The everything Beer thread

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, 2-Hearted is good.......but Pliny is better!

I think I even prefer the Sculpin over 2-hearted.
I still thin that Dogfish Head 120 is the best IPA I've had. HEB had them down the street and I got a case. Wifey wondered how I spent over $200 on so few beers.

Normally you can MAYBE find that beer once a year and most stores only let people buy one per person. Needless to say I was excited. Easily one of the best beers I've ever had.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I still thin that Dogfish Head 120 is the best IPA I've had. HEB had them down the street and I got a case. Wifey wondered how I spent over $200 on so few beers.

Normally you can MAYBE find that beer once a year and most stores only let people buy one per person. Needless to say I was excited. Easily one of the best beers I've ever had.
I personally prefer the 60 minute vs. 120. When I visited the DFH Brewpub in DC, they had a 90 minute option that was a 50/50 of the 60/120 on tap.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I personally prefer the 60 minute vs. 120. When I visited the DFH Brewpub in DC, they had a 90 minute option that was a 50/50 of the 60/120 on tap.
Interesting considering there is actually a 90 min IPA. I wonder if the bottle is the same? 60 min is good, but there is just something about the 120 that is unique.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, 2-Hearted is good.......but Pliny is better!

I think I even prefer the Sculpin over 2-hearted.
I've yet to be able to try a Bell's, always have heard good things about them. Sculpin's a good one, rarely see them though.

Love some of the Dogfish offerings, a bit pricey if/when I find it, though. I think I like the 90 minute more than the 120, tho.

Last few trips to our local brewpub, they've had a guest tap running with Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA which I like a lot, but they just ran out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting considering there is actually a 90 min IPA. I wonder if the bottle is the same? 60 min is good, but there is just something about the 120 that is unique.
It's (the 120) also difficult to make, remember watching a documentary where they had to pour out a batch....painful to watch.

annunaki

annunaki

120 min IPA is quite good. Pliny is excellent. Not sure I am trusting that list at all. While Founder's Breakfast Stout is good it is not the 3rd best beer in the US by a long shot. Their KBS is better :confused:

I have had some pretty good IPAs as of late. Toppling Goliath's King Sue is probably one of, if not the best IPA I have ever had. The Double Dry Hopped Psuedo Sue is quite good too but that is an APA and not at the same level as King Sue. Their Sosus is right up there with it.

I would easily put those above the Dogfish Head.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
120 min IPA is quite good. Pliny is excellent. Not sure I am trusting that list at all. While Founder's Breakfast Stout is good it is not the 3rd best beer in the US by a long shot. Their KBS is better :confused:

I have had some pretty good IPAs as of late. Toppling Goliath's King Sue is probably one of, if not the best IPA I have ever had. The Double Dry Hopped Psuedo Sue is quite good too but that is an APA and not at the same level as King Sue. Their Sosus is right up there with it.

I would easily put those above the Dogfish Head.
I'll have to find some of those. IPAs are easy to find, but most seem like "hey, craploads of hops means a good IPA right?"

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You know, I've been thinking about this more, and I think I originally made a mistake. I think that they actually had the "75 Minute IPA" which was actually 50/50 of the 60/90 on tap.

Honestly, as good as the DFH beers are.......the FOOD at this brew pub in DC was even better!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hmm, yeah, I think that is different, I don't remember any maple syrup. Then again, I was out there for a week as a groomsman for a wedding, so this was basically right in the middle of my last bender ;)

But, yeah, DFH uses their smaller brewpubs to test out some recipes before taking them large scale.
Seems to me I'd had the 75 minute IPA in a bottle once at a friend's house back a coupla years (have a coupla friends who travel to collect beer). Saw the 60 and 90 in a store in SF regularly and sometimes the 120 when I was shopping. Didn't realize how special the 75 was.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Seems to me I'd had the 75 minute IPA in a bottle once at a friend's house back a coupla years (have a coupla friends who travel to collect beer). Saw the 60 and 90 in a store in SF regularly and sometimes the 120 when I was shopping. Didn't realize how special the 75 was.
I've been to GABF a few times out in Denver. Every year, I have seen Sam Calagione himself at the pour-line for DFH. He will always pour beers, talk beer, take pics with fans, etc.

It's always nice to see someone so passionate about their work.

The only thing, the DFH line is already long, and that doesn't help it out any.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've had DFH and really like it. I've looked into their company and read/watched how they started and grew. Keeping true to the original formula and brewing techniques was top priority when they expanded. They still don't mass produce like a lot of other brands on the market.

annunaki

annunaki

Another really good IPA I had recently that is limited to the Midwest from what I know is Barley John's Cone Gnome The Barbarian. All mosaic hops in a Double IPA.

Also, Surly Brewing's Todd the Axeman is quite good also.

As for Stouts lately, 3 Sheeps Brewing here in WI just released a new one called The Wolf. It is an Imperial Stout aged in Bourbon Barrels. Really good but packs a punch - 13.5% ABV. I am not sure how far away they distribute to but very good if you have access.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis