The Truth About Digital Class D Amplifiers

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Chief Engineer for Phillips Digital Systems Labs Bruno Putzeys was nice enough to share his thoughts on the new trend popping up in the consumer audio world of audio amplification known as digital amplifiers. &nbsp;While this technology is not new, it is becoming more commonplace in the market these days with companies such as Sony, Yamaha, Philips, Tact and others leading the way. &nbsp;The question remains however, is will these companies have the foresight and engineering know how to produce accurate and transparent audiophile grade quality amplification that traditional well designed linear amps are known for? &nbsp;

The Truth About Digital Class D Amplifiers</font>

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>Hi
The one other thing about digital amps that should be mentioned is that they are much more cost effective for
a manufacturer to build than a conventional analog based amp. Profit margins are one of the main reasons for manufacturers to bring this technology to market. There is a thread going on as we speak at a different site claiming that the Panasonic XR 45 Receiver @ $299 is a Krell killer. &nbsp;Hmmmm now all we need to do is throw Tubes into the mix and we will have a grand ole war. Yea, I admit it, I am a tube head from the 70's &nbsp;
&nbsp;As long as you are able to read through the manufacturers claims of &quot;better&quot; when they mean &quot;cheaper&quot; I think you will be O.K.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Interesting read on the Panasonic SA-XR45 6 channel receiver here.

Newform

Click on th August update.

This receiver has both class D amps and switchmode power supply. Unfortunately they seem to have focused on cost reduction rather than performance, but it did rather well anyway according to the review.</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi,
Over the last 4 or 5 years in the process of developing a Media room I've read reviews on many products. &nbsp;When it comes the ones that supply the power the reviewer will say &quot;This amp operates in class (?)&quot; and then goes on to describe other features or capabilities.

I have no idea what these clasifications mean or how they should affect my opinion of the unit.
My personal choice has been the one box Denon 5800/03 solution for both power and function distribution. &nbsp;I haven't a clue what classification &nbsp;it falls under.

Is there a site I can go to which describes these classifications in a language that a layman can understand and probably more importantly since my goal is to listen to music or movies and not my equipment, should I care when making purchasing decisions in the future?

thanks,
Peter m.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Peter M,

As far as I know majority of the receivers in today's market operate in class AB and that includes Yamaha, SONY, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz and many more.

Suffice to say that if it sounds better to your ears, specs and classification be dammned.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Peter,

Here's a few sites.

www.duncanamps.com/technical/ampclasses.html
www.tpub.com/neets/book7/25e.htm
www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/ampclass.htm
(sorry I gave up trying to make the links work after the tenth time)

The last one includes an explanation of class D with a nice little animated graphic.

In essence the designation refers to the final output stage of the (power) amplifier. It goes as follows.

Class A: Output devices biased to conduct 100% of the time.
Class B: Complementary pairs of output devices each biased to conduct 50% of the time.
Class AB: Complementary pairs of output devices each biased to conduct slightly more than 50% of the time.
Class C: (not used in audio) Output devices biased to conduct less than 50% of the time.
Class D: Pulse amplifier where output devices are switched hard on/off with on time between near 0% of the time and near 100% of the time.

Yamahalover, sometimes the advantages are not all sonic. There are other considerations like size, efficiency and cost.</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Thanks,Paul

I'm not sure how much I'll understand but hopefully when I'm reading equipment reviews that refer to these classifications, it'll be more meaningful to me.

Peter m.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis