The absolute best RG6 cable?

N

netarc

Audiophyte
Wondering what folks' opinions are of the best RG6 cable out there (e.g., for baseband audio/video distribtion in a multizone system)? From what I've read recently, it seems like Belden's 1694A is one of the top contenders?

Belden 1694A 3.0GHz RG6/U Precision Video Cable

Up until now we've been using ProConnect copper conductor, 2.2Ghz-swept quad-shield cable, but thinking of switching to the 1694A.

Other thoughts/suggestions?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I'd say the 1694A is definitely a great cable. Belden also makes a cable called the 7710A which is a 3 cable bundle of the 1694A. You can also get these in plenum rated cables, so that's an added bonus. It's basically the standard for broadcast-quality video transmission.

N

netarc

Audiophyte
jaxvon said:
I'd say the 1694A is definitely a great cable. <snip> It's basically the standard for broadcast-quality video transmission.
What about distribution of DVD or HD video, though ... think this cable would be sufficient for that, say over lengths of 50-100'?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Definitely. The 18awg conductor is about as big as you're going to find in a coax which means lower resistive losses. Here's a link to the specs on Belden's website. There's a chart for dB of attenuation at different frequencies.

inmypjs

inmypjs

Junior Audioholic
Does it really matter if one is using RG59 or RG6 cable if the length is less than 20 feet? Will one's signal improve? i.e. my higher channels have noise but i'm not sure if the cables I'm using are RG59 or RG6 (not labeled). Also, does it make a difference if one is using a brand bought from Radioshack or from Belden?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
inmypjs said:
Does it really matter if one is using RG59 or RG6 cable if the length is less than 20 feet? Will one's signal improve? i.e. my higher channels have noise but i'm not sure if the cables I'm using are RG59 or RG6 (not labeled). Also, does it make a difference if one is using a brand bought from Radioshack or from Belden?
20 feet? Most likely not. How many sets are you running on your system, i.e.. how many times is it split? Too many soplits can ruin an otherwise fine signal.

You might try substituting another cable and see if the problem resolves itself. RatShack sells premade ones for a song. ...or it sould be the signal coming into your house.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis