The World's Most Expensive Headphones

Homer Bluth

Homer Bluth

Audiophyte
The more I learn about headphones, the more I am amazed by the constantly evolving technologies and the drive that many manufacturer's have to strive to create the greatest headphone on Earth. That being said, have you seen some of the more advanced and expensive headphones out there? Some of them are expensive as a car! For those of you interested, here is a list of the 5 current most expensive headphones:

1. Sennheiser Orpheus HE1060 - $55,000
2. Abyss AB-1266 - $5,495
3. Final Audio Sonorous X - $4,999

4. STAX SR-009 - $4,450
5. Ultrasone Edition 5 - $4,299

If you have personally tried any of these 5 crazy expensive headphones, what are your thoughts on them? Are they worth it?

Information care of Headphone Charts

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
You list the Sennheiser Orpheus "MK2", the "MK1" still sells as used for around 15k$ I believe. I have not heard any of those headphones but I have heard the Stax SR-L700 that sell for around 1.5k$ (2.5k$ with amp) and I must say that those are best headphones I have heard, or earspeakers as Stax calls them.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Speaking of headphones, yesterday I came across some interesting cans to watch for.
I saw writings of these cans few weeks ago and I believe these are trying to compete with HiFiMan headphones. Would like to hear how these compare to HiFiMan as these are a lot cheaper!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I saw writings of these cans few weeks ago and I believe these are trying to compete with HiFiMan headphones. Would like to hear how these compare to HiFiMan as these are a lot cheaper!
Don't think it's as competing per-se... ;);) more like OEM rebrand...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Don't think it's as competing per-se... ;);) more like OEM rebrand...
I've noted many items that Monoprice has that are rebadged. Looking at 3D printers, same story, same device as other manufacturer just has the MP label.

I'm OK with that! Saves me $!

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
The more I learn about headphones, the more I am amazed by the constantly evolving technologies and the drive that many manufacturer's have to strive to create the greatest headphone on Earth. That being said, have you seen some of the more advanced and expensive headphones out there? Some of them are expensive as a car! For those of you interested, here is a list of the 5 current most expensive headphones:

1. Sennheiser Orpheus HE1060 - $55,000
2. Abyss AB-1266 - $5,495
3. Final Audio Sonorous X - $4,999

4. STAX SR-009 - $4,450
5. Ultrasone Edition 5 - $4,299

If you have personally tried any of these 5 crazy expensive headphones, what are your thoughts on them? Are they worth it?

Information care of Headphone Charts
It is all relative to how much disposable money you have. Performance is not linear with the money you spend. I have a Beyer dt 880 and a Senny hd 650. Inside the 150Hz -18kHz they sound as good as any high end headphone. Take a look on the website innerfidelity - measurements section. For some time I contemplated buying Stax SR-009.
The Stax shine across the entire bandwidth - and they play cleaner at higher volume (you can damage your hearing with clean, quality sound :)). Now - the THD for my headphones in the bass range is still better than what you get from a 2-3k$ subwoofer so I am happy.
But - if you want something that has the ultimate sound - only stats will do in my experience.
Are the Stax SR-009 worth the money? You bet! (Provided you have that much money in your "Toy's ur us" budget).

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

It is all relative to how much disposable money you have. Performance is not linear with the money you spend. I have a Beyer dt 880 and a Senny hd 650. Inside the 150Hz -18kHz they sound as good as any high end headphone. Take a look on the website innerfidelity - measurements section. For some time I contemplated buying Stax SR-009.
The Stax shine across the entire bandwidth - and they play cleaner at higher volume (you can damage your hearing with clean, quality sound :)). Now - the THD for my headphones in the bass range is still better than what you get from a 2-3k$ subwoofer so I am happy.
But - if you want something that has the ultimate sound - only stats will do in my experience.
Are the Stax SR-009 worth the money? You bet! (Provided you have that much money in your "Toy's ur us" budget).
Have you actually compared those said headphones to higher end headphones as you say they will sound the same on specific frequency range? They don't sound the same. I have listened to Stax SR-L700 and it is completely different experience to Sennheiser HD600/650 or Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990.

B

BrianT

Enthusiast
What makes the Sennheiser Orpheus HE1060 that expensive? Built-quality, materials, sound?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

What makes the Sennheiser Orpheus HE1060 that expensive? Built-quality, materials, sound?
Limited release that is marketed to people who can afford it. I have heard they sound good as well, but I doubt they sound 55k$ good.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Have you actually compared those said headphones to higher end headphones as you say they will sound the same on specific frequency range? They don't sound the same. I have listened to Stax SR-L700 and it is completely different experience to Sennheiser HD600/650 or Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990.
I have listened to the STAX SR-009 and 007 on a STAX amplifier + benchmark DAC. Yes they are amazing - clean and "fast". What STAX adds is bass with NO distortion - incredible. STAX also handles power very well. Especially 009. And yes you are right - they are different than the dynamic headphones. I'd still call them an incremental upgrade over HD 650 / DT 880 (600 ohm) who are clean, good headphones (with so-and-so bass).

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
For home listening my Grado headphones are amazing. Less than 100 bucks too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis