Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I would PM one of the turntable guys...
I was hoping that they would just come around.

This evening I am picking up a Pioneer SX-650 rec'r so that should take care of that. It comes with some Pioneer HPM-100 speakers and a Symphonic 5 CD changer ... all for $50. I know what you're thinking but the woman was emphatic about everything working. She won't let her husband set it up because of their baby blah blah blah. I found a service manual for the rec'r and am thinking about replacing some of the capacitors. I found some stuff on line about re-doing the crossovers on those speakers. Now that I have embraced the soldering iron, I am fearless. :)

This afternoon I am going to see an old guy about albums. He sounded very mistrustful because I have a Boston area code. After I told him that I live in Pawtucket he warmed up considerably. I think I'm going to enjoy meeting this relic. :D

I think the only thing left for me to do is find a good needle/stylus/cartridge.
Once again, I don't know anything so help is appreciated. :)

Goofy after thought: What kind of power cord and cables sound best with records? :confused:

HAHAHA :D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I was hoping that they would just come around.

This evening I am picking up a Pioneer SX-650 rec'r so that should take care of that. It comes with some Pioneer HPM-100 speakers and a Symphonic 5 CD changer ... all for $50. I know what you're thinking but the woman was emphatic about everything working. She won't let her husband set it up because of their baby blah blah blah. I found a service manual for the rec'r and am thinking about replacing some of the capacitors. I found some stuff on line about re-doing the crossovers on those speakers. Now that I have embraced the soldering iron, I am fearless. :)

This afternoon I am going to see an old guy about albums. He sounded very mistrustful because I have a Boston area code. After I told him that I live in Pawtucket he warmed up considerably. I think I'm going to enjoy meeting this relic. :D

I think the only thing left for me to do is find a good needle/stylus/cartridge.
Once again, I don't know anything so help is appreciated. :)

Goofy after thought: What kind of power cord and cables sound best with records? :confused:

HAHAHA :D
That's a good deal!:cool:

I bought a Pioneer SX-838 at a thrift store for $35 about a year ago. It was there and I had to have it. When (if:)) I redo the garage I want to do a vintage system in there. I have various componetes from the '70's-'80's I could use.:cool:

Oh yeah, be nice to the old guy.:eek::D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
be nice to the old guy
You should have sent a message to the old guy to be nice to me. On a $61 album deal I got him down to $60. He probably still has the first nickle he ever made. :rolleyes:

This pic should tell the tale.

Oh yeah, ... KC ... in the house! :)
Actually the first album to get played was the one I cared least about. ;)
It sounded really good! The next album to get thrown on was some K-tel deal that didn't sound so good but it was still cool. Who else do you talk to that has listened to The Night Chicago Died in this millennium? I am also the proud owner af a mono recording of Day-Oh (Banana Boat Song). :) Oh yeah, the turntable didn't like being on the table with the speakers. I put it on a chair for now.

Enough bubble gum discussion. The old guy's collection included classical and opera as well. I was a little concerned about maybe doing the records harm but he used to play them on a real POS stacking job that the speakers plugged right into. :rolleyes: Peasant!

So it works! I just listened to a bit of Madama Butterfly with a 1955 copyright on the booklet that came in the box and I mean box. There are three albums in this thing. Right now I am listening to a similar recording of La Boheme . I was going to play this treasury of waltzes but decided to go with some bull fighting music. Now I know why TLS dresses like a matador.

The bottom line is that it does crackle and pop (except for KC:confused::D).
But where else would I get this assortment of music for ~$2/recording?

A funny side note: There was snake oil back then too. This sleeve has this written on it but in a circular pattern and bold red lettering :):

AUDIO FIDELITY
A STUDY IN HI FIDELITY SOUND

and on the inside of that ring it says:

for those who can
HEAR the difference !!!

vizionut

vizionut

Audioholic General
Thats very cool alex, even though you and i have different taste in music i have to say I am impressed:cool: That receiver brings back memories of the 70's:cool: Thanks for the updates.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That's not a representation of my tastes ... yet. I figure that there is a whole world full of music and I want to try it out. My g/f already called the rec'r a dinosaur. I'm going to get more records. :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I have upgraditis.

Please remember that the whole turntable cost $20. I don't want to spend $2,000 on an upgrade. :D

Any suggestions?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh man!! Tell me I just did NOT see KC and the Sunshine Band in that picture!! :p Oh Alex!! How could you? :D

Sorry I could not pop in earlier. Works been keping me crazy busy.

So I take it you bought teh Techncis already?? If you like it and you feel/hear that its not damaging your records, party on. There are many places selling turntables again which is nice to see.

I did answer your PM but I'm afraid I wasn't much help. Let me know how its going.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
KC? That's nothing !!! :D
Whoa, whoa, whoa ... she's a lady! :eek:

My g/f loved it and it was only $2. How do you beat that? :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

My g/f loved it and it was only $2. How do you beat that? :)
*LOL* But he can sing blues really well. I saw this on the Martin Scorcese special "The Blues" He was singing while Jeff Beck, Keith Richards, and few others I forgot the names of played and Tom was awesome. ;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I did some looking and found this:

"A Nice Surprise For Stanton L847S Owners:

The Stanton L847S Moving Magnet P-Mount/Standard Mount Cartridge is yet another form of the Pickering XSV-3000/Stanton 881 Mk IIS. The difference here is that the L847S does not sport a built-in dustbrush but yet uses the very same white stereohedron stylus assembly as the 881S. If using this cart as a standard mount type in your turntable...simply add an extra 1 gram to the tracking force and anti-skating compensation when opting to use the D81S replacement stylus from Stanton with the brush in place. You can also opt to remove the dustbrush and you will windup with what you originally owned! I know because I used to have a couple of these carts also.

For those of you that own linear tracking P-Mount turntables...you can either opt to leave the brush attached to the cart as the extra weight will be offset by the brush pushing upward by one gram or remove it by gently twisting the assembly in an upward motion and pulling it away from its slotted housing. Be careful! Since linear tracking tonearms require no anti-skating compensation like pivoting arms do...there is no need to concern yourself with adjustment.

Remember...the D81S stylus assembly is white. Do not use the clear "S" assemblies that came with Stanton L837S and 100S carts...they are unfortunately very much warmer sounding and quite inferior in this reviewer's opinion. I believe these carts were induced magnet types and aren't compatible anyway. Regardless...they just don't even approach the accuracy of the XSV-3000, 881S or L847S carts or the D81-IIS stylus. "

I think I'm all set for the moment.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I will go on the record as saying Alex is going off the deep end. Maybe I should send the record when I'm done with it. :p

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks good on ya Alex

I forgot to congradulate you into diving head first into the vinyl adventure. I think you'll come away suitably impressed and surprised at just how good vinyl can sound. Spin and grin buddy!! Spin and grin. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I forgot to congradulate you into diving head first into the vinyl adventure. I think you'll come away suitably impressed and surprised at just how good vinyl can sound. Spin and grin buddy!! Spin and grin. :D
Thanks, I appreciate that. This one guy's collection really makes it worth the effort. Now the challenge is to get it off of the dinning table. I kind of have to slam it together in the spare room in a less than ideal placement but at this point I don't even care. Here's kind of what it looks like.

Notice how the wires aren't visible? That's because it isn't hooked up yet. :D
Right now I have the rec'r apart to lube the potentiometers (?) ... knobs and to clean it up. That's the entire record collection for $150. Don't tell my girl. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I have it up and running. I angled and isolated the speakers and moved a couple of things around. I just wanted to add that I made my own interconnects with RG-6 Quadshield. Not having to buy the wires is very liberating. If I decide that I need a 19'6" pair of interconnects, presto ... :D

I didn't care about wire management because I'm usually really picky about it and I just wanted it to play. Naturally there was a hiss coming out of one speaker. :rolleyes: The wires were cut long on purpose so that I could hook everything up with that telephone table in the middle of the room and push it against the wall when I was done. The wiring is kind of messy so I reached deep into the heart of the bird's nest and yanked like I was firing up a lawn mower. :eek:

Problem solved. :)

That potentiometer spray from RS worked like a charm and the douching I gave the rec'r has it looking all nice nice. I need for tcarcio to sell me something else that I want and deliver it just so that I can gloat. :cool:

On to the moral of the story. I had me some fun getting this to happen: here on the forum and out chasing deals. This is all low dollar stuff so it's kind of interesting to see people in their worlds/lives/homes. That's almost worth the price of admission ... almost. ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
So what's the verdict? Do ya like teh sound of vinyl despite its inherent flaws? :D I love the sound and the involvment of having to take care/prepping a record before each play. And now that my glasses don't quite work right anymore, I appreciate the larger print assicoated with record sleeves. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
So what's the verdict?
The verdict is that I am enjoying this.

Buying a 70 year old man's (100+ album) record collection for $150 is the best part. The most recent handful of records are from the '70's but I also have recordings of Benny Goodman from '37 and '38. My parents are not from here so I never heard this music played except for snipets in movies. I am also finding out that many of these recordings that I have are going for $10 a piece on eBay and mine truly are pristine. The only thing saving them is that I don't know how to sell stuff ... yet ... that and I'm aware that I may one day really enjoy Hawaiian music. :rolleyes: :D

The bottom line for me is that being able to enjoy music is a gift. :)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Buying a 70 year old man's (100+ album) record collection for $150 is the best part. The most recent handful of records are from the '70's but I also have recordings of Benny Goodman from '37 and '38. My parents are not from here so I never heard this music played except for snipets in movies. I am also finding out that many of these recordings that I have are going for $10 a piece on eBay and mine truly are pristine. The only thing saving them is that I don't know how to sell stuff ... yet ... that and I'm aware that I may one day really enjoy Hawaiian music. :rolleyes: :D

You should keep and care for them. I know I would. I loved records. They have the best album art and sound nice. When I was a kid that's what we listened to. Now we are doing away with CDs even.

I like the physical media. I'm sad to see us lose them. :(

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Alex

Before you give away your collection fleece-bay, take a look at this site. It shoul dgive you an idea what your albums are really worth.

http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/index.php

and here;

http://www.musicstack.com/

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

Tom Jones! My mother has seen him live countless times, she loves Tom Jones.

Sounds like you're enjoying the whole experience. Having fun, that's what it's all about.
It looks like they are in great shape too.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Alex,

Picked up the "Best Of Bread" for a paltry $2.00 and I played side one yesterday. The record looked kinda rough but it plained very cleanly. Another one into my collection. :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis