The problem with Hollywood "Halo goes Hollywood in '07"

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
Don't get me wrong I love movies and I love games. I can't get enough of Halo, well let me qualify that. I can't get enough on my Xbox, I can do without a full feature length movie. Hey, Maybe it will be a good shoot em up flick and surprise me like Pitch Black did but I can't help getting the feeling that the idea well has gone dry. The Flintstones, Dukes of Hazard, Scooby-Doo, etc, etc., My Netflix cue seems to grow empty as there is nothing I want to see. I guess I can always throw on Pale Rider again, there is nothing like a good piece of hickory.

Here is the Halo Story...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/23/news_6131735.html

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I like the fact that they tried to sell it for $10 Mil before anyone had even seen the script. Good one guys...(you morons). Just because the game is successful doesn't mean it will make a good movie. It was in the news months ago when most of the major studios turned them down at the initial buy in price, but I guess Fox/Universal worked something out with them. They know it will at least make some money, because all the game fans will probably go see it at least.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
They know it will at least make some money, because all the game fans will probably go see it at least.
I dunno, even the fanboys avoided Wing Commander in droves.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Tsunamii said:
Don't get me wrong I love movies and I love games. I can't get enough of Halo, well let me qualify that. I can't get enough on my Xbox, I can do without a full feature length movie. Hey, Maybe it will be a good shoot em up flick and surprise me like Pitch Black did but I can't help getting the feeling that the idea well has gone dry. The Flintstones, Dukes of Hazard, Scooby-Doo, etc, etc., My Netflix cue seems to grow empty as there is nothing I want to see. I guess I can always throw on Pale Rider again, there is nothing like a good piece of hickory.

Here is the Halo Story...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/23/news_6131735.html
Don't worry man Peter Jacksons King Kong is coming out. I have read lots of articles it is going to be awesome! Should make a splash with all the BS third rate movies that are coming out and trying to be "original" like Doom.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
I dunno, even the fanboys avoided Wing Commander in droves.
I'd have to agree with this. Just because you like playing Halo doesn't mean you will like to watch a movie by the same name. One has nothing to do with the other. I know plenty of guys who play the game but there is no way they will go see the movie. They know another lame attempt by Hollywood when they see one.

But I do think Hollywood has adopted this mentality. Look at all the comic book movies. They must just figure that whoever read these comics will go see the movies. Now with Transformers, Voltron, and Smurfs coming to the big screen, they are banking on all of us who grew up with these cartoons in the '80s to go and relive our youth for a couple of hours at the theater.

For me it is hard to get excited about any of this unoriginal, unimaginative decision making by Hollywood. What is worse is that it seems like any movie now that remotely shows some kind of profit gets itself a sequel. Here is a short list of sequels coming to the big screen:

Spiderman 3, X-men 3, Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3, Sin City 2, Saw 2, Jurassic Park 4, Mission Impossible 3, Indiana Jones 4, The Fast and the Furious 3, The Transporter 2, Hollowman 2, Kung Fu Hustle 2, Alien vs. Predator 2, Garfield 2, The Butterfly Effect 2, National Treasure 2, Elf 2, Jeepers Creepers 3, Mrs. Doubtfire 2, The Grudge 2, Police Academy 8, Shark Tale 2, Ice Age 2, Bringing Down the House 2, etc . . . I could literally go on forever, but I get annoyed just typing half this junk!!

And what's the next great trend you ask? Why it's first person shooters of course: Doom, Halo, Hitman - if any of these make money, look for every FPS game every created to have its own movie.

The only way to stop this trend of sequels and theme movies is to boycott the theaters!! If you dislike the path that Hollywood has taken as much as I do, I suggest you do just that.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Spiderman 3, X-men 3, Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3, Sin City 2, Saw 2, Jurassic Park 4, Mission Impossible 3, Indiana Jones 4, The Fast and the Furious 3, The Transporter 2, Hollowman 2, Kung Fu Hustle 2, Alien vs. Predator 2, Garfield 2, The Butterfly Effect 2, National Treasure 2, Elf 2, Jeepers Creepers 3, Mrs. Doubtfire 2, The Grudge 2, Police Academy 8, Shark Tale 2, Ice Age 2, Bringing Down the House 2,
I really hope you're joking about some of those....... :eek:

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
I don't really mind some of the comic based movie sequels since a number of them waited 40 years or more to get respectable treatment. Hulk and Punisher are still waiting unfortunately. Anyone know if Fantastic Four was any good?

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
hopjohn said:
I don't really mind some of the comic based movie sequels since a number of them waited 40 years or more to get respectable treatment. Hulk and Punisher are still waiting unfortunately. Anyone know if Fantastic Four was any good?
They didn't wait 40 years to get respectable treatment. Marvel declared bankruptcy and pretty much sold the rights to everything.

There also seems to be selective memory in that statement. Spiderman, The Hulk, Captain America, Dr. Strange have all had previous attempts at made-for-TV movies and they all sucked.

As far as Halo, I'd love to see the movie. I've read some of the books, too.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Shadow_Ferret said:
They didn't wait 40 years to get respectable treatment. Marvel declared bankruptcy and pretty much sold the rights to everything.
I never even mentioned ownership, and fail to see any relevance to what I said. No matter who had the rights my point was that there are few comic based movies that are respectable, i.e. any good, and many of these comics have been around since the 60's or longer, i.e 40 yrs. +. So of the few that were good, (X-men, Spiderman) I wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

Shadow_Ferret said:
There also seems to be selective memory in that statement. Spiderman, The Hulk, Captain America, Dr. Strange have all had previous attempts at made-for-TV movies and they all sucked.
Selective memory? I was talking about film not TV, and if they all sucked then that just reaffirms my point.

Anyway glad to know that Halo will see the big screen. I'm not that big of a fan, but I know there are plenty of people who are, so I'm sure it will be something they look forward to. Sorry for the interuption. Please continue.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Maybe I misunderstood your comments. I thought you were saying that they (Marvel) had WAITED 40 years before attempting to bring their product to the big screen to ensure it was given the proper treatment.

And my point was that Marvel characters have had some awful adaptations throughout the years.

Mea culpa.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Hopjohn, Fantastic 4 sucked. It sucked hard, it sucked often. Not anywhere near as bad as the Hulk, but not as good as the new Punisher. Most comic book remakes are train wrecks waiting to happen, sometimes they get it right, but, more often than not they make Tank Girl. I am excited to see what the Halo movie will be like. Lots of potential, and I'd be willing to bet that that means Halo 3 o4 will launch at the same time on Xbox.

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
The beauty of Netflix, just turn it off and return it. Though it still sucks.

"It sucked hard, it sucked often" (Takeereasy)... LMAO

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis