The Audioholics High End 7.x Channel Recommended Home Theater System

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We're at it again with another recommended system, but this time we're upping the ante. Instead of simply trying to find the absolute best value, we try to balance price, performance, and aesthetics in a high end system.

Would you recommend the same gear with a similar budget, or something else?

Read the article: The Audioholics High End 7.x Channel Recommended Home Theater System

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have not heard any RBH speakers, but as often as they are recommended around here I will have to give them a listen. If I had to do an $18k 7.2 system where aesthetics were as big of a concern as performance, I would go for a Funk Audio setup, seven Funk 6.1s with a couple of gloss black 18.0 subwoofers. Throw all that on a Denon X4000 and an Oppo or a PC, and you are set. For the 10k System, how about seven Ascend Sierra 2s with a couple gloss black Rythmik F15HPs on a Denon AVR and an Oppo player. Either system would look terrific and sound great.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
You guys have been recommending similar systems to this for quite a long time. Will there be a 5.x with a similar budget? I'd be curious to see what the RBH selection would be...

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You guys have been recommending similar systems to this for quite a long time. Will there be a 5.x with a similar budget? I'd be curious to see what the RBH selection would be...
You could drop the rear speakers and just upgrade the subs to SX-1010/R's. I wouldn't jump to towers unless you're going to SX-8300/R but most people will find it challenging to blend a bass capable tower speaker system with separate powered subs. We try to recommend systems that are less painful to setup.

We are just getting started. My goal is to have 1 new recommended system per month if Steve M is willing to write of course ;)

Definitive Technology has some great options that sound and look excellent that I'd highly recommend.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
No shock or surprise - that RBH/EMP was recommended again.

Maybe in the future a different company/manufacturer will show up.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
No shock or surprise - that RBH/EMP was recommended again.

Maybe in the future a different company/manufacturer will show up.
We have several new systems featuring products other than EMP/RBH but it's easier to make false assumptions rather than reading the site.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
We have several new systems featuring products other than EMP/RBH but it's easier to make false assumptions rather than reading the site.
I have been reading the site for years - and it is what I see - a lean
towards RBH/EMP :)

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
You could drop the rear speakers and just upgrade the subs to SX-1010/R's. I wouldn't jump to towers unless you're going to SX-8300/R but most people will find it challenging to blend a bass capable tower speaker system with separate powered subs.\
Edumacate me. Why is it difficult with all the crossover and volume control and an spl meter to have the subs augment the deep 20-40hz region and let the towers do what they do well?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Edumacate me. Why is it difficult with all the crossover and volume control and an spl meter to have the subs augment the deep 20-40hz region and let the towers do what they do well?
1. If you use bass management of our processor and set the crossover to 40-60Hz, you risk truncating LFE on many products.
2. Double bass can be tricky and cause too much gain in region where towers and subs overlap. Unless you can EQ at least the subs, this can be problematic.
3. Getting the subs and speakers properly time aligned so they don't cancel out is a challenge without test gear.

I've installed many full range towers with powered subs, but it requires more work than simply installing sub / sat systems where the subs do all the work below 80Hz. It's usually easier and preferred to have all of the powered subs play an identical mono signal. Of course in my system with the Status 8T I totally break that rule but it was a b1tch to setup correctly and there are still drawbacks to consider.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Good morning gents,

We had a pricing error on the Marantz AV8801/Outlaw 7700 combo. It's actually $4,898 vs the $5,298 that we had listed. The article is being updated.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I have already seen that - and I also read this
$5,000 5.2 Channel Recommended Home Theater System | Audioholics

I am not just talking about this year - I am talking about the consistent highlight
through the years for RBH/EMP/Status Acoustics.

EMP on their website mentions Audioholics around 14 times

RBH mentions Audioholics around 9 times

One of the more constant reviews and marketing around here, is for the RBH brands,
a search on the Audioholics home page, will show a lot of this.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I am not just talking about this year - I am talking about the consistent highlight through the years for RBH/EMP/Status Acoustics.
So it bothers you that Gene loves himself some RBH, highly recommends them, and enjoys getting opportunities to review their latest and greatest?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

I am not just talking about this year - I am talking about the consistent highlight

One of the more constant reviews and marketing around here, is for the RBH brands,
zieglj01, you know it is possible that RBH makes awesome speakers and Gene is big fan and there is nothing else here :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
zieglj01, you know it is possible that RBH makes awesome speakers and Gene is big fan and there is nothing else here :)
I am not saying that they do not make awesome speakers.

And yes, Gene is a big fan.:)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Yes we've had great relations with them since the inception of this site over 15 years ago. They are a no nonsense company that places real engineering over marketing and psuedo science. I personally like the company and its staff and of course their products which is why I chose them in my own reference systems despite having countless other brand options at my disposal. I'm not sure what you're trying to imply that isn't already public knowledge. WE have about 15-20 companies that we have very close relations with that are NOT afraid of us taking their products apart to review and analyze. We also review many other brands but unfortunately they aren't as attuned to the value and importance of the internet so they don't get as much exposure as a result.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not sure what you're trying to imply that isn't already public knowledge. WE have about 15-20 companies that we have very close relations with that are NOT afraid of us taking their products apart to review and analyze. We also review many other brands but unfortunately they aren't as attuned to the value and importance of the internet so they don't get as much exposure as a result.
Nothing wrong with an owner loving their products.

However, all this seems a little awkward each year.

It would be nice to see more on site, even out of them 15-20 + companies.

Have a nice day.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Nothing wrong with an owner loving their products.

However, all this seems a little awkward each year.

It would be nice to see more on site, even out of them 15-20 + companies.

Have a nice day.

We have recently done a ton of coverage for SVS, MartinLogan, NHT and others and are working on expanding that coverage. If this isn't diversified enough for you, there are plenty of other websites to read. You have stated your position about this many times and quite frankly its time to move on.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Oi!! Again with the no turntable? I'm shocked and appalled and sensing a pattern here. :p Also there's not enough emoticons at this site for me to get in touch with my feelings. :D

Question, why the RBH subs? Why not Funks, Rythmik or SVS? I'm only curious. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis