" are you trying to say something like: not always on but comes on when amp is turned on?

@BMXTRIX thanks! Now I know about those "trigger" inputs as well. I sooo misunderstood those thinking it's for some older universal remote controls whose receiver you'd plug in into those trigger ports to make them usable/compatible.

From what you all said here it obviously bypasses the volume knob, but does it take away from the amp's strength when used for powering a TT or some other unit?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Another thing you can do is plug in a 12 volt power supply to that and trigger devices that have a 12 volt trigger input on them. This includes most amplifiers and projection screens. So, with a 12 volt power supply you can trigger an amp to power on and make the screen come down anytime the A/V receiver is powered on.

Many older cable boxes used to have a power connection on the back of them as well. Limited power, but it could be useful in certain situations.
That is a good idea, really almost a hack!

I never even thought of that!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
This is really unexpected! It is becoming more and more interesting. Now I think I want them even when I buy new amp. My avr IS older than 10 years, someone asked.

When you use the term "switched" are you trying to say something like: not always on but comes on when amp is turned on?

@BMXTRIX thanks! Now I know about those "trigger" inputs as well. I sooo misunderstood those thinking it's for some older universal remote controls whose receiver you'd plug in into those trigger ports to make them usable/compatible.

From what you all said here it obviously bypasses the volume knob, but does it take away from the amp's strength when used for powering a TT or some other unit?
New amps are not likely to have those. There may be a few, but it will likely be a chore to find one.

Yes, "switched" means when the amp is off, there is no power to the outlet, when the amp is on the outlet has power. Quite convenient.

You seem to still be a bit confused on those outlets. It's just a power outlet, same as what is on your wall! It has NOTHING to do with the volume knob. It is basically just a pig-tail off the mains lines inside the chassis of the amp (on your model, the pigtail also runs through the power switch first). It will NOT take away any power--BUT DO NOT EXCEED 100 WATTS ON THOSE OUTLETS, OR YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS!

Concerning the 12V Trigger--It is just that, a TRIGGER signal. It provides 12V (and very little current) when needed to trigger a different state on a different device. The most common use would be to auto-trigger an amp to power up when you power up your pre-amp. Or, trigger a motorized screen to drop down when your AVR powers up. Or, to trigger the hot-tub and disco-ball when you power up the AVR ;)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Most receivers have gotten rid of the power outlet on the back because not only were they abused, but modern A/V gear almost all has discrete power on/off and if it should be powered on with the receiver, then that device typically uses a 12v trigger.

A fair number of better A/V receivers still maintain the 12v trigger output to turn an external amp on/off or to drop a screen.

For example: https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx3300w

I use triggers for several things in my setup, but my setup is crazy, so... go figure. I use dedicated power supplies for those things.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
It says my Yamaha avr draws 210W to work.

From what I gather, there's even less worry if I was to use these for triggering other units? (coming from the slippery's formulation "12V (and very little current))

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It says my Yamaha avr draws 210W to work.

From what I gather, there's even less worry if I was to use these for triggering other units? (coming from the slippery's formulation "12V (and very little current))
Like I said, the spec is clearly stated, there is NO reason to worry about anything at all AS LONG AS YOU DON'T EXCEED 100W. Exceed 100W and you SHOULD expect trouble.

12V * 1A = 12W (for example)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Like I said, the spec is clearly stated, there is NO reason to worry about anything at all AS LONG AS YOU DON'T EXCEED 100W. Exceed 100W and you SHOULD expect trouble.

12V * 1A = 12W (for example)
No need to yell. I read what you wrote. It was you who actually told me to look on the back of the avr to see how much W it needs to work, so I did and came back here with that info.

Furthermore, saying that it is less likely to cause problems if only triggering other units instead of powering them... I don't see a reason to yell. Something must have triggered you, if you'll excuse the pun :D I just don't see what.

I did take into account all you said and thank you for replying and helping me, but don't mind if I go on into some specifics or minute details. Why would that be wrong?

kd

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis