The Purge - Election year...Gets My Vote

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Just finished watching The Purge, Election Year and I came away very surprised. I enjoyed the first one, was so so about the second and had little hope of improvement in the third, which so often is the case. I expected it to suck, I was wrong and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. :eek:

The main Characters Frank Grillo (Leo Barnes), he also played Crossbones in Captain America. Elizabeth Mitchel (Senator Roan) also played in the TV Series Revolution. Both Characters were interesting, well played and given a decent backstory. Grillo's character was in the second movie, so you know his background.

This movie actually had a plot, a decent story, some suspense, and Mykelti Williamson (Joe Dixon) had the best one liners in the movie. You actually become vested in the characters. My first thought is how many times do we need to see the Purge before it gets beyond boring, apparently at least three times. Yes, the main villain is over exaggerated and overacted, but it's the satisfaction of seeing some truly evil sub characters getting ganked, that makes it funny.

This one is by far the best of the series, it won't win any awards for writing, acting, or special effects, but it does do a lot well and you wouldn't be wasting $10-$12 dollars seeing it at a theater.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Just finished watching The Purge, Election Year and I came away very surprised. I enjoyed the first one, was so so about the second and had little hope of improvement in the third, which so often is the case. I expected it to suck, I was wrong and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. :eek:

The main Characters Frank Grillo (Leo Barnes), he also played Crossbones in Captain America. Elizabeth Mitchel (Senator Roan) also played in the TV Series Revolution. Both Characters were interesting, well played and given a decent backstory. Grillo's character was in the second movie, so you know his background.

This movie actually had a plot, a decent story, some suspense, and Mykelti Williamson (Joe Dixon) had the best one liners in the movie. You actually become vested in the characters. My first thought is how many times do we need to see the Purge before it gets beyond boring, apparently at least three times. Yes, the main villain is over exaggerated and overacted, but it's the satisfaction of seeing some truly evil sub characters getting ganked, that makes it funny.

This one is by far the best of the series, it won't win any awards for writing, acting, or special effects, but it does do a lot well and you wouldn't be wasting $10-$12 dollars seeing it at a theater.
I plan to go see this one sometime this weekend. Already started a thread on this one, but it did not seem to be too popular. I liked the 1st one, but thought that the 2nd one was MUCH better. Glad that you liked this one an I will certainly check it out myself.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/the-purge-election-year.104161/#post-1142590

Might even go see the new Independence Day and/or The Shallows. Have not been to a movie in like forever. Or so it seems. Thanks Cos for the insights.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hope to go see this one tomorrow morning. The price is cheaper going real early.....LOL!!! Yeah, the cat is out of the bag I am an el cheapo....LOL!!!! :p:p:p:p

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Went and seen it today. Movie cost me only $5.75....LOL!!! But, a large drink was $5! Good thing that I did not want some popcorn. Movie was pretty good. But, I liked the 2nd one better. Looking forward to the next one!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
BTW, noticed that all of the surround speakers were JBL at my local movie theater. So, I assume all of the speakers are also JBL. Was impressed with the sound! Kudos to JBL!

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis