Thanks to Audioholics and this forum

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
2-3 years ago when I decided to put together a real nice Home Theatre, I didn't really know where to start. Past purchases had been made based on salesman recommendation at the local chain stores. I wasn't convinced the salesmen were straight, or the stores really carried the "best" stuff for the price.

I started research w/ Google searches on the web. Found the Audioholics site and started reading some reviews. Then I found the forum and started reading that. The reviews seemed knowledgable, (a lot was over my head), but the level of detail and writing began to convince me the site was reputable and trustworthy.

I was cautiously skeptical about the forum, as I am about all forums. I asked some questions, got some answers, and slowly began to "know" individuals and personalities enough to form some opinions.

Now I have spent well over $10k putting together a HT, and it occurs to me that EVERY component in my system was recommended by an AH review and forum members, and EVERY component is a brand with which I was not familiar prior to beginning my research. Every component may not be a unanimous choice within the forum, but it is at least among the top picks. Members have not only provided insight into the equipment, but into the company and service as well.

I can honestly say I am exceptionally pleased with my system now. It sounds great and I have no regrets about any component. I continue to get tips and answers to questions from people I have grown to trust here.

So please let me say THANK YOU to Gene, the Audioholics Site and the forum members. It is a pleasure drawing from your expertise, and I figure you have literally saved me thousands of dollars.

To the new folks just finding this site and forum, I suggest you dedicate some time here. I believe you can trust the reviews, and you can find suggestions and opinions from people who love audio and are happy to share their experience.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
What no pics of the system we help build? :D Enjoy it!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
When I came across Audioholics in 2004, the extent of my knowledge was, that I thought Bose was the pinnacle of home audio. The rest, as they say, is history... I thank my good fortune to have stumbled across Audioholics.

Thanks Audioholics and awesome forum regulars for saving me from my ignorance :).

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
2-3 years ago when I decided to put together a real nice Home Theatre, I didn't really know where to start. Past purchases had been made based on salesman recommendation at the local chain stores. I wasn't convinced the salesmen were straight, or the stores really carried the "best" stuff for the price.

I started research w/ Google searches on the web. Found the Audioholics site and started reading some reviews. Then I found the forum and started reading that. The reviews seemed knowledgable, (a lot was over my head), but the level of detail and writing began to convince me the site was reputable and trustworthy.

I was cautiously skeptical about the forum, as I am about all forums. I asked some questions, got some answers, and slowly began to "know" individuals and personalities enough to form some opinions.

Now I have spent well over $10k putting together a HT, and it occurs to me that EVERY component in my system was recommended by an AH review and forum members, and EVERY component is a brand with which I was not familiar prior to beginning my research. Every component may not be a unanimous choice within the forum, but it is at least among the top picks. Members have not only provided insight into the equipment, but into the company and service as well.

I can honestly say I am exceptionally pleased with my system now. It sounds great and I have no regrets about any component. I continue to get tips and answers to questions from people I have grown to trust here.

So please let me say THANK YOU to Gene, the Audioholics Site and the forum members. It is a pleasure drawing from your expertise, and I figure you have literally saved me thousands of dollars.

To the new folks just finding this site and forum, I suggest you dedicate some time here. I believe you can trust the reviews, and you can find suggestions and opinions from people who love audio and are happy to share their experience.

Thanks again.
This is such wonderful feedback and I thank you for taking the time to write it. Testament like this is what makes our work so rewarding and it also lets manufacturers know just how beneficial a site like ours is for consumer research. Please post your system when you get a chance in our Pros vs Joes forum or here if you would like.

Thanks.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
...it also lets manufacturers know just how beneficial a site like ours is for consumer research. Please post your system when you get a chance.
Exactly right. I had never heard of Oppo or Rythmik or SVS or Emotiva or Aperion before reading about them here.
Picture? OK... here's my first attempt... hope it works.

HT Front Wide.jpg
Hard to see, but under the TV are the Emotiva XPA-5 on the left, and Denon X4000 on the right. I reinforced the cabinet w/ wood, screws and glue to hold the weight, and drilled something like 30 holes for air circulation. An Oppo 103 BDP is in the cabinet on the left, along with the satellite receiver. You can see the 2 front Aperion Verus Grand Towers and Center. Left of the Center speaker is a pair of Sennheiser RS120 wireless headphones. Right of the Center is an Amped Wireless access point. To the far right, you can see the edge of a Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer.

You cannot see the 2 Aperion Verus Grand Towers we use for surround l/r, or the KEF satellite surround rears, or the SVS PB13-Ultra that will be here Tuesday and go in the back of the room for my second sub.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looking good man. Why is there a towel on the sub?:eek: I assume the TV is a Samsung? Please keep the doors open on your cabinet and let it flow more!:)

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
My story here at the forums is much the same. Great advice, friendly people. I was just going to start a thread titled $10,000. That seems to be sort of a common budget threshold for what I will call entry level high end. I have read a lot of the recommended systems for x amount budget, but have not seen the 10k, if one exists. This is about what I will have in my system, so it would be interesting to see what some of you come up with. Thanks to all who have helped with your advice opinions as well.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I'm guessing "cat." :D
We have a winner... times 3! You may also notice something white to the left of the black cabinet. It is styrofoam I stuffed between the cabinets to keep the cats from going behind everything and getting into the cabinets or messing with the wires... or just messing. :eek: The Aperions come with nice velvet-like covers, and we cover them each night for protection.

Regarding the open doors, I really did drill 28 holes in the cabinet pieces before I put it together. A lot of 2", some 3", some 4", and some even larger. Holes in the sides, bottom, back, the center divider between the AVR & amp, and a ceiling fan overhead. You can just barely make out a row of 4" holes in the side above the styrofoam. (It was quite a project, but once again, recommendations from this forum led me to believe it was necessary.) I do keep an eye, (or hand), on it. So far, so good. Even after hours of continuous low volume music, followed by a very loud movie, both the AVR and amp are only warm to the touch. They have never gotten so warm as to be even a bit uncomfortable to touch. If it becomes necessary, I have plenty of places to mount a fan, (or 28).

Oh, and yes... the TV is a 55" Samsung LED.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Exactly right. I had never heard of Oppo or Rythmik or SVS or Emotiva or Aperion before reading about them here.
Picture? OK... here's my first attempt... hope it works.

View attachment 13407
Hard to see, but under the TV are the Emotiva XPA-5 on the left, and Denon X4000 on the right. I reinforced the cabinet w/ wood, screws and glue to hold the weight, and drilled something like 30 holes for air circulation. An Oppo 103 BDP is in the cabinet on the left, along with the satellite receiver. You can see the 2 front Aperion Verus Grand Towers and Center. Left of the Center speaker is a pair of Sennheiser RS120 wireless headphones. Right of the Center is an Amped Wireless access point. To the far right, you can see the edge of a Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer.

You cannot see the 2 Aperion Verus Grand Towers we use for surround l/r, or the KEF satellite surround rears, or the SVS PB13-Ultra that will be here Tuesday and go in the back of the room for my second sub.
Looks like you made some excellent choices. You may wish to wedge something in the back of your center channel to tilt the cabinet down a bit. Good luck and enjoy.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
There is no doubt that this is the friendliest forum around, with alot of fantastic helperS to guide you along. Gene and the others who run this forum are top notch. I'm forever in dept to all of yall.:cool: What only one pic Herbu? We need all angles. All least you post a pic Z never ever does.:D

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I know, right? I'm tempted to mail him one of my old mobile phones so he'll have a camera.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
:DYeah I was looking through stuff in boxes looking for one for him. Still looking. :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry to (slightly) high jack the thread, but I feel that lots gratitude is due from me as well - I learned tons on these forums and even some stuff from great articles, but still more from forums.
Thank for the patience and knowledge of people like Dr Mark, John, Craig, lsibirian, "Pyrro", Jinjuku and many many other including even Alex, Adam and Rick - yes, you guys once a while do provide value beyond entertainment which helps passing the time at boring work - which also appreciated.

Again Huge and very special thank you goes to Matt - Not just for your service to this country and sacrifice, but for my current sub - PA-120 as well - I still use it a love every day.
Hopefully later this year I would be able to upgrade it and pass it on to more junior AHer

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
What only one pic Herbu? We need all angles. All least you post a pic Z never ever does.:D
Did I notice my name again?:)

With nice people like GeneC, I saved some money (kept me) from buying a cell phone, to
take some pictures of the Vera VS05 bookshelf speakers.

The pictures of the insides and crossover - not a $500 look here.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/89820-mb-quart-vs05be-bookshelf-speakers-my-take-impressions-15.html#post1028265

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/attachments/loudspeakers/13380d1397605710-mb-quart-vs05be-bookshelf-speakers-my-take-impressions-004.jpg

:D:):cool:

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I know, right? I'm tempted to mail him one of my old mobile phones so he'll have a camera.
Audioholics, tends to have some nice forum members.

Are you still protecting your speakers from the house-keeper?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis