The Audio Path In Consumer-Grade Products

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Are we talking new or second hand? An older Denon AVR-1200W will do. That's about +- 2 years old.
I would say new only, unless you know the used one really well. Don't risk your shirt either, go with something like a AVR-X4200W to be on the safe side if you want to stick with Denon.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Let me get this straight. Their success rate was based on listening to a 1 kHz tone? :) As far as I can tell, no music was involved which is what actually matters.
Yet the published specs that most here cling to as proof that amps will sound the same are all based on tones and not real music.

You can't have it both ways.

Last edited:
G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
Yet the published specs that most here cling to here as proof that amps will sound the same are all based on tones and not real music.

Who is clinging to published specs? Who claims *all* amps sound the same?

Controlled tests involving actual music, not 1 kHz test tones in highly pathological situations, have been done. For decades. Audiophiles fail time and again, and again, and again, again ... etc. After a while a pattern begins to emerge.

Like I said, the strongly held opinion that AVR's (or any amp, even a budget model) sounds inferior to more expensive competition is based on casual, non-blind listening which is well known to result in all kinds of false perceptions of audible differences.

As I said, show me audibility data that you (or anyone) can reliably hear "night and day" difference/improvement in a bias-controlled listening evaluation and then we can talk.

Last edited:
E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Who claims *all* amps sound the same? Sounds like a strawman position you concocted rather than a real position held by any rational person.
Really? If they don't sound the same why are you so confident people can't hear a difference?

So again, a machine compares test tones and that's OK with you but if a human does it "That's hilarious".

Keep moving the goal post...

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
Really? If they don't sound the same why are you so confident people can't hear a difference?
Amps can sound different. Amps can clip and distort. Some amps can have very high output impedance.

However many amps don't, and if they are operating below clipping in non-sighted conditions they are likely to sound the same which is what prior subjective controlled testing has confirmed.

No one I know has ever claimed all amps sound the same. It's a straw man position concocted by poorly informed subjectivists.

So again, a machine compares test tones and that's OK with you but if a human does it "That's hilarious".
People don't listen to test tones, <eargiant, but musical signals. I don't know how many more times I have to raise that important point.

If you can't demonstrate your amp sounds different/better listening to music which is what it was designed for - listening to music - then what does it matter? People don't glue themselves to their chairs spinning 1 kHz test tones. :rolleyes:

I said before, now for a second time - amps live in two worlds, the world of measurements where all sorts of things make small numerical differences that do not make any audible differences, and of course there is the world of audible sound quality where those numerical differences don't guarantee sound quality differences.

Human hearing has thresholds for what can and can't be heard and these thresholds are well known. Human ears do not have unlimited sensitivity to measurable differences. Human ears are not infallible. Despite that, the measurable performance of audio gear tends to improve year after year after year.

This trend will likely never end.

Keep moving the goal post...
What goalposts have I moved exactly? This discussion is simply way over your head.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yet the published specs that most here cling to as proof that amps will sound the same are all based on tones and not real music.

I'm pretty sure when a DBT is performed that test tones aren't what is used to determine the sq...

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
People don't listen to test tones, <eargiant, but musical signals. I don't know how many more times I have to raise that important point.

I said before, now for a second time - amps live in two worlds, the world of measurements where all sorts of things make small numerical differences that do not make any audible differences, and of course there is the world of audible sound quality where those numerical differences don't guarantee sound quality differences.
You're starting to sound like an "audiophile".

You do realize that those "two worlds" you speak of are the Objectivist's world and the Subjectivist's world.

I'm having a hard time understanding where you stand based on you comments.

Yes, I'm with you that listening to real music is where we can hear the differences but if you bring that up the objectivists will say it's a figment of you imagination because the test tones don't support your conclusion. Yet, if like John Siau you listen to test tones (which are withing human hearing limits) to appease these people, and can correctly identify the differences then inevitably someone says, well...what you basically said.

It's a lose/lose proposition.

Personally, I wouldn't want to partake in a test with tones because I don't know what they're supposed to sound like. Give me Willie Nelson's high pitch on The Red Headed Stranger, Bob Dylan's screeching harmonica, the bass in Walla Walla, etc., etc. and I'll have a better shot at telling you which amp is inferior - but if their measured specs 20Hz-20kHz (which are based on tones) are similar- many here will say I'm "delusional".

Human hearing has thresholds for what can and can't be heard and these thresholds are well known.
This is completely and utterly incorrect. Read up on the current science.

Studies are still being conducted that are uncovering how millions of years of evolution had fine tuned our hearing of spatial cues and timing in order for us to survive. Sure listening to tests tones, yes. But how our ears perceive spatial cues and timing to "see" and "map" the space around us is still an area that is not fully understood. Far from it.

What goalposts have I moved exactly? This discussion is simply way over your head.
First off, quit with the insinuating personal attacks. Stating that something is way over my head does not make you look as smart as you think you are.

You seem to jumping from an objective to a subjective viewpoint as it suits you.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Eargiant, I've seen more insinuating personal attacks in your posts in this thread than anyone else participating.

Dbt's using test tones appeases no one.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So why do you put so much stock into a machine when it compares test tones?
I don't. As long as it amplifies sound without audible distortion it's doing its job. I don't live and die by specs, but they can give some useful information. If I were to guess, the dynamics in music might make it harder for a device to measure continuous output?

Dbt's on the other hand, why... would you listen to a test tone to judge sound quality? How about a test by an unbiased third party using actual music? Oh, I know why. Because too many audiophiles haven't been able to discern the difference under true dbt conditions. How is it that so many audiophiles in dbt's have failed to consistently choose the superior machine so many times?

I haven't seen you respond to that last question yet and you've been asked a couple of times.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm still a noob in this hobby. I have much to learn, but even at my level I can read what Goliath (and a few others) is typing and it makes sense to me. Most of your replies are all bluster and bravado. You can't show any evidence or data to support any of your claims so you start slagging off on others and insinuate we lack the skills and intelligence to be able to hear it.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
I don't. As long as it amplifies sound without audible distortion it's doing its job. I don't live and die by specs, but they can give some useful information. If I were to guess, the dynamics in music might make it harder for a device to measure continuous output?

Dbt's on the other hand, why... would you listen to a test tone to judge sound quality? How about a test by an unbiased third party using actual music? Oh, I know why. Because too many audiophiles haven't been able to discern the difference under true dbt conditions. How is it that so many audiophiles in dbt's have failed to consistently choose the superior machine so many times?

I haven't seen you respond to that last question yet and you've been asked a couple of times.
I don't live and die by specs either and I do find them useful but I trust my ears over a spec sheet any day. I have heard many a top end units that sounds like $#/! to me. I trust my ears.

But see, even when musical passages are used to test equipment and the graphs clearly show differences between gear many still say- well, you can't hear that anyway.

What were these "many audiophiles" testing in these DBTs ? BS cables? magic rocks? maple bases? CD sprays? Cable elevators?

Or AVRs against high quality 2 channel gear?

I would think it's harder to detect the difference in a test tone than it is to hear the difference in real music that I'm familiar with. I bet John Siau would have also ace'd that test with music but I also suspect it still wouldn't have swayed anyone.

The funny thing is that on another thread here when I mentioned music listening, another member told me he doesn't sit in his chair like I do comparing the same tracks with his ass clenched like me (or something to that effect).:D

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The funny thing is that on another thread here when I mentioned music listening, another member told me he doesn't sit in his chair like I do comparing the same tracks with his ass clenched like me (or something to that effect).
Bwaha ha ha ha ha! Now that's just funny! :p

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
I'm still a noob in this hobby. I have much to learn, but even at my level I can read what Goliath (and a few others) is typing and it makes sense to me. Most of your replies are all bluster and bravado. You can't show any evidence or data to support any of your claims so you start slagging off on others and insinuate we lack the skills and intelligence to be able to hear it.
You're taking my intentions the wrong way. It's the "noobs" I want to help so that they can keep an open mind. It kills me to think that a guy like you might buy into everything they read without actually going out there and experiencing the possibilities. Sometimes the results are in direct conflict with what you expected.

You don't know what you don't know. Seek your own experiences. I was where you were once but exposure and experience made me realize that there was more than meets the eye.

What they are typing makes sense to you because you want it to. You own an AVR. You are happy with it and I'm sure it sounds fantastic in your set-up (btw, that new speaker set-up you have looks nice).

But admittedly, you say you are a noob. Maybe you will question more when you get out there and listen to some of what's out there.

Read, discuss, debate, argue, agree, whatever- but most importantly get out there and expose yourselves to the stunning possibilities in this great hobby!

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
You're starting to sound like an "audiophile".

You do realize that those "two worlds" you speak of are the Objectivist's world and the Subjectivist's world.

I'm having a hard time understanding where you stand based on you comments.
Measurements, unless correlating to audibility, are just numbers. Below a readily achievable point, lower measurable performance has no correlation to audible sound quality.

I've explained this to you very clearly but you still can't grasp this rather basic concept.

Yes, I'm with you that listening to real music is where we can hear the differences but if you bring that up the objectivists will say it's a figment of you imagination because the test tones don't support your conclusion.
Audiophiles who claim XYZ from their audio gear do so using music, not pure tones. Objectivists who may claim imagination as a possibility are not necessarily wrong - it's certainly a possible cause when the listening is uncontrolled.

In my world self-deception and imagination exists. Unless controls are put in place to isolate it from the listening...

Yet, if like John Siau you listen to test tones (which are withing human hearing limits) to appease these people, and can correctly identify the differences then inevitably someone says, well...what you basically said.
Audiophile claims are based on musical signals, not pure sine waves so your argument is irrelevant. John Siau used a pathological test condition that is not representative of actual real-world use.

He could have easily performed a controlled test using music to put skeptics in their place but chose not to and for good reason. That's all you need to know.

This is completely and utterly incorrect. Read up on the current science.

Studies are still being conducted that are uncovering how millions of years of evolution had fine tuned our hearing of spatial cues and timing in order for us to survive. Sure listening to tests tones, yes. But how our ears perceive spatial cues and timing to "see" and "map" the space around us is still an area that is not fully understood. Far from it.
<Eargiant, humans do not have infinite hearing sensitivity, there are limits to what can be heard. These limits haven't magically changed. Dunning-Kruger prevents people from recognising this. Just like it prevents them from recognising the effects of psychology on perception.

First off, quit with the insinuating personal attacks. Stating that something is way over my head does not make you look as smart as you think you are.
Stating that this discussion is over your head is an observation, not a personal attack. I have conversed with many audiophiles like you over the years so I see the patterns rather clearly and sadly I suffer fools.

You seem to jumping from an objective to a subjective viewpoint as it suits you.
Yes, "seems to". When you can't read what is written effectively communication suffers. Neither matters since you can't back up any of your claims.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You're taking my intentions the wrong way. It's the "noobs" I want to help so that they can keep an open mind. It kills me to think that a guy like you might buy into everything they read without actually going out there and experiencing the possibilities. Sometimes the results are in direct conflict with what you expected.

You don't know what you don't know. Seek your own experiences. I was where you were once but exposure and experience made me realize that there was more than meets the eye.

What they are typing makes sense to you because you want it to. You own an AVR. You are happy with it and I'm sure it sounds fantastic in your set-up (btw, that new speaker set-up you have looks nice).

But admittedly, you say you are a noob. Maybe you will question more when you get out there and listen to some of what's out there.

Read, discuss, debate, argue, agree, whatever- but most importantly get out there and expose yourselves to the stunning possibilities in this great hobby!
I also own a Monolith 7. A very capable amplifier built by ATI. I cannot discern a difference in sound quality between it and my receiver. Not even a little. My receiver sounds just as good as my 1400 watt amplifier. I've never driven either to their limits.

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
Goliath I've seen more insinuating personal attacks in your posts in this thread than anyone else participating.
That can happen when people don't read what is written and erect straw man positions out of thin air. Par for the course in these discussions.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Measurements, unless correlating to audibility, are just numbers. Below a readily achievable point, lower measurable performance has no correlation to audible sound quality.

I've explained this to you quite clearly but you still can't grasp this rather basic concept.

Audiophiles who claim XYZ from their audio gear do so using music, not pure tones. Objectivists who may claim imagination as a possibility are not necessarily wrong - it's certainly a possibility when the listening is uncontrolled.

In my world self-deception exists. Unless controls are put in place to isolate it from the listening...

What part of listening to music don't you understand? Audiophile claims are based on musical signals, not pure sine waves. John Siau used a pathological test condition no one will ever experience because it not representative of actual real-world use.

He could have easily performed a controlled test using music to put skeptics in their place but chose not to and for good reason. That's all you need to know.

Humans do not have infinite hearing sensitivity, there are limits to what can be heard. These limits haven't magically changed. Dunning-Kruger prevents people from recognising this. Much like your audio claims, you have no evidence to show that you can hear what you claim to hear.

Stating that this discussion is over your head is an observation, not a personal attack. I have conversed with many audiophiles like you over the years so I see the patterns rather clearly and sadly I suffer fools.

Yes, "seems to". When you can't read what is written effectively communication suffers. Neither matters since you can't back up any of your claims.

If I can get John to conduct another ABX test using music will that be enough for you to shut your obstinate trap?

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
S
If I can get John to conduct another ABX test using music will that be enough for you to shut your obstinate trap?
For me, sure. as long as it's a true dbt performed by a third party. Even if he passes it all that says is that's he's one of maybe 10 people on the planet who could do so.

Ever heard of Richard Clark and his $10,000 amp challenge? He claims 1000's have tried and no one collected the prize. Here's another interesting article on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis