Technics Integrated Steampunk Mod

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Work in progress. Posting a couple pics at a request from one of the ER18 forums. Sorry for the thumbnails, I will figure out how to work the photobucket or something similar soon.

One thing I like is that it has a phono stage. I have an old Numark TT that I may steampunk mod one day too, so it can match.

Attachments

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Progress. Not quite as far along as I made it look, put a few of the parts in to get a good mock-up of how it will look.

Attachments

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
More progress. Tonight I finally got to hook up a source and speakers and power it up. It works!

I'm not happy with the power switch. It is on a board with a fuse and 3 connectors to the transformer. In the original chasis, it had some plastic ears to keep it in place. In my mod, it doesn't have that so I have to come up with some way to secure it down or put in a new switch entirely.

A couple other loose ends to tie down inside and attach permanently and I need to figure out how I want to do the back panel. And probably some useless embellishments to spruce it up, steampunk style.

At least I know it fired up on the first try, so I'm fairly excited. When I get it going, I will pair it with some Def Tech SM350s for a while and it should make a decent little bedroom system.

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
You're trouble! This gives me some ideas for a speaker build. The next pair is going to be some bookshelf speakers for my HT. Would be really cool to integrate some steampunk art into the cabinet design. I love it :cool:

Keep the progress reports coming.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You're trouble! This gives me some ideas for a speaker build. The next pair is going to be some bookshelf speakers for my HT. Would be really cool to integrate some steampunk art into the cabinet design. I love it :cool:

Keep the progress reports coming.
I've also got an old Numark TT, I'm thinking I may do into a steampunk mod, make it look like an old phonograph. Of course, some matching speakers somewhere along the way.

And this old Technics doesn't sound bad at all. I remember when it was new when my sister was dating her now-husband. I suppose that was the first taste of a decent component stereo for me.

The black square in the middle on this mod, that's the Volt meter lights.

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
That's really cool. I have an old Fischer amp/preamp that I'd love to do something like that w/, but it would be tough cuz its digital (probably their first digital amp). It's kind of a turd, so it might be a good practice piece. Thanks for the inspiration :)

This is pretty cool- Steampunk system

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
That's really cool. I have an old Fischer amp/preamp that I'd love to do something like that w/, but it would be tough cuz its digital (probably their first digital amp). It's kind of a turd, so it might be a good practice piece. Thanks for the inspiration :)

This is pretty cool- Steampunk system
Cool. I think I've seen that amp or one similar, but not the full system. Dang, copper clad, must be a pretty penny (pun intended :)) We used to have a brewpub here called the Copper Tank, it kinda reminds me of the aesthetic in that place.

Speaking of brewing, I am a homebrewer, and my bro-in-law is an over-the-top homebrewer. He has aged some of his brews in some 5gallon burbon or whiskey barrels. You can only use those a finite number of times for aging, and I have 1 that he can't use anymore. It will be a long time before I can get around to this, but I was really thinking about using 2 of the used barrels to build speakers, and a 3rd for a subwoofer. Finish them off real nice and polish up the metals bands, and that would be the perfect system for a home bar! It would be 1 of a kind, and really add a classy touch to your bar, friends would be uber-jealous of that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis