speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Went and seen this one this morning. It was nothing special. But, better than I thought it would be. Russel Crowe is such a talented actor. There is obviously going to be a sequel. I do think this one would have served me better as more of a rental. However, the movie only cost me $5.50. No real complaints on my end. Here is the trailer:

http://showplacecinemas.com/movie/177735/The-Mummy

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Does Tommy run a lot in this movie..?

Yeah just a bit.....LOL!!!! Actually, it really was not that bad. Certainly in no hurry to see it again. This is good for a rental at least inmho. Have seen far worse. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Wow! I know this one is not setting the world on fire, but geez I figured a few of you seen it. But, hey I could always be wrong as it certainly would NOT be the first time.....LOL!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The best Mummy movie is the first Hammer movie made in 1959. It is pretty much the platonic ideal of Mummy movies. The Boris Karloff version is just OK, but it is a bit stagy and maudlin, even by the standards of its time. The Brendan Fraser version is OK, but it is more of an Indiana Jones movie than a horror movie, and a Mummy movie should be a horror movie above all. This new Ton Cruise movie looks more like a Mission Impossible movie than a horror movie. It looks terrible. I will stick with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, thank you very much.

As I recall, some of the other Universal Mummy movies weren't all that bad, at least until they brought Abbot and Costello in the mix. The other Hammer Mummy movies aren't bad either, but I haven't seen them all. There are other Mummy movies here and there, but they have all been pretty bad, except for the Mummy segment of Tales from the Darkside movie, which wasn't that bad, as I recall.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The best Mummy movie is the first Hammer movie made in 1959. It is pretty much the platonic ideal of Mummy movies. The Boris Karloff version is just OK, but it is a bit stagy and maudlin, even by the standards of its time. The Brendan Fraser version is OK, but it is more of an Indiana Jones movie than a horror movie, and a Mummy movie should be a horror movie above all. This new Ton Cruise movie looks more like a Mission Impossible movie than a horror movie. It looks terrible. I will stick with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, thank you very much.

As I recall, some of the other Universal Mummy movies weren't all that bad, at least until they brought Abbot and Costello in the mix. The other Hammer Mummy movies aren't bad either, but I haven't seen them all. There are other Mummy movies here and there, but they have all been pretty bad, except for the Mummy segment of Tales from the Darkside movie, which wasn't that bad, as I recall.
Yeah Shady you are correct there was some "Mission Impossible" in it. But, Russel Crowe did a good job inmho. He is such a talented actor. I knew going in not to expect too much. However, it was not as bad as I thought it would be. This would be a good one to rent on a night when the selection is rather limited.

Cheers,

Phil

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

Call me a whack job, but I really enjoyed the Brendan Frasier/ Rachel Weitz version of The Mummy. Perhaps it was just being at the right place and time to see it, but its probably my favorite of the mummy stuff. It helps that I like Rachel Weitz and the whole Indiana Jones touch. That's what's nice about opinions on films : you can't be wrong !

I don't know if I'll get to see the new Tommy Cruise version because my wife took a look at the trailers and said, and I quote "a mummy movie needs to be about a guy mummy". There you have it. The WAF factor for movies.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Call me a whack job, but I really enjoyed the Brendan Frasier/ Rachel Weitz version of The Mummy. Perhaps it was just being at the right place and time to see it, but its probably my favorite of the mummy stuff. It helps that I like Rachel Weitz and the whole Indiana Jones touch. That's what's nice about opinions on films : you can't be wrong !

I don't know if I'll get to see the new Tommy Cruise version because my wife took a look at the trailers and said, and I quote "a mummy movie needs to be about a guy mummy". There you have it. The WAF factor for movies.
I also liked the B. Frasier MUMMY. But, lost interest after the first one. Shady has a point in that the Tom Cruise version is a bit too Mission Impossible if you will. Also found it a bit odd having a female MUMMY. But hey, she is smoking hot! That was one of things I noticed right off. It is worth a rental inmho. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I saw a bit of this DOA mummy for free on 123 and after 25mins in or more less skipping though it I got bored with, tom mummy cruise, it was a load of bollocks.

The original Mummies of the late 50's and 60's scared me when watching on tv. I think that Dolby Stereo The Awakening (1980)is scary. The late 90's Mummy was like a comedy.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I saw a bit of this DOA mummy for free on 123 and after 25mins in or more less skipping though it I got bored with, tom mummy cruise, it was a load of bollocks.

The original Mummies of the late 50's and 60's scared me when watching on tv. I think that Dolby Stereo The Awakening (1980)is scary. The late 90's Mummy was like a comedy.
Yeah, it is not Tom Cruise's best effort no doubt. A bit too much Mission Impossible if you ask me. Plus, a female MUMMY? Oh well, it is what it is. I lost interest in the Brendan Frasier versions b/c it was merely a love story. At least Transformers is coming out soon. Hopefully, it will be much better!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I also liked the B. Frasier MUMMY. But, lost interest after the first one. Shady has a point in that the Tom Cruise version is a bit too Mission Impossible if you will. Also found it a bit odd having a female MUMMY. But hey, she is smoking hot! That was one of things I noticed right off. It is worth a rental inmho. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
What else does one need? A plot????? Plots are way overated when it comes to smokin hot Mummies :p

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
What else does one need? A plot????? Plots are way overated when it comes to smokin hot Mummies :p
The is one hot MUMMY for sure....LOL!!!!!! :D:eek::eek::D BTW, the other female costar is pretty dang on hot herself. Trying to remember her name. Will get back with you on it.....LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Yeah, it is not Tom Cruise's best effort no doubt. A bit too much Mission Impossible if you ask me. Plus, a female MUMMY? Oh well, it is what it is. I lost interest in the Brendan Frasier versions b/c it was merely a love story. At least Transformers is coming out soon. Hopefully, it will be much better!

Cheers,

Phil
That was one of many first thoughts on peoples minds on youtube trailers "mummy impossible". Just 2hrs of running around pretending to be scared with a cardboard 3d cgi mummy. The cruise mummy can stay mummified I won't be buying it.

I'd sooner get a hammer Mummy in immersive mono audio for storytelling than some cardboard Atmos overhead mummies flying around the room.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Andy, when I went and seen this one I had very low expectations. Now granted, as mentioned previously, this is not Tom Cruise's best effort. Kind of knew what I was getting into if you will. At least the female MUMMY was hot! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Andy, when I went and seen this one I had very low expectations. Now granted, as mentioned previously, this is not Tom Cruise's best effort. Kind of knew what I was getting into if you will. At least the female MUMMY was hot! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
I'm into this 80's awakening Mummy.

It even had Palpatine Mummy in it the force was strong with this Sith Mummy. that was until he had needle stuck in him. :D

Waiting for a cheap Awakening Laserdisc of the Mummy to turn up not interested in buying Tom Atmos Mummies running around on the ceiling.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I watched it last night on BLuRay which I preordered from Amazon before I left for vacation. It was really hokey in places and Tom Cruise did too much Mission Impossible stunts on it. Brendon Fraser would have been a much better fit. I did enjoy the effects and the comedic relief. All and all, not too bad. :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
All and all, not too bad. :)

This one would be a good rental imho. I agree in that we need more of the hot MUMMY and much less of Tom Cruise! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis