The Dolby Atmos Home Theater Paradox

How Many Speakers are You running in your Home Theater?

• 5.1 or up to 5.4

Votes: 108 46.8%
  • 6.1 or up to 6.4

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 7.1 or up to 7.4

Votes: 70 30.3%
  • 9.1 or up to 9.4

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • 11.1 or up to 11.4

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • Two-Channel is where it's at!

Votes: 12 5.2%

• Total voters
W

wiyosaya

Audioholic
Doctor Who - The Sun Makers - Duo-dodecaphonic sound!! o_O :D

I can't say I am planning on going to any more speakers than I already have - 5 plus a powered sub. It would not be practical in my home theater room. I will, however, consider upgrading my receiver for DTS:X.

As to the speakers that Dolby introduced, I've worked for a few manufacturing companies in the past that have had the "not invented here" syndrome, so I would not be surprised if there were speaker manufacturers in that camp. In addition, investing in those speakers might represent a significant investment in a technology that many manufacturers might not be willing to gamble on unless it's promise plays out in the real world. Personally, I am willing to bet that more people will adopt DTS:X over Atmos.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I've gotta say this paragraph

We of course skeptical about this whole bouncy sound scheme had reservations and questions, none of which were being answered by Dolby or asked by the rest of the press. Instead, we were crucified by the most faithful Atmos supporters such as those from AVS Forum. "Audioholics is anti-Atmos"..."Audioholics is against new technologies","Audioholics has an agenda". "Audioholics....(you fill in the blank)". Suffice it to say, it wasn't pretty. Some of the folks at AVS really hated our YouTube videos about Atmos calling them "misinformed", "unprofessional", some people even called us insults such as "the muscle guy looks like Lou Ferrigno" or "Hans and Franz". Honestly, I had to laugh at these insults especially when looking at the self portraits of our critics many of whom could greatly benefit from some gym time themselves.
is unnecessary and isn't going to strengthen your position against those calling AH "unprofessional" IMO.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I've gotta say this paragraph

is unnecessary and isn't going to strengthen your position against those calling AH "unprofessional" IMO.
I hear you but I don't mind being a little rough around the edges sometimes :)

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
:) bravo Gene

Yeah point noted on about Dolby labs knows this. Some installs in cinemas ether have matched same fitted to ceiling so tamper will be a bit close to common already in use on side/rear walls with few more in tighter side corners and close to front of screen as well.

Other cinemas have different type fitted to the ceiling and as long as you get them EQ a little bit to sound as close to rest. Wow can you imagine the long hours EQ that, I like manual EQ over Auto-EQ.

Strongly recommended anyone doing their atmos for home to use same loudspeaker/surrounds screwed into the ceiling joists or plasterboard wall plugs for secure fitting.

I seen some on avs and facebook that had used JBL 8830A or 8340A on side/rear wall and ceiling. (well done gone with JBL) ;)

The enable is like the cheap route to what THX dipolar was in the 1990s for "home THX". Dolby labs must have thought that most us are incapable of fitting loudspeakers to our own ceilings. Well it has to be done safely. We don't want to hear about some poor bugger that ended up watching Transformers, when a big explosion went off, his atmos speaker fell from the ceiling and now surgeons are trying to remove it from his head. :p

"Don't waste you're money", or Dire Straits "money for enable nothing" Can't believe those who have been so naive to believing this bouncy ceiling sound thing.

I wonder if anyone has still only played a atmos at home with LCR side/rear surrounds disconnected and just listen to the overheads on their own and watching the picture and looking for sound overhead continuity errors I'm sure it would have some.

DrJohnRead

DrJohnRead

Enthusiast
For me and all those who rent apartments in Manhatten...and everywhere else, in-ceiling speakers are NOT the answer, flat box ON-ceiling with decent brackets are.

But where are they in the marketplace mate? No one but no one of quality is making them?? Why not?!

Come on dudes!

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
For me and all those who rent apartments in Manhatten...and everywhere else, in-ceiling speakers are NOT the answer, flat box ON-ceiling with decent brackets are.

But where are they in the marketplace mate? No one but no one of quality is making them?? Why not?!

Come on dudes!
Well mounted to ceiling is faster option. UCI tower park was Overhead Heading its Height Immersive Surrounds with clusters of Eletro-Voice at the 10 plex 26 years ago, and that was so uncommon to see 10 screens with overhead surround. When I see all this hype today, I'm not excited by it. I've had overhead surrounds up and down at a few digs over the years.

1995 when living nearby less than 4 mins cycle ride in the warm air of summertime to watch APOLLO 13 last show of each night as I see the daytime ones many times, 14 times I saw it over 2 . so many moths in the same MGM (or ABC) number 1 screen.

x6 surrounds visuble on back wall and x4 fitted above the ceiling tiles with holes cut in so the sound can pass though and impassive blend in with x6 on the back wall.

I noticed these since late 80's. Even thou Guamoun/odeon screen 1 and 2 had overhead fitted in the ceiling maybe since 1977 STAR WARS that played Feb '78. The overhead in screen 1 circular ceiling Cinerama might have been there for years before as they had colour match to ceiling and was hard to spot unless you, know what you're looking for? I only noticed late 80's. But they been there for STAR WARS.
Guamount/odeon screen 2 downstairs had side/rear wall and clusters in the ceiling and I noticed them years before but never gave much thought to it. My ears pricked up with JEDI pre THX listening 1986 PLATOON, screen 2 DOLBY STEREO and I been listening since...

As for Apollo 13, the THX laserdisc was out at time so one night cinema viewing then in 8mins or so I'd have the THX laserdisc playing and I had ceiling of about maybe 10 feet high? It had a (drop down ceiling tiles) So I moved a few aside and fitted up some speakers within and firing downwards. Wow neat it sound, yes with "fuel pumps" played that over and over and over it was like being in the MGM 1.

Other digs I tried overhead for a few days but didn't have enough speakers even thou I had matched PA speakers 1 way full range, removed from a closed down shopping centre. Must had have x8 or so more? I fitted them all around in horseshoe configuration but didn't have enough for the ceiling and tried two on the ceiling for few days.

Then tried again with other speakers I had around 2000's? Some cheap bipolar Eltax 2way or 4way :D I tired some string or thin wire to the ceiling with screws holding them up or suspended. I didn't fancy drilling holes into back speaker at the time. I only tried them for short few days.

I tried again with speakers JBL control 1 and this time I was starting to get more of them as they where so cheap £49.98 for a pair. :)

I fitted overhead surround "matrix" around 2005. So I have had tried overhead since 1995 but largely thanks to be a projectionist at UCI as that might have inspired me. So when I read about Aruo3d, and looked at the diagrams I saw nothing that looked like XYZ proper 3d sound to convince me otherwise. Nice try but its far form 3d sound. Then Dolby labs copycat Auro3d with overhead and their own "pan-though surround" or billiards :p We call it Snooker over here. Yeah don't want that Atmos speaker Snookered behind that ball that won't be good.

Now dtsx copycat overhead only they are throwing in a few things that might seduce us to dtsx side?

Basically this XYZ is what?
1D) side to side
2D) forwards and backwards
3D) common side wall surrounds to UCI overhead surrounds then back down to common side/rear wall and that is as far as it can go.

Its more like 3D is 21/2D as it only goes side/rear wall to overhead then back down. It can't do below at floor at actual floor level. Underneath the cinema seats is the fastest easiest open option and I'm surprised that, thee sound format companies, are blind to this.

That is why I won't buy ether one if these its not true XYZ. Think I was born yesterday. Not spending hundreds for micro chip new sound immersive, when it may just well be updated modified in years to come with I hope below surround and mixes paying fuller attention to how them mix sound. The hollywood system sound format will look for new and more ways to try and milk us though this, 3d (2 1/2d sound). :rolleyes:

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Seems like I'd still win my bet blu-atmos won't make 50blu tiles by July 2015. Newest if anyone likes enable bouncy sound reflections or actual ones fitted to the ceiling?

The Gunman (2014) Sean Penn, anti gun activist.

Its due around 30th June 2015 atmos won't make 50 tiles by July. 23 titles is that it. It maybe in the lead or maybe now Dolby labs are panicking and want to get studios behind them to releasing with dtsx soon due and would be hot on the heels of atmos??

This is gonna be an interesting hurdle now that they'll be three overhead companies competing stay ahead of the other and dominate the bluray market.

elwaylite

elwaylite

Audioholic
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right thread. I recently just did a big upgrade, that isn't quite complete, with new mains, new center coming, new preamp and amp.

I've read a few comments that Atmos is recommended as the track to choose, if you you do not have an Atmos setup (say you only have 5.1). How is your experience with this. Up until last week I had no way to listen to the Atmos track, but now I do, but my setup is far from a high speaker count.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right thread. I recently just did a big upgrade, that isn't quite complete, with new mains, new center coming, new preamp and amp.

I've read a few comments that Atmos is recommended as the track to choose, if you you do not have an Atmos setup (say you only have 5.1). How is your experience with this. Up until last week I had no way to listen to the Atmos track, but now I do, but my setup is far from a high speaker count.
Have you read the user manual for you're make/model of the atmos page to page section to digest how you're AVR is suppose to faction with atmos?

elwaylite

elwaylite

Audioholic
The question is not how my particular preamp is supposed to work, its have you tried Atmos tracks with a normal 5.1 setup and what do you think?

M

MarkMul

Audiophyte
I've just upgraded my older Denon amp to a new Pioneer VSX-90. I'm running 5.2.2, i was running 5.1.2 before with the 2 height speakers. I really liked the 2 heights and PLIIZ. The Atmos is very cool, I'm not anyone to debate the whole Atmos thing, as I liked my height speakers before, the Atmos just makes it that much better and the Dolby Surround mode works well. Where it got weird for me was the Atmos enabled speakers. I use Tannoy Arenas and set my 2 height speakers up to mimic the angle of a dolby enabled speaker. Bouncing off my ceiling they sounded great, running the atmos demos and the atmos copy of John Wick i was rocking. To make myself feel better i ordered a set of Onkyo dolby enabled speakers. Put them where my Tannoys were and ran the same tests. The height effect was just about the same but the Tannoys are such better speakers, overall sound was much better with the Tannoy do it yourself Dolby enabled speakers. I returned the Onkyos and all is well. Eventually I will figure out a better wedge to angle the speakers up. For now, the roll of duck tape, card board and zip drives will work. My Panasonic 4K works well in this scenario and if I feel like it I pull down the screen in front of the flat screen and fire up my projector.IMG_5032.JPGIMG_5033.JPGIMG_5046.JPGIMG_5047.JPG

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I've just upgraded my older Denon amp to a new Pioneer VSX-90. I'm running 5.2.2, i was running 5.1.2 before with the 2 height speakers. I really liked the 2 heights and PLIIZ. The Atmos is very cool, I'm not anyone to debate the whole Atmos thing, as I liked my height speakers before, the Atmos just makes it that much better and the Dolby Surround mode works well. Where it got weird for me was the Atmos enabled speakers. I use Tannoy Arenas and set my 2 height speakers up to mimic the angle of a dolby enabled speaker. Bouncing off my ceiling they sounded great, running the atmos demos and the atmos copy of John Wick i was rocking. To make myself feel better i ordered a set of Onkyo dolby enabled speakers. Put them where my Tannoys were and ran the same tests. The height effect was just about the same but the Tannoys are such better speakers, overall sound was much better with the Tannoy do it yourself Dolby enabled speakers. I returned the Onkyos and all is well. Eventually I will figure out a better wedge to angle the speakers up. For now, the roll of duck tape, card board and zip drives will work. My Panasonic 4K works well in this scenario and if I feel like it I pull down the screen in front of the flat screen and fire up my projector.View attachment 15849View attachment 15850View attachment 15851View attachment 15852
Nice setup. I think the duct tape et al work perfectly :D

It'll be tough to get an actual wedge that will angle the speakers up that high. You could always get something like this

http://smile.amazon.com/Smoothfoam-Crafts-Modeling-5-Inch-White/dp/B00A2GIWNY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1431120682&sr=8-7&keywords=foam+block

and then cut it to size and spray paint it flat black or whatever color you choose.

M

MarkMul

Audiophyte
That may be a good thing to try. I bet Hobby Lobby has a gazillion sizes and colors. Until then I'm sticking with my duck tape.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
aquaduck
I've just upgraded my older Denon amp to a new Pioneer VSX-90. I'm running 5.2.2, i was running 5.1.2 before with the 2 height speakers. I really liked the 2 heights and PLIIZ. The Atmos is very cool, I'm not anyone to debate the whole Atmos thing, as I liked my height speakers before, the Atmos just makes it that much better and the Dolby Surround mode works well. Where it got weird for me was the Atmos enabled speakers. I use Tannoy Arenas and set my 2 height speakers up to mimic the angle of a dolby enabled speaker. Bouncing off my ceiling they sounded great, running the atmos demos and the atmos copy of John Wick i was rocking. To make myself feel better i ordered a set of Onkyo dolby enabled speakers. Put them where my Tannoys were and ran the same tests. The height effect was just about the same but the Tannoys are such better speakers, overall sound was much better with the Tannoy do it yourself Dolby enabled speakers. I returned the Onkyos and all is well. Eventually I will figure out a better wedge to angle the speakers up. For now, the roll of duck tape, card board and zip drives will work. My Panasonic 4K works well in this scenario and if I feel like it I pull down the screen in front of the flat screen and fire up my projector.View attachment 15849View attachment 15850View attachment 15851View attachment 15852
Neat idea with ducktape to use the centre of it as counterbalance the speaker at tilted angle.

Oh, by the way. If the speaker should slip or move get some blu-tack, and stick a little on the back of speaker that way it won't move.

I also noticed with my JBL control 1, the thread bolt screw that fits on the back for wall or other mounting and in this case was ideal for "atmouse" that way I get around the copyright. :D Perfect elevation angle.

M

MarkMul

Audiophyte
Thats perfect.........JBL needs to send Dolby a little check.

A

audiovideobob

Audiophyte
Hi
Think of a hot tub/spa that seats four people for a moment. Turn on two jets at one end. That's stereo. Look at what happens to the water. Now turn on the rest of them. That's surround sound. Now look at the water. Enough said!

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
Hi
Think of a hot tub/spa that seats four people for a moment. Turn on two jets at one end. That's stereo. Look at what happens to the water. Now turn on the rest of them. That's surround sound. Now look at the water. Enough said!
But the question that needs answering, are the LCRs and particular, the L/R set up properly?
I see way too many systems where they are not.
Take a look on Audioholics online youtube..."placing speakers properly for HT"...notice where they have the L/R..well out from the walls and creating an arc with the center position.
That is how it should be done...the result is a huge soundstage, w/o the need of H/W channels. Or much need of anything else.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
But the question that needs answering, are the LCRs and particular, the L/R set up properly?
I see way too many systems where they are not.
Take a look on Audioholics online youtube..."placing speakers properly for HT"...notice where they have the L/R..well out from the walls and creating an arc with the center position.
That is how it should be done...the result is a huge soundstage, w/o the need of H/W channels. Or much need of anything else.
Yes but the industry needs to sell new and more!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis