The 10 Audioholics Commandments

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
After being in the AV business for over 10 years and with literally hundreds of product reviews under our collective belts, we can't help but come to a few conclusions. Commandments if you will. These are things we believe that everyone interested in AV gear should keep in mind before purchasing.

Discuss "The 10 Audioholics Commandments" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Great article and I agree completely, especially about the subwoofer and display size.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I just found out that my 106" display is too small.:eek:

Oh well, this gives me a good excuse to upgrade to 1080p.:D

(Oh honey.......)

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Gene, weren't there actually more commandments but somehow you tripped and broke some of them?

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Awesome article! I put it on your FB page!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm a bigtime believer in rule #1. I think for most home theater sound budgets, the subs should comprise from 1/3 to 1/2 the budget, it is that crucial to the experience. It's so sad when I see someone spending $2k on speakers but only $250 for the sub. That should be an arrestable offense. But I suppose that is par for the course in the home audio world, a world where Bose reigns supreme.

Room treatments and large displays are always good things, but they don't make much sense outside of dedicated home theater rooms or listening rooms. Lets face it, most acoustic paneling and room treatments look goofy. And for most people, high fidelity audio isn't as important as an aesthetically pleasing environment. Of course, there are ways to have a room both sound nice and look nice, but that is tricky to do and only viable in some circumstances.

A

AllenW

Enthusiast
Pretty much makes sense, I might add one.

Make sure you actually know what the person wants and can afford before sending them off to the audio store.

While number 5 probably comes close to this, I'd maybe expand it a bit.

Not so sure I'd agree with 1/2 on a sub, personal choice I know but (for me) my SVS PB12 does just find and it was far less than 1/2 the cost of my system, 3k on a display alone takes it out of that range.

Good post though.

Al

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
gotta say, tom thought this would be cheesy when i first saw the title, but i'm sure i will be linking to it frequently on other forums. great, great stuff.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
I was also expecting to see "Thou shalt not overspend on cables and interconnects."

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
After being in the AV business for over 10 years and with literally hundreds of product reviews under our collective belts, we can't help but come to a few conclusions. Commandments if you will. These are things we believe that everyone interested in AV gear should keep in mind before purchasing.

Discuss "The 10 Audioholics Commandments" here. Read the article.
I understand wall treatments but, just what can I do about the VAULTED ceiling? I hope it's something simple.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I think the first commandment should have been thou shalt not buy bose.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Great rant.

I disagree on the display commandment but that's a personal choice. While I wish my TV was bigger for movies, I wouldn't want to go any bigger for watching sports or too much would be happening away from where my eyes can focus.

Maybe some day I'll add a projector and screen for movies.

Jim

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis