The perfect HTPC In a Box?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Has Acer produced the first cost effective and functional box for Home Theater PC in a box?

Acer released three flavors of the X1200 (see press release).

Features AMD Athlon X2 starting at the 4850e, 4GB of RAM (yes STANDARD), at least a 320GB HD, HDMI via the GeForce 8200, DVD-RW +/-, 7.1 audio. It does have mini-spdif.

Items of query:
Does the HDMI support 1.3(a)?
What is the noise floor?

It is not currently listed on the Acer web site as of yet. I had to call the sales line and the friendly support person actually went to the 2nd tier desk and found me the answer about the mini-spdif.

itschris

itschris

I don't see how they're bitstreaming the lossless blu-ray surround sound formats either, though it does seem like a nice system. It's clearly meant as a desktop solution as opposed to a true home theater component when you look at the case dimensions. I don't understand why companies siimply miss the idea that if you want to bring pc's into the a/v world, you can't make them look like pc's.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the value of bd playback on an HTPC anyway. What's the point. You certainly can't store any serious blu-ray disc catalog since they're so huge. At some point, it just doesn't make sense. But for music archives, PVR, and DVD's, it's the perfect choice.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I don't see how they're bitstreaming the lossless blu-ray surround sound formats either, though it does seem like a nice system. It's clearly meant as a desktop solution as opposed to a true home theater component when you look at the case dimensions. I don't understand why companies siimply miss the idea that if you want to bring pc's into the a/v world, you can't make them look like pc's.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the value of bd playback on an HTPC anyway. What's the point. You certainly can't store any serious blu-ray disc catalog since they're so huge. At some point, it just doesn't make sense. But for music archives, PVR, and DVD's, it's the perfect choice.
As far as BD play back: Until M$ integrates it with MCE it holds lessened value for me regardless of ability to rip the BD disk. With Seagates announcement of 1.5TB HD's, a 3.5 TB array isn't out of the question and that will store A LOT of HD material. I don't have a huge problem with the looks, especially given the generous configuration at the price point it is at. You could do MUCH worse.

itschris

itschris

As far as BD play back: Until M$ integrates it with MCE it holds lessened value for me regardless of ability to rip the BD disk. With Seagates announcement of 1.5TB HD's, a 3.5 TB array isn't out of the question and that will store A LOT of HD material. I don't have a huge problem with the looks, especially given the generous configuration at the price point it is at. You could do MUCH worse.
I absolutely agree with you. I've been on the fence for some time on the HTPC front. I've been waiting for the HDMI, MCE stuff to sort out, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized the biggest thing for me would be all my music at my fingertips and recording hd programming. For me though, it has to fit in with the looks of my system as well. I'm just a bit unforgiving that way. I'm waiting for a new crop of cases to come around. I had high hopes for the Omaura cases, but I have yet to here anything good about them and they seemed plagued with delivery issues.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
When it comes to HTPC you can have all the hardware you want, but if the software implementation is lacking you will be having a hard time with it. This is currently the HTPC's biggest problem. They have come a long way since the first iteration of WMC, but they still have quite a bit to go.

jinjuku

jinjuku

When it comes to HTPC you can have all the hardware you want, but if the software implementation is lacking you will be having a hard time with it. This is currently the HTPC's biggest problem. They have come a long way since the first iteration of WMC, but they still have quite a bit to go.
The only major short coming that I can see is lack of integration of HD codecs in Vista MCE. What else are you referring to?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
The only major short coming that I can see is lack of integration of HD codecs in Vista MCE. What else are you referring to?
DVR integration is still not perfect
Software installation can be a total pain even to people who are very tech savvy

Most of the problems are software related and their installation. If you are looking for something that just works I am sorry to say that HTPC is still not the way to go.

jinjuku

jinjuku

DVR integration is still not perfect
Software installation can be a total pain even to people who are very tech savvy

Most of the problems are software related and their installation. If you are looking for something that just works I am sorry to say that HTPC is still not the way to go.
Wow, I simply installed Vista Ultimate Edition and plugged in my USB tuner and supplied the driver CD. I was up and running in minutes flat. No issues with TV integration, no issues with receiver integration.

Scratching my head over what your problems could be stemming from.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Wow, I simply installed Vista Ultimate Edition and plugged in my USB tuner and supplied the driver CD. I was up and running in minutes flat. No issues with TV integration, no issues with receiver integration.

Scratching my head over what your problems could be stemming from.
Are you using HDMI?
Do you have a blu-ray drive?
You doing only optical for sound right?
Are you using it as a DVR?
If you are using it as DVR are you also doing HD channels?
Are you just using Media Center as you main GUI or do you use other apps?

The more you start adding to it the more you run into problems.

jinjuku

jinjuku

HDMI:YES
Blu-Ray:NO, HD-DVD: YES (for as long as it lasts:D)
Optical for Audio: YES (what is the only part?) The receiver has it's own DAC
DVR: YES
DVR HD: YES
The HTPC spends 90%+ time in MCE. As a matter of fact it starts MCE automatically.

ALSO:

FM Tuner
Netflix
via MyNetFlix plug-in. The only negative is M$'s lack of support for HD codecs in MCE. Honestly the upconversion that ATI does on standard DVD's is simply outstanding.

All my music is ripped to it. I have a ton of play lists. It can also support multiple tuners so you can watch/record.

You can even get products like HD Homerun and stream CATV and OTA over the network.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis