The Jordan Watts Modular Loudspeaker

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have over time been updating my Jordan Watts page on my website.

You will find the sales brochure, pictures, the Thiel/Small parameters and an interview I did with Leslie Watts.

In my view this driver is easily the best wide band driver that has so far appeared, and we are going back to 1961 with this one.

I have started to slowly go back to my work on the development of the Mk III, back forty years ago. I think with modern manufacturing techniques, this driver can be developed into the finest high powered mid range available. I think it is capable of a bandwidth of 200 Hz to 6 kHz, may be 80 Hz to 6 kHz. Even with that bandwidth, I think first order crossover would still be possible.

The module in its current form when uses as a mid range driver, does not need to be crossed over on the top end. All that is required is one cap to the tweeter and an L-pad. This gives only 45 degrees of phase shift.

So I am looking for a way to accomplish that.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I have over time been updating my

You will find the sales brochure, pictures, the Thiel/Small parameters and an interview I did with Leslie Watts.

In my view this driver is easily the best wide band driver that has so far appeared, and we are going back to 1961 with this one.

I have started to slowly go back to my work on the development of the Mk III, back forty years ago. I think with modern manufacturing techniques, this driver can be developed into the finest high powered mid range available. I think it is capable of a bandwidth of 200 Hz to 6 kHz, may be 80 Hz to 6 kHz. Even with that bandwidth, I think first order crossover would still be possible.

The module in its current form when uses as a mid range driver, does not need to be crossed over on the top end. All that is required is one cap to the tweeter and an L-pad. This gives only 45 degrees of phase shift.

I've heard you talk about these drivers before and certainly my interest is peaked for a future build someday.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Hi Mark,

What material is the cone made from? The brochure just says "metal alloy" although I'll admit to not reading the whole thing. I'm on a HP Mini and the screen isn't very large...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi Mark,

What material is the cone made from? The brochure just says "metal alloy" although I'll admit to not reading the whole thing. I'm on a HP Mini and the screen isn't very large...
The cone is made of spun aluminum, which in the early years was anodized, which caused many people to think the cones were brass which they were not.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
The cone is made of spun aluminum, which in the early years was anodized, which caused many people to think the cones were brass which they were not.
They look like the hub caps from an old Ford Econo-line van I owned briefly. Fascinating.

DJ

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

They look like the hub caps from an old Ford Econo-line van I owned briefly. Fascinating.

DJ
Not really. The cone is 4" in diameter. The total moving mass is only 6.4 GM, which is less then a quarter ounce. So the cone is basically foil.

Despite the light cone, the Fs is in the neighborhood of 40 Hz. In a TL very useful output is possible with these speakers down to around 40 Hz.

Most of the production of these speakers went to the Far East. They have maintained cult status in the Far East for half a century now.

Not surprisingly there is a Chinese knock off, or may be development.

Mark Audio based in southern China, have a line of drivers that are very close to my JW Mk III. The 6" cone is closest. These drivers have a standard suspension and the cones are not quite a tactrix. However they do not have the troublesome suspension resonance that colors the lower mid range of the JWs. Their sensitivity is lower, but power handling double, so spl turns out a wash.

I have not purchased one of these drivers, but they are available from Madisound.

If you look at the frequency response curves, they are very promising. Not surprisingly they are getting an increasing number of devotees in the full ranger community.

The issue is now timely, as there are radical changes afoot in the recording process, that will require a huge increase in the performance of loudspeakers.

This is a complex story, but phase and time coherent recordings with very wide dynamic range and low noise are now possible with multi miking. Digital algorithms are on the horizon to avoid microphone bleed.

The watch word of the cutting edge, is digital right after the microphone capsule, staying digital all the way right to the loudspeaker drivers.

Lots of drivers displaced in time with phase and time shifts will negate benefits from this technology.

I have harped away for years, that the development of high power wide band drivers is essential, especially right across the mid band.

So what is required is to have drivers like this under discussion, to handle 100 to 200 watts, with minimal thermal compression, low distortion, and a bandwidth of at least 200 Hz to 6 kHz.

I'm rattling some cages right now. The current crop of drivers are way short of what will be required in the very near future. Heck very few speakers have made the transition from analog to digital media. Very few speakers are actually fit for media that hit the market 30 years ago.

I think that is a big reason for the analog devotees. Analog does not expose speaker faults nearly as harshly as good digital media. Now the current crop of speakers are about to be found even more wanting.

I think history will judge Ted Jordan to have been one of the most important speaker engineers of the 20th century.

Really the giants are Kellog, Olson, Voight and Jordan, and everybody else way in the distance.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Not really. The cone is 4" in diameter. The total moving mass is only 6.4 GM, which is less then a quarter ounce. So the cone is basically foil.

Despite the light cone, the Fs is in the neighborhood of 40 Hz. In a TL very useful output is possible with these speakers down to around 40 Hz.

Most of the production of these speakers went to the Far East. They have maintained cult status in the Far East for half a century now.

Not surprisingly there is a Chinese knock off, or may be development.

Mark Audio based in southern China, have a line of drivers that are very close to my JW Mk III. The 6" cone is closest. These drivers have a standard suspension and the cones are not quite a tactrix. However they do not have the troublesome suspension resonance that colors the lower mid range of the JWs. Their sensitivity is lower, but power handling double, so spl turns out a wash.

I have not purchased one of these drivers, but they are available from Madisound.

If you look at the frequency response curves, they are very promising. Not surprisingly they are getting an increasing number of devotees in the full ranger community.

The issue is now timely, as there are radical changes afoot in the recording process, that will require a huge increase in the performance of loudspeakers.

This is a complex story, but phase and time coherent recordings with very wide dynamic range and low noise are now possible with multi miking. Digital algorithms are on the horizon to avoid microphone bleed.

The watch word of the cutting edge, is digital right after the microphone capsule, staying digital all the way right to the loudspeaker drivers.

Lots of drivers displaced in time with phase and time shifts will negate benefits from this technology.

I have harped away for years, that the development of high power wide band drivers is essential, especially right across the mid band.

So what is required is to have drivers like this under discussion, to handle 100 to 200 watts, with minimal thermal compression, low distortion, and a bandwidth of at least 200 Hz to 6 kHz.

I'm rattling some cages right now. The current crop of drivers are way short of what will be required in the very near future. Heck very few speakers have made the transition from analog to digital media. Very few speakers are actually fit for media that hit the market 30 years ago.

I think that is a big reason for the analog devotees. Analog does not expose speaker faults nearly as harshly as good digital media. Now the current crop of speakers are about to be found even more wanting.

I think history will judge Ted Jordan to have been one of the most important speaker engineers of the 20th century.

Really the giants are Kellog, Olson, Voight and Jordan, and everybody else way in the distance.
Oh, OK. Perspective goes a long way. They looked bigger in the pic than they actually are.

DJ

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

DJ
LOL! It looks like something that came out of a WW2 corvette ASDIC shack to me.:D

Nevertheless, I won't argue with TLSG about its capabilities. That's way above my pay grade.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I think a broadband driver is a fantastic concept, but will it really meet the approval of the next generation of speaker buyers? Certainly not the main stream people who want Bose like size. Can a proper coaxial give us similar quality with a smaller enclosure size?

I do wonder how this driver would do against an Infinity MRS in a proper design. I would really love to see the MRS put in an optimal design with a great tweeter and bottom. At some point I do want to get my hands on some MRS drivers. Unfortunately I'm not sure people are ready to leave the convention of traditional woofers yet. The Mark Audio does peak my interest though.

H

Haggis

Audiophyte
I have over time been updating my Jordan Watts page on my website.
Hi TLS I came across your page while looking for info on Jordan Watts. I am a close relation of the late Les Watts and still see his wife regularly. I have some old photos of him and his factory. I was very interested in the Interview you had on your page but the link does not work for me. Thank you for any help. Dave

D

DaveDerby

Audiophyte
I worked for Leslie Watts directly, building his speakers in the Jordan Watts factory in Benlow Works in Hayes, Middlesex. I made the cones, adjusted the speakers on the oscillator, magnetisd magnets, built and wired Flagon Speakers. Even boxed up speaker sets. I was only 15 at the time. It was about 1982. I can tell you that Leslie Watts was a despatch rider for Winston Churchil in his younger days, and he gave me his old 1940s motorcycle helmet!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis