The AudioIdiot returns with another question about upgrading his receiver

C

c21manuel

Enthusiast
So I want to upgrade from my HK AVR-1700, bc it turns itself off when i put it the least bit loud, now that I have upgraded my speakers to Magnepan MMG's.

Basically I want a nice receiver that will come with preamp outputs (which my avr 1700 didnt have :( ) that will power my MMG's for awhile until I pony up for an amp too. I was hoping to spend in the $500-1150

Thanks so much in advance everyone

C

c21manuel

Enthusiast
I am looking at the NAD t748 and the denon avr x1000

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Your speakers are just under four ohms impedance, but give a close approximation to a resistive load. They are not very sensitive and will burn up most receivers. The amp sections of receivers leave a lot to be desired. I would get a receiver with pre outs and an amp right away. Those speakers will void the warranty on most receivers. I would get a mid priced receiver with pre outs and a four ohm capable power amp. Look for an amp that pretty much doubles its power into four ohms over 8 ohms. Take a look at the Crown Drivecore series.

I would strike the NAD. It stands for Not Always Dependable.

C

c21manuel

Enthusiast
THanks for the response TLS, could I just pair up the Denon I listed with this crown, or would you step up to the next amp up? Crown XLS 1000

C

c21manuel

Enthusiast
Awesome. Is the Denon X1000 what you mean by "mid priced," or did you have something else in mind? Also, can I order the crown without the stackable face grill sticking out on the sides, like a normal component so that it looks similar, or is that not happening.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

or maybe marantz 1403?
The Denon is no good to you. It does not have preouts, only multizone outs, which is not the same thing.

The Marantz is a low powered unit, with only left and right preouts, not the center and surrounds. Not having a center preout may be a problem for you down the road, although it would solve your current problem of how to drive the Maggies.

This is more of what I had in mind for a mid price receiver.

The Crown amps are pro amps, and so are intended for rack mounting. If you don't want rack mounting, you need a consumer power amp in the 150 watt to 200 watt per channel class. This will work fine, but will cost you more. This will work fine.

Unfortunately you chose speakers that do require substantial amplification.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Is this price too good to be true, or should I pull the trigger? It's the best price i've found on the 5008:
Marantz SR5008 7.2-Channel Home Theater Receiver with Apple AirPlay for $694.99 - best price SR5008 in
You need to check if they are an authorized dealer or not.

If you feel like throwing the dice on a refurb, A4L is an authorized dealer and have a better price for refurb:
MARANTZ SR5008 7.2 Network Home Theater Receiver with AirPlay | Accessories4less

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Can't the "REC OUT" jacks on the HK be used as pre-amp outputs for the front left/right speakers? I think that they can.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Can't the "REC OUT" jacks on the HK be used as pre-amp outputs for the front left/right speakers? I think that they can.
I don't know about this unit, but it seems to me that REC OUT is usually at a fixed gain (volume), so he would need volume control on the amp.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know about this unit, but it seems to me that REC OUT is usually at a fixed gain (volume), so he would need volume control on the amp.
Uggg. You'd think after three cups of coffee, I would have actually been thinking straight. :eek: I can't believe that I jacked that simple thing up. For some reason, I was thinking that the fixed output is what you'd want...after running amps for five years. Yes, yes...I'm a moron. At least part of the time.

Thanks for the correction.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Uggg. You'd think after three cups of coffee, I would have actually been thinking straight. :eek: I can't believe that I jacked that simple thing up. For some reason, I was thinking that the fixed output is what you'd want...after running amps for five years. Yes, yes...I'm a moron. At least part of the time.

Thanks for the correction.
LOL. It happens to the best of us eventually ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

No. There is no volume control, and in most units there is only a signal from analog sources. In all recent equipments no record output is allowed from digital inputs.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
In all recent equipments no record output is allowed from digital inputs.
That receiver actually can do that. I checked that part first, but as mentioned earlier, I got mentally twisted about on the fixed output this morning. :)

C

c21manuel

Enthusiast
Ordered: SR 5008, XLS 1000. Thanks so much for your help everyone, especially TLS guy and Adam. I will let you know how it goes on this thread!

Last edited:
C

c21manuel

Enthusiast
IMG_0072.jpg

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to answer my questions, pick stuff out, and even showed me how to plug some stuff in. This sounds great with both my music and my ps4. I have the airplay running pretty well to as I also got an apple TV, but it has it's moments where it's really choppy. I think that has to do with the wireless network.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis