The Onkyo RZ series - any thoughts ?

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
I can now get an 810 for 699 online this AVR was 1500 bucks - anyone have experience with recent Onkyo stuff or this model specifically ?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If it were from a local store with a free 5YR replacement warranty, I might................

No, scratch that. I wouldn't even....... :D

With all the horrible stories and lack of Audyssey DEQ, I wouldn't buy it unless it's $200. :D

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Get a used tx818. Depends on your needs. Make sure to keep a fan on top with air circulating out. I recommend that anytime you buy any receiver.

Last edited:
T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
If it were from a local store with a free 5YR replacement warranty, I might................

No, scratch that. I wouldn't even....... :D

With all the horrible stories and lack of Audyssey DEQ, I wouldn't buy it unless it's $200. :D
That bad eh? Were you burned by them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That bad eh? Were you burned by them?

Just knew friends who had bad experiences. And all the complaints on the forum. With other brands available (like you could get some Denon/Marantz for 50% off at times), I don’t think it's worth taking the risk with Onkyo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
Yeah I read the article above and what gets me is the bloated power levels.
I had an onkyo years ago and it was really powerful and clear but the hdmi Input crumbled.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I read the article above and what gets me is the bloated power levels.
I had an onkyo years ago and it was really powerful and clear but the hdmi Input crumbled.

Just look for realistic power specs that are comparable to others; there's still relatively little difference between most avrs in that respect, only a few dB variance. If you need power for your speakers/spl preferences then get an avr with pre-outs and use external amps. My Onkyo I got in 2011 finally exhibited the network/hdmi board issues this year, and I must say the extended warranty repair was smooth as silk and hope to see many more years use from it.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
I have their TX -NR656, outstanding performance still going strong. Best part I picked it up new for $348.00.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis