Thank you Steely Dan

mwoltmann

mwoltmann

Enthusiast
Core members Walter Becker and Donald Fagen thank you so much along with the session musicians for helping me get through some of the toughest times in my life. I.E. my MOM dying at 41y/o my DAD at 52y/o who played you guys nonstop. My bacterial meningitis that caused my brain to swell, a dog mauling, a car accident I broke my C-2 C-3 vertebrae in along with shattering my left arm. The selling of the company my grandfather started in 1953 when family members sold their shares, I stood firm and kept mine for a time but was forced to sell or they would purposely open a new corp. I literally bit through my tongue and severed an artery in 5th grade. I also was bed ridden from Synovitis when the fluid in my hips got infected. Needless to say I have been through a lot at only 34... Through all those times I listened to your blend of Rock and Jazz and your band always made/makes me feel better. So thank you so much. I want to let you know I have written letters and tried to let you know.

7NYmH4p (1).jpg
tCUF0Qp.jpg
7NYmH4p (1).jpg
AE2u7ZU.png

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The value of music and the way it can cut directly to our soul can never be understated!
Glad you found it a source of strength though such hardships!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Music provides the soundtracks to our individual lives. Sounds like you have done a bunch of living. Music does indeed help smooth the path. I am a relative new comer to Steely Dan. I just bought my first Steely Dan music on 2016. I have enjoyed them and can't believe I didn't invest in them earlier.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Gaugcho DVD-A is one of the best discs I own. Amazingly recorded and mastered.

Music goes way beyond the gear and the format or how you listen to it. The feeling is what makes it part of us and is why it is so significant and important to many of us.

mwoltmann

mwoltmann

Enthusiast
Yes most of their production is stellar, especially Gaucho which is on many lists of the best produced and recorded albums. How do you add a signature I am a newbie, longtime lurker, but I completed my Music room and shared today. Any help is very much appreciated...

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Yes most of their production is stellar, especially Gaucho which is on many lists of the best produced and recorded albums. How do you add a signature I am a newbie, longtime lurker, but I completed my Music room and shared today. Any help is very much appreciated...
If you figure it out, let me know. Also, there is an option somewhere to show your geographic location. I would very much like to know how to do that as well. So far, it's a mystery:eek:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It is in your user profile but you may need to have a certain number of posts before it becomes available to you. I would think that number would be relatively low though. Hover on profile on the top right (web) and you will see signature, or go to your profile and it is under Personal Details.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Audioholic
I think I have just about every version of every SD album, and barely a week passes without a SD or Donald Fagen album being played on my system.

It's a pity that the more recent CD remasters are eq'ed and maximised to varying degrees, because many new SD discoverers will miss out on hearing them at their intended best fidelity.

The stereo MFSL version of Gaucho is the best version on CD, though not quite as good as the LP version.

My favourite SD album overall though is Katy Lied, in spite of the production difficulties, and if you can find the Hoffman master it's very nice and without the slightest hint of treble boost.

It's a pity that popular genre albums are no longer recorded with real session musicians and with a dedicated team of engineers who all strove for perfection at every level, but we can be thankful that Steely Dan existed during that all-too-brief period in the 70's when the music industry catered for the perfectionists and with Steely Dan the perfection was made into a permanent reality.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis