The new EMP impression E5Ti speakers...possible 5.1 audio system

E

Eternal

Audioholic Intern
I am in the market for a 5.1 System, been doing research on different set ups, and stubled across the E5Ti Tower Speakers for $400 for a pair at the audioholics store. There has yet to be a full review on them, but the first impressions were good, as that I am in the market for a system it seemed good to consider them.

The system would be:
EMP Impression E5Ti Tower Speakers (Red Burl/pair) http://store.audioholics.com/product/2715/1/
EMP Impression E5Ci Center Channel Speaker (Red Burl/each) http://store.audioholics.com/product/2719/0/
EMP Impression E5Bi Bookshelf Speakers (Red Burl/pair) http://store.audioholics.com/product/2717/0/
EMP Impression ES10i Subwoofer (Red Burl) http://store.audioholics.com/product/2721/0/

The total would be $1150 + tax from the audioholic store.

I would get a Denon 1910 reciever for this 5.1 setup hopefully around the $400 range.

I was hoping to hear your guys' opinion of this setup. Is there a 5.1 setup I could do with better sound quality for about the same price? or is there one I could build for less that would sound about as good.

I like the look of the speakers, and so does my fiance (a key part). And I would be whiling to eat the restock fee if they sound completely terrible.

I would be in an 11' by 21' room atm but plan to move to a larger house with a larger entertainment room later.

Would you say the Denon 1910 is enough for this setup? and would it handle gpoing to 7.1 later? in the description is says: "Amplifier Output Details 90 Watt - 8 Ohm - THD 0.08 % - 7 channel(s) ( Surround ) , 125 Watt - 6 Ohm - THD 0.7 % - 7 channel(s) ( Surround )"

I am not sure if the sub would later the watts at 6 ohms...

Thank you,

Chris

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Good morning. There has been a bunch of interest in those lately, with some people noting what you did above - that the reviews so far are first impressions and listening tests.

I was hoping to hear your guys' opinion of this setup. Is there a 5.1 setup I could do with better sound quality for about the same price? or is there one I could build for less that would sound about as good.
That's going to be impossible for most, if not all, of us to answer. Without ever hearing them, or having more than just the first impressions of others to go by, we can't say what is better/worse at that price point. I think that the key points here are:

I like the look of the speakers, and so does my fiance (a key part). And I would be whiling to eat the restock fee if they sound completely terrible.
Trying them out for yourselves is likely the best option. If you're willing to handle the cost of returning them, that's the way to go.

One brand that I'll mention (but can't say if you'll like them better) is Aperion Audio. I've heard nothing but good things about them, and they have a 30-day no-risk trial period (you pay nothing, including return shipping). I have a friend who owns them that is quite happy with them. They have a couple of speaker packages that are in that price range, and the fit and finish on them is supposed to be very nice.

E

Eternal

Audioholic Intern
The 30 day, no risk from aperion audio is a very good plus. I will definately be looking into the more, thank you.

And that is true about that you guys wouldn't have a starting point to compare teh speakers with... How is EMP as a company? have you seen mixed reviews, or have they been pretty solid?

There are two options I have atm, buy the EMP impression speakers now with a denon receiver; OR wait for a great deal and do more research, then buy the home theater system some time around black friday when the prices seem o be at their lowest.

*edit* PS:
I have only seem a little bit about different Ohm ratings, and heard that the lower the speaker's Ohms the better, but you have to make sure the reciever can handle it...assuming the speakers are rated correctly at' Recommended Power 50-150 Watts w/ Impedance 6 Ohms. Would the Denon 1910 be able to power them to their full potential, or is there a better suited receiver?

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think the Denon should be able to handle 6 ohms. If the choice is between the EMPs and the Aperions, I would go with the EMPs. I think the introductory price is worth taking advantage of, and may be a better value overall. Of course, which is better sounding to your ears is the best deal in the end.

I would add that the EMP sub looks a little weak, at least for my tastes, but I am something of a bass-head. It looks nice, and if that is what is important to you, it may not be bad, but a 35 hertz extension? That is pretty weak for a sub intended for home theater. In that same price range I would rather get something from BIC Acoustech, who probably make the best subs in the $300 range, at least for home theater. Look at the PL-200, or the cinema series H100, or the BIC America VK-12. If you can spend more than that on subs though, you really should. I would be looking at something from Hsu, SVS, Outlaw Audio, or Elemental Designs.

E

Eternal

Audioholic Intern
My fiance loved the look so much I went ahead and bought them. Overall I have a good feeling about the speakers, I will let you guys know what I think when I get them...although I don't hahve many other speakers to compare them to.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats! If you would, please let us know what you think of them once they arrive and you have a chance to check them out. Thanks!

E

Eternal

Audioholic Intern
So the speakers get in around the 10th or 11th...the denon receiver gets in the 11th, an dthe speaker wire will arive someitme around the 15th; I hate waiting for the least significant part...but necessary none the less. I will have my opinions of them posted first by the build feeling (as in it is actual wood and sturdy etc)...then finally by the sound on the 15th or so lol.

*edit*
I would like to add so far I have been very satisfied witht he Audioholics store. They have quick responces, and I recievered tracking numbers the day after I placed the order (which was late last night).

Last edited:
E

Eternal

Audioholic Intern
They are as pretty as the pictures are. I only had enough speaker wire for the two towers and the sub (cross over hook up). They are a lot clearer than manny of the other speakers I have heard...but I have only been in fry's and best buy so that prolly isn't saying much. I can't wait until my 250' of speaker wire arives so I can finally geet the full 7.1 audio setup going.

As it is now, I am happy with my purchase.

P.S. If you significant other loves a deep red wood patern, you should consider getting these, they will fit in with her tastes while providing functional sound.

N

nsahoo

Audiophyte
I am in the same boat as you are. Order the EMP 5.0 from audioholics, if I am not happy with the sound I'll return after comparing to Aperion or Energy RC-10s.

*edit* PS:
I have only seem a little bit about different Ohm ratings, and heard that the lower the speaker's Ohms the better, but you have to make sure the reciever can handle it...assuming the speakers are rated correctly at' Recommended Power 50-150 Watts w/ Impedance 6 Ohms. Would the Denon 1910 be able to power them to their full potential, or is there a better suited receiver?
The denon 1910 is rated for the front L/R up to 90 @ 8ohm, but, up to 125W @ 6ohm.
See http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR-1910_Lit513.pdf
So, that's almost there.

btw, why is lower ohm better?

N

nsahoo

Audiophyte
I just found out from 6ave.com that the denon 1910 that I ordered might come after 3weeks. What are some good alternatives in the sub $400 price?

My first choice was a denon 1610 because I am not going up to 7.1 system any time soon. But, I was not sure of the wattage in them. They are rated 110 watt @ 6ohm. Which is probably adequate, but, will not be able to drive the EMP E5Ti's to their fullest.

Any other suggestions?

E

Eternal

Audioholic Intern
At times teh denon receiver frustrated me, but any problems I have had has always been cable related or I needed a specific port on the tv. I have yet to use the Audessy programming b/c the 250' speaker wire is still in teh mail, so I don't have the 5.1 set up atm. You may beable to get a cheaper receiver, but just know what you need. If you need the HDMI upscaling or the other features... the speakers sound wonderful on the denon.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis