Thanks to all the advice before - here is my direction

P

petenaz

Enthusiast
I attached a few pictures of my room set up. Someone asked me in another area if front projection or RP would work. Front projection would not really work too well and our decorating ideas fit a wall hung TV better (components in the chinese alter table). I also will have speakers slightly offset from the main viewing couch - odd shape room. people have given me great insight and direction here so far, I do appreciate it.

What do you guys think about the Polk RM20 series? http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/flatscreens/series/rmpewter/rm20/
I heard them and they sound pretty good. I think they are small enough to blend with the room, but carry enough weight to grow into a new home (if that ever happens). They aren't a mint to buy either (a little pricey for my budget hopes but not terrible)

I have been researching some more and I like what I have been reading about the Yamaha RX2600. Not the top, but it has a little of the future built into it. I think the 1600 is an option if the price tag grows too much, but I may just piece things together slowly with the right componenets instead of comprimising too much. I still like the thought of the Denon 3805 or 6 too. I may opt for a lesser version if the price still climbs too much. I like all the suggestions that you guys gave though. It really helped. I have to go in and listen to the yamaha and denons side by side with the speakers. I do think HDMI is the option to go with for the TVs I am looking at (Panasonic Onyx or Pioneer Elite 50")

I also think I will look toward the Yamaha C750 if I end up with the Yamaha RCVR. Seems like a good match, but I am not discounting the Denon 2910 yet. Again, I will try to listen to them and look at the price point. I don't thinkI really need SACD at this point, but it won't hurt to have if it is in the player.

Anyway, that is where I'm so far. Still pondering but getting closer to a decision. I want upgradability, but I don't need the newest technology. I typically go the way of the all out top and it lasts longer, but this time I think I can hold back a little in an attempt to maintain some level of frugality. Still looking for help if you will give it. Especially in speaker set up and suggestions for that little living room. By the way the viewing distance is about 13' - couch to wall. That may give you an idea of the room size.

thanks -
P.

Attachments

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speaker suggestions

The Yamaha and Denon receivers you listed are both great mid-fi models. They are both very transparent so they sould not sound different on a particular set of speakers. I would go with the model that has the combination of features you need.

The above receivers really desirve a descent bookshelf speaker setup and subwoofer. You might consider on-wall or in-wall speakers to make them less obtrusive. Axiom audio just came out with a new line of on-wall speakers.

The Polks you listed would be a better match for a low end Denon or Yamaha receiver. The small drivers in these satellite speakers are not capable of producing the Mid frequencies and the small sub wont go very low. If you list a speaker budget, you will get plenty of specific recommendations.

P

petenaz

Enthusiast
speaker budget

jcPanny - I was thinking about a $1000 for speakers. I might push that up a little if I save some on the receiver. I'll have to look at the budget to see if I want to go any higher. Again, I want form and function - and I will ocnsider putting out more if it is really worth while (shich with speakers it usually is).

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
Same Thread?????

Moderators: Isn't this the same post in another area here? Can we combine the threads? Just wondering. I started to reply and I thought I could remember looking at the same pictures with the same resonse? If I am mistaken please forgive me.

Blessed,
Snap

S

so_cal_forever

Audioholic Intern
There are quite a few speaker packages in your price range. Some examples are:

-Home Theater Direct Level Two package
-Fluance SX-HTB+
-BIC Acoustech Cinema

The last of my suggestions would be my suggestion. For the money, it's a great HT package that I myself am considering for my soon coming HT upgrade. The package can be had for about $925:

http://www.sounddistributors.com/buynow.asp?action=detail&prid=1054&crid=63&cat_name=Home+Theater+Systems

The only issue being, you cant audition these before purchasing them. That may not be a biggie to you, but some people consider this a deal-breaker.

Good luck, and as it's said at Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis