The Dolby Atmos Home Theater Paradox

How Many Speakers are You running in your Home Theater?

• 5.1 or up to 5.4

Votes: 108 46.8%
  • 6.1 or up to 6.4

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 7.1 or up to 7.4

Votes: 70 30.3%
  • 9.1 or up to 9.4

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • 11.1 or up to 11.4

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • Two-Channel is where it's at!

Votes: 12 5.2%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I think Gene will have to sell his $50K 8Ts to get some Dolby Atmos specifically engineered speakers. Otherwise, they just won't sound their best. :eek: :D
No thanks. I can't wait to see the new Atmos friendly towers some companies will be putting out where they fire drivers at the top of the cabinet. What a joke! But it probably will happen.

Update: Oh my, I just saw the Pioneer Atmos speakers :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can't wait to see the new Atmos friendly towers some companies will be putting out where they fire drivers at the top of the cabinet. What a joke!
Oh, hey, my Linkwitz Orion has a rear facing tweeter. Does that count? :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Do you still have those,? I didn't see them in the picture? :p

- Rich
Really, Rich? :eek: :D

I'm selling the Orion too.

4 left to sell: Salon2, KEF 201/2, Orion, & Funk 18.0.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I am an early adopter, what can I say. If I wasn't having my whole room torn down to the studs I would never consider Dolby Atmos, but considering I have a larger room I may have some ceiling mount speakers that are flush. Like....wait for it...the Golden Ear Invisa MPX, but they were not designed specifically for Dolby Atmos, but I think it will be ok :) No I jut have to wait another 2 years before it is actually supported !!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am an early adopter, what can I say. If I wasn't having my whole room torn down to the studs I would never consider Dolby Atmos, but considering I have a larger room I may have some ceiling mount speakers that are flush. Like....wait for it...the Golden Ear Invisa MPX, but they were not designed specifically for Dolby Atmos, but I think it will be ok :) No I jut have to wait another 2 years before it is actually supported !!
I'm sure all AVRs will be equipped with Dolby Atmos and DTS MDA sooner or later. Nothing wrong with that. We're still having fun at their expense, though. :D

F

FlyhiG

Audiophyte
Build it and they will come.

There is always the guy who wants the latest thing out. With the advent of more wireless speakers. And homes or basements under new construction the task for that person is not so fretful. Descent affordable sound quality will win out over high end sound for most.

For me, I have downsized from 5.1 to stereo. Using my high end integrated amp and very good stereo speakers carries the day. But as it has been said, build it and they will come/buy.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I know this thread is old and its been kicked to teh curb many times already. However, I thought I would read it since Yamaha is introducing Dolby Atmos in their Advantege line of receivers. Unless one has a huge dedicated HT room, I really see no use for the additional speakers from a room-fit perspective. I went from 5.1 to 6.1 and barely noticed a difference in my listening space. How many channels will be dedicated to the ceiling speakers? How will the information be encoded to go to the ceiling speakers? Will a new physical disk format be developed to replace Blu Ray with the capacity required to carry the additional channels required to support this new format?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know this thread is old and its been kicked to teh curb many times already. However, I thought I would read it since Yamaha is introducing Dolby Atmos in their Advantege line of receivers. Unless one has a huge dedicated HT room, I really see no use for the additional speakers from a room-fit perspective. I went from 5.1 to 6.1 and barely noticed a difference in my listening space. How many channels will be dedicated to the ceiling speakers? How will the information be encoded to go to the ceiling speakers? Will a new physical disk format be developed to replace Blu Ray with the capacity required to carry the additional channels required to support this new format?
It's basically a new toys for boys. :D

Okay, so now the surround sound may be more accurately localized or placed. To me, they are just surround sound no matter how accurate the placement is.

How often in life I do care about sound that comes from behind me anyway? As if I really want to feel like looking over my head and shoulders constantly? :D

To me, surround sound is cool, but they are becoming a bit hyperbolized. :D

The salient channels will ALWAYS be the front 3 channels, not the surround channels no matter how precise and cool they are.

But Yamaha is doing this to keep everyone else happy, so that is good for Yamaha.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
From what I am reading on AVS:

There is no advantage to Atmos unless you add the third digit: 5.1.2 or 7.1.4.
The new digit represents ceiling speakers mounted or wall mounted speakers bouncing off the ceiling.

The current products do not include angle or height information that would be required to adjust the surround mix to suite your speaker position.

It is possible that the additional DSP power will have other benefits.

Only Onkyo will have HDCP 2.2 which looks to be a requirement for 4K BD but perhaps not for 4K Netflix and other streaming services.

- Rich

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
From what I am reading on AVS:

There is no advantage to Atmos unless you add the third digit: 5.1.2 or 7.1.4.
The new digit represents ceiling speakers mounted or wall mounted speakers bouncing off the ceiling.

The current products do not include angle or height information that would be required to adjust the surround mix to suite your speaker position.

It is possible that the additional DSP power will have other benefits.

Only Onkyo will have HDCP 2.2 which looks to be a requirement for 4K BD but perhaps not for 4K Netflix and other streaming services.

- Rich
And, of course, we are talking about potential "advantages" in the secondary surround channels, not in the primary front 3 channels.

So all this money and hype for some advantages in the much less important surround channels? :D

Will ATMOS increase dialogue clarity or enhance the salient front channels at all?

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
And, of course, we are talking about potential "advantages" in the secondary surround channels, not in the primary front 3 channels.

So all this money and hype for some advantages in the much less important surround channels? :D

Will ATMOS increase dialogue clarity or enhance the salient front channels at all?
By your rational about the surrounds, why would you drop the coin on the ones your getting???? If they are not that important just do a 3.x :confused:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
By your rational about the surrounds, why would you drop the coin on the ones your getting???? If they are not that important just do a 3.x :confused:
What rationale? :eek:

I have no rationale. :D

I just wanted 5 big, formidable, cool towers.

Well, okay, actually the rationale for 5 big RBH towers is to get 5 subwoofers spread around the room.

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

What rationale? :eek:

I have no rationale. :D

I just wanted 5 big, formidable, cool towers.

Well, okay, actually the rationale for 5 big RBH towers is to get 5 subwoofers spread around the room.
How do you like them?

- Rich

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How do you like them?

- Rich
I will probably love them more than the old classic T2 non-reference speakers that I loved when I heard them a few years ago. :D

BTW, only 3 more items to sell - 1 pair of KEF 201/2, 1 pair Orion 3.2.1, and 1 passive Funk 18.0. All other items (10) have been sold.

As difficult as it is to sell the Orion, I may just keep them along with the RBH Reference system. Who knows.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

Will is increase dialogue clarity.. I thought it did when I saw the new Captain America Winter Soldier movie which is in ATMOS at our local theater that is upgraded to ATMOS capabilities. I say yes it does. We saw the same movie earlier with my step son at a different theater that did not have ATMOS and there was a lot lacking in the overall experience. But we are talking a movie theater layout vs someones home. I just don't see it for a persons home unless they have a dedicated room with all the bells and whistles like acoustic upgrades, seating and a room who's dimensions supported very good HT.

Anyway some good reading here Dolby Atmos Cinema Sound in the white papers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have not studied the home version of Dolby Atmos. However in the pro version, the beauty of the system is that you do not record 64 tracks. You record the sound with the three 3D coordinate points of where the sound is located. So from the coordinates the processor calculates power from the required speakers to locate the sound in space.

I suspect the home version is similar, but from what I read in AES, the layout of the speaker grid has to be precise. I suspect this system will only work properly in a dedicated carefully constructed room, not any old living room.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have not studied the home version of Dolby Atmos. However in the pro version, the beauty of the system is that you do not record 64 tracks. You record the sound with the three 3D coordinate points of where the sound is located. So from the coordinates the processor calculates power from the required speakers to locate the sound in space.

I suspect the home version is similar, but from what I read in AES, the layout of the speaker grid has to be precise. I suspect this system will only work properly in a dedicated carefully constructed room, not any old living room.
It may work for my environment but I don't have disposable cash to add additional speakers and a new receiver with these capabilities. I'm quite content with my 6.1 layout :)

ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera

Junior Audioholic
I like it. It makes sense that this is the next step. We just have to hope the next hardware wave comes with an equal amount processors and receivers. The main complaint I keep coming across is hardware cutting more and more corners to add channels and that means thinner amplifier specs. So a switch to mainstream separates would do wonders. A rackmount-ish system using something small and relatively cheap in the 50wpc range for the extra atmos channels would clear up the load on modern setup. Perhaps start by having entry level receivers that JUST power 3 channels. Front left, right and center. Make everything above 3.1 require addon amplifier modules in a small separate enclosure. That way you could constantly upgrade "another module, two more speakers" when you have the cash to do so.

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

I like it. It makes sense that this is the next step. We just have to hope the next hardware wave comes with an equal amount processors and receivers. The main complaint I keep coming across is hardware cutting more and more corners to add channels and that means thinner amplifier specs. So a switch to mainstream separates would do wonders. A rackmount-ish system using something small and relatively cheap in the 50wpc range for the extra atmos channels would clear up a load on modern setup. Perhaps start by having entry level receivers that JUST power 3 channels. Front left, right and center. Make everything above 3.1 require addon amplifier modules in a small separate enclosure. That way you could constantly upgrade "another module, two more speakers" when you have the cash to do so.
I get what you are saying, but it may actually be better the other way round.
Many use the AVR to provide the surround channels only. More flexibility mapping the channels would allow the best use for the users system.

Of course, a processor only completely removes the amps and solves the problem but costs more.

- Rich

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis