Technics turntable SL-220

U

Unregistered

I have this turntable and have it connected to my JVC Compact Component System model #CA-D55T. I am having a problem with getting sufficient volume. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I am looking for an owners manual for my turntable (Technics SL-220).

M

MrKlister

Junior Audioholic
A turntable must be connected to an input that is dedicated for phono use. It can't be connected to a normal input for two reasons. The first is the problem you are having. Due to the low output of a phono cartridge, the phono input has a higher gain than a normal input. The second reason is that the recording has to go through RIAA equalization. When a recording is going to be used to cut vinyl, the recording gets re-equalized to boost high frequencies and cut bass. The boosting of the treble is done to make sure that the groove cut in the vinyl is big enough. The cutting of the bass is done to prevent a huge bass signal cutting into an adjacent groove. So when you play back an LP you need to boost the bass and cut the treble to hear the recording as it should be.

Fortunately in this day and age, you can purchase an extenal phono stage that will let you use a normal input for a turntable. The start at a little under $100US and of course get crazy. I found a site with some cheaper ones: http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?phonpre.htm and some more here: http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/c.ACCT106601/sc.2/category.401/.f

I can vouch for the Sumiko, it works great.

U

Unregistered

MrKlister is right. Your JVC Compact probably only has a set of audio in jacks that would not be dedicated to a phonograph. While the external phono stage works, you might want to consider upgrading your equipment instead of that assessory. Receiver/Amplifiers with phono inputs are not so easy to find any more. I have seen some low end at Radio Shack but you also need to make sure that the phono inputs are accompanied by a ground. Some turntables don't have them but the SL-220 does have a ground wire that connects onto the receiver adjacent to the phono in jacks. There are many High end receivers that still have phono inputs too, I have a Denon that is loaded. I also believe I still have my owners manual on the SL-220. Iif you are still looking for one I might be persuaded to sell it. Contact me at m.cgoodman@juno.com

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis