tekton - the next big thing?

D

daxriggs

Enthusiast
if you are 100% happy with them, why do you think anything might be missing?

I have absolutely no desire to change any of my speakers because I think absolutely nothing might be missing. They sound just perfect.

Don't your Pendragon speakers sound perfect?
I said that I am more than happy with them. I don't think that they sound perfect. I never even used that word. Nothing any of us owns is perfect and everything has room for improvement. I joined this site to offer an audition to anyone that is interested, so that they can hear them for themselves and form their own opinion.

I noticed people mentioning the drivers. I don't know a lot about the Eminence driver other than Eminence makes it custom for Tekton. The tweeters are exclusive to the Pendragons and were made by one of the lead designers at Scan-Speak.

Also, I've corresponded with someone who got the Mundorf upgrade and they sent me a picture of the original vs upgraded xover. If anyone wants to see let me know.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
How about reserving judgement until we actually evaluate and measure the thing or until you at least have the chance to hear it for yourself!
Gene's advice about the RBH subwoofer seems like it fits in this thread too. Maybe we should follow his advice and wait till AH reviews these Tektons and some get a chance to actually listening to them before passing such harsh judgement right away.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
I said that I am more than happy with them. I don't think that they sound perfect. I never even used that word. Nothing any of us owns is perfect and everything has room for improvement. I joined this site to offer an audition to anyone that is interested, so that they can hear them for themselves and form their own opinion.

I noticed people mentioning the drivers. I don't know a lot about the Eminence driver other than Eminence makes it custom for Tekton. The tweeters are exclusive to the Pendragons and were made by one of the lead designers at Scan-Speak.

Do you know what was done to the Eminence drivers to make them "custom"? Also, where did you hear that Scan did the tweeter?

Also, I've corresponded with someone who got the Mundorf upgrade and they sent me a picture of the original vs upgraded xover. If anyone wants to see let me know.
Sure, post it up!

whasaaaab

whasaaaab

Junior Audioholic

we want to see :D

whasaaaab

whasaaaab

Junior Audioholic
You're welcome.

I'm afraid getting useful info about these speakers is like pulling teeth from a dragon. You may think getting teeth from the dragon would be difficult, but the really hard part is finding a dragon.
No, do not waste any money on bi wire connections or silver/oil capacitors. I cannot emphasize this enough.

Just the price of $750 extra for the capacitors should set off alarm bells inside your head. $750 is 30% of the standard cost of $2500. No tweak, and certainly no capacitor, is worth that much.

Claiming that these speakers sound wonderful without any evidence other than glowing testimony, and following that with an offer to make them even more wonderful sounding by spending 30% more should also be scaring you.

If all that didn't warn you off, the claim that these very expensive capacitors only start sounding good after 100 to 300 hours break in should make you run for the door. If these speakers come with a 30-day money back policy, you're going to have to work hard to accumulate 100 to 300 hours break in before those 30 days are up.

For $2500 a pair, there are many other good choices of speakers available.
What is wrong with bi-wired connectiosn? my current system is bi-wired i like the sound you get from bi-wired speakers over the typical 2 banana/spade end connection.

he next speaker i want i would prefer bi-wired, that said i read lots of threads and audio tips etc... they all said speakers that are biwred you get a better sound because itt separates everything I cannot remeber all the mumbo jumbo stuff.

How are you speakers connected

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
What is wrong with bi-wired connectiosn? my current system is bi-wired i like the sound you get from bi-wired speakers over the typical 2 banana/spade end connection.

he next speaker i want i would prefer bi-wired, that said i read lots of threads and audio tips etc... they all said speakers that are biwred you get a better sound because itt separates everything I cannot remeber all the mumbo jumbo stuff.

How are you speakers connected
There is nothing wrong with bi-amping, it just makes no difference. It is just a very long jumper cable.

No I never bi-wire passive crossovers. Its a waste of good wire and resources..

However to answer your question, my speakers in the studio, except the surrounds, have multiple input boxes, because of active crossovers and the need for multiple power amps, fourteen in all.

My system downstairs, uses passive crossovers and there is one twin pair cable per speaker. I hope that answers your question.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Do us a favor. Have a friend come over, and switch between bi wired and not bi wired five-six times while you're out of the room. Bring a notebook, Put a blind fold on and then have your friend switch 100 times between bi-wired and not biwired without you knowing which is which.

Then tell us what you wrote on your notebook.

I think you've been reading the wrong websites.

We here at audioholics are interested in sound quality. Not nonsense. There is a LOT of nonsense about audio out there. The keyword is "Belief". People "Believe" these things make a difference, even if empirical evidence suggest otherwise. So long as someone believes, or is made to believe these things, people will imagine many differences, normally correlated with cost.

Now i'm not saying capacitors can't possibly have issues - they are known to be slightly microphonic for example. But these slight measurable issues are not evidence of audibility.

Even if capacitor A were 1% more audible than the "superior" Capacitor B, it would simply NOT justify the price of the upgrade, because at the end of the day there are world class speakers using "inexpensive" parts and there are totally crap speakers using "boutique" parts.

Our advice is to be skeptical of anything but a level matched blind testing protocol. Humans have bias - it's proven time and time again.

Last edited:
whasaaaab

whasaaaab

Junior Audioholic
The 3rd reviewer from audiogon about the upgrade capacitors

1st quote Zu just came out with the option to upgrade the Defs further with the Nano drivers from the Dominance and Definition line. I am going to give that a try after I decide whether to keep the stock Defs or the Pendragons. I just received upgraded xovers from Eric at Tekton and installed one to compare to the stock. Quite a nice improvement, and well worth the price. Once I install the other one and let them burn in, I'll take another comparison. The upgrades definitely pulled the Pendragons closer to the stock Zus magic in the mids, and also provides more clarity and air in the highs than the stock Tektons xover.

2nd quote I did get the upgraded crossovers for the Pendragons and have just passed the 300 hour mark on them. A very worthwhile upgrade. I initially upgraded one speaker so I could compare with the stock version. The upgraded one was much more defined in the top end, airier, and overall gives a cleaner view of the music. It definitely improves the vocal presentation and brings more emotion to the music.

3rd quote Now, to compare the upgraded Omen Defs to the upgraded Pendragons . . .

we will see whast his new review will be.

AudiogoN Forums: Zu Omen Defs vs Tekton Pendragons

whasaaaab

whasaaaab

Junior Audioholic
Do us a favor. Have a friend come over, and switch between bi wired and not bi wired five-six times while you're out of the room. Bring a notebook, Put a blind fold on and then have your friend switch 100 times between bi-wired and not biwired without you knowing which is which.

Then tell us what you wrote on your notebook.

I think you've been reading the wrong websites.

We here at audioholics are interested in sound quality. Not nonsense. There is a LOT of nonsense about audio out there.
Good to know it will save me money on speaker wire, When i purcahsed my speakers the customer service rep from monitor audio also told me i should biwire them the sound is better, so i did.

But good to know i will be saving money on speaker wire :D for my next new mains. You know what really makes the pendragons really appealing to me is the shear size I am looking for large mains like the pendragons but at a reasonable price. I like everything BIG

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, this is not like the B&W Owners thread on AVS where guys believe everything makes a a significant difference - transport, CD player, DAC, amp, preamp, and wires. :eek:

Some believe Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz are crap compared to Arcam, etc. :eek:

I swear, I try to be on that B&W thread ever since I bought the 802D2, but those guys drive me nuts. :eek:

whasaaaab

whasaaaab

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, this is not like the B&W Owners thread on AVS where guys believe everything makes a a significant difference - transport, CD player, DAC, amp, preamp, and wires. :eek:

Some believe Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz are crap compared to Arcam, etc. :eek:

I swear, I try to be on that B&W thread ever since I bought the 802D2, but those guys drive me nuts. :eek:
I love the pioneer sound, once someone buys mine since im selling it, i will buy the new flagship pioelite receiver.

I do listen to a lot of music, and i kjnow my RS8's are lacking especially when i am listening to SACD's (symphonies) or classical the tweeters just cant handle it.

If i can get big main speakers that sound smooth and can handle classical and symphonies my wife will be happy. Intern i can get more audio :D

I am hoping better info comes out on the pendragons, oh i will be calling eric today, i sent him an email about the pendragons and told him he should be on these type of threads like other speaker companies do to answer questions so we cannot speculate about specifications etc.. becaue he wont get more more business that way.

he said to call him to get more information, for shipping, upgrade options apprently there is more (drivers) and possibly something better just around the corner.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
You can't even really hear anything above 18kHz~, so why would you want something that is replicating 30kHz to 90kHz?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You can't even really hear anything above 18kHz~, so why would you want something that is replicating 30kHz to 90kHz?
I can hear 16kHz, barely. :D

My 10 yr old daughter can hear 20kHz.

But, hey, the diamond and beryllium tweeters can play to 100kHz. :eek:

I think some audiophiles call that "headroom". :D

R ------------ I -------------- G ----------------- H ---------------- T. :D

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, adding a supertweeter producing frequencies above 30 kHz sounds like a perfect way to fix a given loudspeaker's midrange deficiencies.

whasaaaab

whasaaaab

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, adding a supertweeter producing frequencies above 30 kHz sounds like a perfect way to fix a given loudspeaker's midrange deficiencies.
Thats what i was thinking wondering if that would help the pendragons but then again if a speaker is that good no modifcations should be necessary.

Just looking at other options to improve what the pendrsgons could be lacking hmmmm, highs were good the lows were good just the mid section is what we have read laid back needs more detail.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I can hear 16kHz, barely. :D

My 10 yr old daughter can hear 20kHz.

But, hey, the diamond and beryllium tweeters can play to 100kHz. :eek:

I think some audiophiles call that "headroom". :D

R ------------ I -------------- G ----------------- H ---------------- T. :D
I can hear about 18K or so on the WinISD signal generator with my $30 computer speakers. Wildly scientific I know :).

The best part of the Townshend super tweeter:

The Maximum Supertweeters enhance the bass, mid and treble.

WHAT? :eek: :rolleyes:

You could have saved a ton of money that you spent on your Funk 18.0's if you just got some bass enhancing super tweeters instead!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis