The everything Beer thread

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Holy cow, I'd never heard of them before, but (before seeing this) I bought a six-pack of the Sculpin IPA at the store today! It wasn't the grapefruit version, though. I was intrigued because it was $14 (on sale) for a six-pack. I figured that I'd give it a try. I'll admit, I don't think it was worth that price, but it's not too bad. Dogfish Head 90 Minute is a bit more per bottle, but I like it quite a bit more. The Ballast Point was a little bitter for my tastes.
Adam, Let it warm a bit before drinking. This improves the overall taste and balance. I like my Sculpin between 45 and 50 degrees.
I find that we Americans have an expectation of ice cold beer and the typical craft brew just isn't that good at 35-40 degrees IMO.
Cheers, Mac

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Adam, Let it warm a bit before drinking. This improves the overall taste and balance. I like my Sculpin between 45 and 50 degrees.
Thanks for the tip! I tried drinking it warmer today, as well as pouring it into a glass (which I should have done last night anyway). Could be the warmer temperature, or the glass, or the lower expectations :)...but I found it more pleasant today.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
So.. What was your impression??
Decent for 99 cents at local store. :) Started with one Bud lite Rasberry. Did some spring cleaning yesterday and enjoyed it after with movie Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I made of mix with both beers together and actually tasted good. ;)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I forgot to mention that majorloser brought me a very, very nice selection of beer last week. I didn't take a picture:( but he may still have one. Everything he brought over was excellent!
A Lagunitas, a Victory, a Great Divide, Dogfish Head, Green Flash, Ballast Point, Six Point...:)

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I forgot to mention that majorloser brought me a very, very nice selection of beer last week. I didn't take a picture:( but he may still have one. Everything he brought over was excellent!
A Lagunitas, a Victory, a Great Divide, Dogfish Head, Green Flash, Ballast Point, Six Point...:)
All star line up there!
That Six Point Resin is 9.1 abv :0
Nice picks loser!!
Cheers, Mac

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Grapefruit Sculpin on tap at my fav Orlando taproom :)
Also had a De Dolle Dulle Teve Abbey Tripel (mad bitch).. Oh yah!
Cheers, Mac

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Got a bit of a buzz going. Been watching DVD's of AC/DC, Sara Bareilles, Marc Anthony and Sade in Concert on the big screen. Dancing and having fun which does not happen often. Stress levels have been high lately, Damn. 2 of these and the russian beer from last time. Getting ready to eat HUNGRY now. Later tonight I will watch Scarlett on SNL. :cool:

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
http://www.fox17.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/Craft-Brewer-Sues-Miller-Coors-Over-Blue-Moon-Labeling-126348.shtml
A California man is suing Miller-Coors for labeling Blue Moon as a craft beer.
Zach Rabun of Mockery Brewing says Blue Moon is made at the same brewery which makes the rest of the Miller-Coors lineup of beers. Rabun says that's not represented on the label and it is "concerning." The lawsuit asks for refunds for customers and for Blue Moon to more clearly advertise how it's produced and remove the premium price tag normally reserved for craft beers.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
http://www.fox17.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/Craft-Brewer-Sues-Miller-Coors-Over-Blue-Moon-Labeling-126348.shtml
A California man is suing Miller-Coors for labeling Blue Moon as a craft beer.
Zach Rabun of Mockery Brewing says Blue Moon is made at the same brewery which makes the rest of the Miller-Coors lineup of beers. Rabun says that's not represented on the label and it is "concerning." The lawsuit asks for refunds for customers and for Blue Moon to more clearly advertise how it's produced and remove the premium price tag normally reserved for craft beers.
Hmmmm.

Well first, I think there must be a legal definition of "craft beer". Must be a clear definition with parameters that must be met, and must be a legal definition.

I'm not sure if a legal definition exists?

And if it does, then Blue Moon may meet the definition of craft beer, but it certainly doesn't meet the definition of "micro brew".

This stuff can be ridiculous!

Up until a couple of years ago, the laws in TX required any beer above a certain ABV to be labeled as "Malt Liquor". So, by TX law, many products HAD to be mislabeled as Malt Liquor on the label to satisfy the (stupid) TX laws. This kept many a good beer out of the TX market for a long time.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Hmmmm.

Well first, I think there must be a legal definition of "craft beer". Must be a clear definition with parameters that must be met, and must be a legal definition.

I'm not sure if a legal definition exists?

And if it does, then Blue Moon may meet the definition of craft beer, but it certainly doesn't meet the definition of "micro brew".

This stuff can be ridiculous!

Up until a couple of years ago, the laws in TX required any beer above a certain ABV to be labeled as "Malt Liquor". So, by TX law, many products HAD to be mislabeled as Malt Liquor on the label to satisfy the (stupid) TX laws. This kept many a good beer out of the TX market for a long time.
The big brewers want people to get all caught up in the semantics. The situation is best explained by the movie, Beer Wars.
Here is a short explanation - http://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/beer-wars-review-why-we-drink-piss.php
It's not just about advertising and marketing. Beer Wars also takes us through the myriad of obstacles that stand in the way of smaller breweries and craft beers trying to enter the market. The 40,000 state and federal laws that regulate the beer industry, for instance. Or the fact that Bud/Miller/Coors owns a monopoly on grocery store shelves. Whenever they feel that their space is being encroached upon by a smaller brewery, they just create another beer or another size to take up more space. That's the reason, for instance, that Budweiser Selects exists -- it's not because it taste different than Bud (in fact, there's very little discernible taste between Bud, Miller, and Coors) -- it's because it allowed Budweiser to take up another six feet of shelf space. That's also why you can get Bud products in cases, 12 packs, six packs, cans, bottles, and even mini-cans: because it takes up more space. That's why you have to spend 10 minutes searching your grocery store shelves to find the better beers, if they exist at all. There's also the massive beer lobby, which is bigger than the gun and tobacco lobbies combined, which works diligently to assure that the status quo remains.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The big brewers want people to get all caught up in the semantics. The situation is best explained by the movie, Beer Wars.
Here is a short explanation - http://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/beer-wars-review-why-we-drink-piss.php
It's not just about advertising and marketing. Beer Wars also takes us through the myriad of obstacles that stand in the way of smaller breweries and craft beers trying to enter the market. The 40,000 state and federal laws that regulate the beer industry, for instance. Or the fact that Bud/Miller/Coors owns a monopoly on grocery store shelves. Whenever they feel that their space is being encroached upon by a smaller brewery, they just create another beer or another size to take up more space. That's the reason, for instance, that Budweiser Selects exists -- it's not because it taste different than Bud (in fact, there's very little discernible taste between Bud, Miller, and Coors) -- it's because it allowed Budweiser to take up another six feet of shelf space. That's also why you can get Bud products in cases, 12 packs, six packs, cans, bottles, and even mini-cans: because it takes up more space. That's why you have to spend 10 minutes searching your grocery store shelves to find the better beers, if they exist at all. There's also the massive beer lobby, which is bigger than the gun and tobacco lobbies combined, which works diligently to assure that the status quo remains.
+1 You nailed it!

I have not seen Beer Wars, but I know exactly what it's about. I will have to watch it one day.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Bought a couple of these at the SM today for $1.29 each WI. Steel Resrve 211 8.1 % ACL/Vol 24oz. Extra High Gravity(Whatever that means :p ). Hope it's good:

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
High (original)gravity = high potential alcohol, usually a good thing, unless it's a malt liquor which typically use lower quality grains and malt.
Cheers, Mac

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis