The DO is Getting a Baby Brother!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks to a group buy over on AVS I scored a pair of Mach 5 UXL-18's. I just received the first one today, with the second to follow sometime soon. It's done this way to keep buyers under the radar of customs since these are coming from Canadada.

Each driver is about 65lbs and from what I've modeled I'll most likely be mounting them in a slightly smaller box than the other sub, along with skipping the 1.5" sides in favor of better bracing and more sound dampening material inside. It looks like I'll be powering this sub with a Peavey IPR2 5000 and eventually I'll be powering the older brother with an IPR2 7500. I'm also thinking of redoing the box and possibly the alignment for the single 18" I have from PAP, but that's a story for a different thread.

iST Ltd.

This is for a slightly earlier version of the driver before a few improvements were made.

Data-Bass

Anywho, here are the pics of the driver.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Do you have a box design we can look at as well, I would like to see where this puppy is gonna take up residence.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
Big boom! Big bada boom!

Congrats! Don't forget to call a structural engineer and evaluate the home for earthquake tolerance :D.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You, my friend, are out...of...control!:D
Nahhh. Now if I try to add another subwoofer and two more speakers to get up to 11.4, then we might have a problem. :eek:

It will look like a coffin when his girlfriends sees them.
She already knows. I think at this point she's just given up. Although I know when we eventually move, she won't settle for a place with fewer than 3 bedrooms and an attached garage so she can banish me and all my "bullish!t" to someplace she doesn't have to see it :D

Big boom! Big bada boom!

Congrats! Don't forget to call a structural engineer and evaluate the home for earthquake tolerance :D.
5th Element, nice :p I've been trying to knock this place down for quite some time. Hopefully this will just about do it. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Do you have a box design we can look at as well, I would like to see where this puppy is gonna take up residence.
It will basically just be a smaller version of the other dual opposed. I have to re-model the sub to get some exact dimensions, but it should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 24W X 24H X 28D. Once I get the dimensions I can mock something up with sketch up.

The long term plan is to get 2-4 more LMS U's and 4-6 (maybe 8 depending on room size) more of these things, move the LMS U's to large vented enclosure's and keep these sealed. The LMS U's would handle from the crossover point down to about 20-25hz and the sealed, dual opposed UXL's would handle from about 25-5hz. Who knows if it'll ever happen, but that's the dream :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The long term plan is to get 2-4 more LMS U's and 4-6 (maybe 8 depending on room size) more of these things, move the LMS U's to large vented enclosure's and keep these sealed. The LMS U's would handle from the crossover point down to about 20-25hz and the sealed, dual opposed UXL's would handle from about 25-5hz. Who knows if it'll ever happen, but that's the dream :D
Don't mind my awesome photo editing skills...

Rehab.jpg

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Alright, so after an extensive amount of time getting Bass Box Pro to cooperate, then running through about 6 different box shapes and even a few alignment experimentations, I'm 85% sure this is what I'm going to go with and the performance I'm shooting for. This is going to replace the PAP sub on the other side of the couch, so I wanted it to be as end table like as possible, while fitting into an extremely tight footprint. Luckily, and one reason I wanted these drivers, is that they seem to lend themselves to small boxes without losing too much performance.

The current box size looks like it's going to be about 22H X 20W X 21D. For reference, these have an interior diameter of 16.69" and a mounting depth of about 9.5" so there's going to be right around 2" between the magnets. Box volume, minus the approximate volume of the drivers is 3.95 cuft, but that doesn't take into account the bracing. Bracing should yield a negligible impact, especially after the sides are lined with rock wool and it gets stuffed with poly fill. Anywho, for those who have no interest in reading the graphs, F3 is reading 57.63, but that's taking into account maximum output above where my crossover point will be. So if I take the maximum output below my crossover point of 80hz (126db), then my F3 is at approximately 48hz. F10 occurs at 25.5hz (116db). SPL at 10hz should be right around 101db. All of this is with the RMS power of the amp I'll be using with it (1100 WPC). Also, as you can see I'm nowhere near xmax, which is 34mm. At the maximum recommended peak wattage (2000 watts) all numbers get bumped up by about 2.5db's. All in all performance should be pretty much on par with the other dual opposed I have, although it will be interesting to compare distortion between the two.

One last thing. Qtc = .568

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
For the future, if you are worried about customs shipping from Canada, just send them to me! You know, in the interest of helping out! :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
For the future, if you are worried about customs shipping from Canada, just send them to me! You know, in the interest of helping out! :D
I'll keep that in mind :p I still have another one that has yet to be shipped, maybe I can have him reroute it ;)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Still waiting on the other sub and the weather to get a little nicer. Then it's time to let the MDF dust fly, although I may wait until after spring break since (assuming all goes well Monday) I'll be taking a short trip down to MD to meet with some principals who will hopefully be blown away and offer me a job right on the spot. At which point I'd have to move all this crap down there and it would be much easier to move two drivers than one large heavy subwoofer.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Just got the tracking information for the other driver. My plan to get MDF didn't work out so well, so I better get my rear in gear.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Two double baffles order up!

The braces. I doubt I'll need more than two.

First brace going in

I knew that this thing would be small and I knew that there would only be about an inch between the magnets, but I didn't realize just how small this thing is until I started to get everything cut. It may not be in actual dimensions and volume, but it's going to look half the size of the other DO.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Second brace going in. This cold weather is causing longer clamp times. Oh well, I still need a few things before I can go past a certain point anyways.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis