The Shannara Chronicles

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I've only watched about an hour of the first episode, but so far this show...........................................

SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the first hour NOTHING that happened on the screen was in the book. They changed pretty much everything and not for the better. The dialog has been completely dumbed down and sounds like a conversation between teens at the mall. The characters are one dimensional. This show needs to get better quick because so far I HATE it.

Such a bummer because I've been waiting decades for these books to be brought to life.

SCREW YOU MTV!!!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have not read any books in this series.

I've seen four episodes of the show. The production value is very impressive. The scenes and picture quality are magnificent. But as I expected, MTV screwed it up with the acting, directing, story, dialogue, etc.

I don't think it's as horrible as some shows. But it's not among the best. I rate it 7.0 (out of 10).

MTV sucks.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I had no experience with the books and I recorded it just to check it out and thought my 12 year old might like it. I didn't think it was that bad and I think she will like it. I'll probably keep watching just to have a show to watch with her.

Now if you want a really good new show. Check out The Expanse on SciFi. So far that is my favorite show on right now.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I've only watched about an hour of the first episode, but so far this show...........................................

SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the first hour NOTHING that happened on the screen was in the book. They changed pretty much everything and not for the better. The dialog has been completely dumbed down and sounds like a conversation between teens at the mall. The characters are one dimensional. This show needs to get better quick because so far I HATE it.

Such a bummer because I've been waiting decades for these books to be brought to life.

SCREW YOU MTV!!!!!

I've read the entire series, between 20 - 30 books. I have PVR'd the first session but haven't watched it yet. Which book are they starting with?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I had no experience with the books and I recorded it just to check it out and thought my 12 year old might like it. I didn't think it was that bad and I think she will like it. I'll probably keep watching just to have a show to watch with her.

Now if you want a really good new show. Check out The Expanse on SciFi. So far that is my favorite show on right now.
After 4 episodes of Shannara, I didn't think it was bad either. I just didn't think it was awesome like Game of Thrones or Vikings or even the new Beowulf series.

I get the feeling Shannara was targeted at younger audiences like 14-25 YRs. It seems like the younger characters just don't act very seriously enough. Maybe they just can't act. Or just bad writing. :D

I mean if my world were potentially nearing armageddon, I wouldn't be cracking too many jokes like some of these characters.

I've only seen 2 episodes of The Expanse. The characters here definitely act very seriously. I like that. They should be serious. Their worlds are dire. But so far, it hasn't hooked me like Battlestar Galactica or especially Game of Thrones did. Hopefully I'll be hooked after episode 3. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've read the entire series, between 20 - 30 books. I have PVR'd the first session but haven't watched it yet. Which book are they starting with?
I heard book 2 of the Shannara Trilogy.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
After 4 episodes of Shannara, I didn't think it was bad either. I just didn't think it was awesome like Game of Thrones or Vikings or even the new Beowulf series.

I get the feeling Shannara was targeted at younger audiences like 14-25 YRs. It seems like the younger characters just don't act very seriously enough. Maybe they just can't act. Or just bad writing. :D

I mean if my world were potentially nearing armageddon, I wouldn't be cracking too many jokes like some of these characters.

I've only seen 2 episodes of The Expanse. The characters here definitely act very seriously. I like that. They should be serious. Their worlds are dire. But so far, it hasn't hooked me like Battlestar Galactica or especially Game of Thrones did. Hopefully I'll be hooked after episode 3. :D

Thats it!!! I'm gonna quit reading now!!! :eek: I rather see a series blind with no background information to ruin it. :oops: However that doesn't protect me from bad acting..just bad scripting.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thats it!!! I'm gonna quit reading now!!! :eek: I rather see a series blind with no background information to ruin it. :oops:
There is no way any show will be better than the books. So you are royally SCREWED. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just wish all the acting in Shannara was more serious like in Game of Thrones. Any minute could be your last. :D

If I want to laugh, I'll watch a comedy.

The acting in Shannara is most definitely not as good as Game of Thrones or Vikings.

On a more positive note, I like Shannara Chronicles much more than Star Wars 7. :D

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed. I like expanse, but I don't love it... yet?? It's not Firefly nor B5, but it's more "realistic" about life on vast space stations and how large corps will go to lengths to screw up regular Joe
Timing of episode release is a bit unusual given large xmas break - that doesn't help to keep viewers hanging

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed. I like expanse, but I don't love it... yet?? It's not Firefly nor B5, but it's more "realistic" about life on vast space stations and how large corps will go to lengths to screw up regular Joe
Timing of episode release is a bit unusual given large xmas break - that doesn't help to keep viewers hanging
Shows like Walking Dead, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Carnivale & Spartacus hooked me after 1 episode.

Some shows take a lot longer to captivate me. The Wire and The Soprano both took 5 episodes to hook me. Hopefully The Expanse is another one.

Jessica Jones just kept on annoying me more and more every episode until I gave up after episode 6. :D

The Shannara Chronicles should hold me over until April when Game of Thrones comes out. :D

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
One of my favorite shows ever - Inspector Morse - did a really crappy job on first episode, but I'm very glad I stuck around for few more. Agreed on JJ.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Ohhh Boy!! :oops: I thought I had read the entire series but I've been mistaken.. I have to read through the last two subseries which didn't show up in the Epub book that usually lists the next book in the series as a whole. I will put the Shannara series on hold until I get the "Expanse" series completed.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
The Shannara Chronicles is starting with Elfstones of Shannara. Not sure why. But so far the book and the show are completely different.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes, I read the books like 20 years ago, but I don't remember it being like that.

And people thought Star Wars was bad :)

Jessica Jones is actually very good I am pas the 6 episodes

I am also starting book II on Game of Thrones, a good way to pass some time until April

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The Shannara Chronicles is starting with Elfstones of Shannara. Not sure why. But so far the book and the show are completely different.
I finally got to sit down and watch all 4 episodes... Acting for the most part sucks, save for maybe Alanon, the Elvin King, and Dagdamor (who doesn;t speak English :p ). The visual effects are very good, I must say and the soundtrack is good. The series also follows the book pretty well but there are parts in the movies that stray from the book (like the parts of how "the chosen" got chosen) that wasn't described in the books.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't appreciate these characters cracking jokes in the face of armageddon. Maybe it's MTV style of TV. :eek:

MTV doesn't want to be like HBO or Showtime. :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't appreciate these characters cracking jokes in the face of armageddon. Maybe it's MTV style of TV. :eek:

MTV doesn't want to be like HBO or Showtime. :D
To be fair, there was some joking between Olmsford and the Princess in the book. Another area where artistic lea way was given was the relationship between the "rover" girl (who does a good job portraying her) and her owner. It never went that deep in the book.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis