The Beatles in Mono Vinyl Box Set (Limited Edition) Review

How do you prefer to hear the Beatles?

• Vinyl: Analog Mono Masters All the Way!

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Vinyl: Stereo

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • CD: Go digital!

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • 8-Track. Yea I still got me one of them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MP3 compressed to play on my earbuds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above. Bieber mania!

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Beatles in Mono Vinyl (180G) Box Set Review

Newly mastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studio from the original analog masters, The Beatles “Get Back” to mono with this limited edition 14 disc LP box set. All 14 albums are 180-gram, with the original artwork, as well as a 108-page hardbound book.

The mixes sound crisp, with the lowest noise floor we’ve ever heard in vinyl. On a good setup you can hear a phantom center image and you will swear some of these records sound as if they are in stereo.

So what are you waiting for? It's time to enjoy the Beatles the way they were supposed to be heard and turn this generation of Justin Bieber MP3 listeners on to some real music with substance and excellence in audio fidelity!

Read our Beatles Mono Vinyl Box Set Review

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
It was nice of Kanye to help get these guys started.

:D

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Out of nostalgia - I was born and grew up in the vinyl era - I would prefer vinyl. However for the ease of use, I have voted for CD; I purchased the mono CD box when it was released.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I never understood the appeal for mono recordings. I find the soundstage is generally collapsed in a mono recording. Maybe with the Beetles recordings, it may be better in mono than the goofy attempt at stereo back in that day having instruments play out of one speaker or the other but not both.

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I voted CD. Every time I get the itch to get back into vinyl, I just wait a few days and it goes away.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I set the Dolby CP500 to MONO to listen to the stereo and mono A, B comparisons switching on youtube (for free) on centre channel and I hear a ether a rise in level between the two or an instrument that may not be included in another mix. Best to have the stereo LP and set Phone to MONO on the AVR, sorted now no need to waste money again.

"And, second, these sound better!"

Last edited:
J

JackA

Enthusiast
To Gene: For many a year, I was always curious why (early) The Beatles stereo mixes were lopsided, like vocals in one stereo channel and music in the others, until I found the multi-tracks. Long story short, it's difficult to remix to "true" stereo, because whatever was done (primarily) to Ringo's drumming, disallows decent stereo mixes. That is really sad. I have to assume George Martin is to blame. I heard he would do anything to increase the sound a DB or two, even if it meant screwing with Ringo's drumming.

J

JackA

Enthusiast
I never understood the appeal for mono recordings. I find the soundstage is generally collapsed in a mono recording. Maybe with the Beetles recordings, it may be better in mono than the goofy attempt at stereo back in that day having instruments play out of one speaker or the other but not both.
DB, yeah, me, too, why bother with mono? Listening to mono with stereo headphones makes you believe you have a nasty head-cold. But, no one ever told me why I enjoy stereo mixes so much, so I had to find the answer myself. I call it sound masking, others may have a different name (though I have yet to hear anyone mention it). For example, when you mix sounds, it's difficult to hear the beauty of an acoustic guitar that is bundled with bass, drums, singing etc. Open the 'sound stage' allows greater defined sounds. While I love stereo, what should be technically superior is having (4) or more discrete channels, SACD, DVD whatever to listen to. And, yes, having heard those Beatles multi-tracks, some CAN be remixed, and it's like hearing the songs for the very first time, when you untwist what others previously twisted and marketed.

B

brian leblanc

Audiophyte
The Beatles in Mono Vinyl (180G) Box Set Review

Newly mastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studio from the original analog masters, The Beatles “Get Back” to mono with this limited edition 14 disc LP box set. All 14 albums are 180-gram, with the original artwork, as well as a 108-page hardbound book.

The mixes sound crisp, with the lowest noise floor we’ve ever heard in vinyl. On a good setup you can hear a phantom center image and you will swear some of these records sound as if they are in stereo.

So what are you waiting for? It's time to enjoy the Beatles the way they were supposed to be heard and turn this generation of Justin Bieber MP3 listeners on to some real music with substance and excellence in audio fidelity!

Read our Beatles Mono Vinyl Box Set Review
Rubber Soul is my favorite album of all time. In My Life was our first dance at our wedding. I knew there was a reason I have become hooked on Audioholics.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis