Tell me I made the right subwoofer choice....

1AGOFST

1AGOFST

Audioholic Intern
I was looking at ordering the SVS pb-2000, but was seeing a lot of HSU recommendations. I have about 4,500 cu ft in my space so I went with the VTF-3 MK5. Hoping it comes in this week.

I don't want to spend $ to ship it back so I hope it was the right choice.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I was looking at ordering the SVS pb-2000, but was seeing a lot of HSU recommendations. I have about 4,500 cu ft in my space so I went with the VTF-3 MK5. Hoping it comes in this week.

I don't want to spend $ to ship it back so I hope it was the right choice.
I just recently ordered a B-stock Hsu ULS-15 MK2 sub myself. Once it ships YOU will get it rather quickly. Like YOU, I knew going in I would NOT ship it back. Besides, B-stock sales are FINAL! So far so good. Have not done a lot of fine tuning just yet, because I have towers coming in Wednesday. For that size of space, I highly recommend that YOU consider duals!

Cheers,

Phil

1AGOFST

1AGOFST

Audioholic Intern
I just recently ordered a B-stock Hsu ULS-15 MK2 sub myself. Once it ships YOU will get it rather quickly. Like YOU, I knew going in I would NOT ship it back. Besides, B-stock sales are FINAL! So far so good. Have not done a lot of fine tuning just yet, because I have towers coming in Wednesday. For that size of space, I highly recommend that YOU consider duals!

Cheers,

Phil
Since my original sub failed, I needed a replacement that fit my budget so duals weren't an option right now. Went with this one based on reviews and Audioholics sub rating scale. This sub fell into the 5,000 cu ft or more category so I went with it. I do intend to add another down the road after the WAF settles down....LOL.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Both are very good subwoofers and I'm sure you'll be happy with with sub. The Hsu will give you a little more output based on the CEA numbers. However, in a space that big, I doubt either one will be enough for that size space, but hey, you can always add a second :D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Fuzz is right. That is, as soon as YOU can be sure to go duals. I am doing the very same thing. Hope to order my second ULS-15 MK2 sub very soon.

Cheers,

Phil

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have a huge room and had dual SVS Ultra's but sold one a couple of years ago as the difference didn't justify the cost. It was certainly more balanced/blended but a single seemed almost as good as the dual.

1AGOFST

1AGOFST

Audioholic Intern
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will let you all know how it sounds. It has already been shipped (wow that was fast) so hope to have it by Friday. I called HSU and talked to them. They were very happy to help and confirmed my decision was a great choice! Great fols to deal with so far.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will let you all know how it sounds. It has already been shipped (wow that was fast) so hope to have it by Friday. I called HSU and talked to them. They were very happy to help and confirmed my decision was a great choice! Great fols to deal with so far.
You won't really know until you get it into your room and go through the painstaking process of trying to get it set up right. Personally I would have gone with the PB-2000 because SVS 45 day trial period, if you don't like it you can send it back and not have to pay for return shipping.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The VTF3 has a major performance advantage. In this case it is worth the risk, because you are much less likely to want to send it back.

C

ccmclaughlin

Audiophyte
I made a drive up to the Hsu facility in Anaheim last Friday and, after a demo of their different subwoofers and based on their recommendation, made the decision to purchase the VTF3 mk5. My room is smaller than yours, at about 3,000 cu ft, but has a large opening into our stairwell and the entrance to our home. So, it's still a lot of space to pressurize and my options for placing the sub were somewhat limited due to WAF.

The VTF3 does an outstanding job and I am very pleased with my purchase. I looked at and demo'd the PB2000 as well. It's a great subwoofer, but I think the VTF3 is more capable. I am about 50/50 on music and home theater and am very happy with the performance for both applications. The Hsu sub certainly digs deeper than my previous Martin Logan and provides a very visceral experience in my room.

By the way, it is big; but I found it's nicely made and finished and blended into our room well in spite of its size. I was able to haul it upstairs myself and move it around, but it is a handful. Good luck with your purchase. I am sure you'll enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1AGOFST

1AGOFST

Audioholic Intern
I made a drive up to the Hsu facility in Anaheim last Friday and, after a demo of their different subwoofers and based on their recommendation, made the decision to purchase the VTF3 mk5. My room is smaller than yours, at about 3,000 cu ft, but has a large opening into our stairwell and the entrance to our home. So, it's still a lot of space to pressurize and my options for placing the sub were somewhat limited due to WAF.

The VTF3 does an outstanding job and I am very pleased with my purchase. I looked at and demo'd the PB2000 as well. It's a great subwoofer, but I think the VTF3 is more capable. I am about 50/50 on music and home theater and am very happy with the performance for both applications. The Hsu sub certainly digs deeper than my previous Martin Logan and provides a very visceral experience in my room.

By the way, it is big; but I found it's nicely made and finished and blended into our room well in spite of its size. I was able to haul it upstairs myself and move it around, but it is a handful. Good luck with your purchase. I am sure you'll enjoy it.

Finally someone that has heard both subs in person. You sir are a needle in a haystack due to no free shipping from HSU....LOL.
Thanks for the detail....I am getting more and more anxious every day. I have been without a sub for 3 weeks now. Friday can't come quick enough!

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
The VTF3 has a major performance advantage. In this case it is worth the risk, because you are much less likely to want to send it back.
It depends what is considered as performance and then what is the advantage. The cost to own each subwoofer, their size, and the room the subwoofer will go into, must be taken into consideration when one decision is based on performance, however that is defined.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

Yes, it 85 pounds. That's real heavy considering you might have to do some sub crawl in your limited space. That's what I was alluding to in my above post, when enthusiast talk about performance advantages you to take in consideration other factors such as room size. Sometimes those so-called performance advantages are minimal.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
85 lbs is not that bad if you can get a good handle on the sub, especially with two people. If you can fit something like a VTF3 in room, go for it. If you are not an enthusiast before you get one, you will turn into an enthusiast after you have one. It is an amazing subwoofer!

1AGOFST

1AGOFST

Audioholic Intern
85 lbs is not that bad if you can get a good handle on the sub, especially with two people. If you can fit something like a VTF3 in room, go for it. If you are not an enthusiast before you get one, you will turn into an enthusiast after you have one. It is an amazing subwoofer!
I really only have 2 placement option, one of them was luckily the best spot for my last sub, to the left of the ent. center in the corner on the closed side of the room. The 2nd spot would require a 50ft cable run through the attic and down the walls next to my couch in the corner, also on the closed side of the room. Hopefully the 1st option is still the best option for this sub.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I really only have 2 placement option, one of them was luckily the best spot for my last sub, to the left of the ent. center in the corner on the closed side of the room. The 2nd spot would require a 50ft cable run through the attic and down the walls next to my couch in the corner, also on the closed side of the room. Hopefully the 1st option is still the best option for this sub.
If you get a hankering for a second sub, try this wireless subwoofer adapter. That will make it easy to place the second sub, and a second sub may get you a smoother frequency response.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
He might have to use a hand truck to move it around to do a sub crawl.

1AGOFST

1AGOFST

Audioholic Intern
Got the sub on Friday and you just can't appreciate the size of this thing until you unboxing it in your living room. I definately got the "WTF, is that really necessary" look from the wife....LOL. After trying a few different locations, I found the best spot. After some fine tuning with the YPAO and then an SPL meter, it was time to test it out. I used the pink noise tracks on the included demo disc. I can honestly say I have never experienced a sub that plays frequencies I can't hear but yet everything on the walls and shelves were shaking like hell. Very eerie to say the least. Movies are absolutely a whole new experience and music has so much more depth. I can't believe I lived with my old sub for so long. Never knew what a great sub could do. Thanks everyone for the feedback! Happy listening!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis