Teac Reference Series

S

SonicHighways

Audiophyte
When adjusting the bias after leaving on for an hour,does the volume need to be down ?no music input? as it seems to affect voltage..
Glad i found this site,hoping to save my ah-500 amp

M

mr.steevo

Audiophyte
The h500 is better suited for music with more dynamics, orchestral, jazz, and other well recorded/mastered tracks. If Rock is what you listen to the H550 might be a better choice.
Hi there. I've been lurking this thread for years as I have the A-H500 amp, the cassette deck, CD player and tuner which I bought new in 1997. Seth, I really appreciate the informal leadership you've shown with this thread as these Reference pieces really are special. I can't count how many times I have had audio snobs fawn over my system.

What I am wondering is does anyone know how to bridge two A-H500's? Is this possible?

Also, is there a tutorial on how to recap these amps?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
What I am wondering is does anyone know how to bridge two A-H500's? Is this possible?
I had looked into this some time ago. I don't recall my exact findings, whether they were inconclusive or if bridging them was not possible. I've often wondered why they never thought to offer a preamplifier and separate stereo or monaural amplifiers. If they ever hearken back to the champagne finish nostalgia I'd be one of the first in line to get some new mini separates.

Toshiba/Aurex did something like that back in the 70's

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Did TEAC make any made in Japan DACs which would look good with this system ? I want to avoid their latest Chinese made gear.
The only pieces of equipment that could be used as a DAC would be the RW-H300 and the MD-H300 in the 300 series. The 500 series also has a CD recorder and MD recorder (RW-H500 & MD-H500 respectively). I don't know that the DACs in these units would be an improvement over your MAC, I would say most likely not due to their age alone.

I've heard about the TEAC D700 - how's this like? Or the Esoteric D70. - but hear are most likely well over my budget - any ideas for a Japanese made (or Taiwan/Korea) TEAC DAC which would be an improvement over that in my iMac (2015 Retina) ?
Yeah, those will most likely come in over budget compared to the Reference series. Essentially the D700 is Esoteric quality. TEAC introduced Esoteric in the 90's as their premier audio brand. Basically anything that uses their VRDS transport can be viewed in line with Esoteric of that time.

Also what does the CD Direct mode do?[/QUOTE]

CD direct mode bypasses tonal controls and improves the signal to noise ratio by 1 or 2 decibels. It's not really significant in my opinion.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
New to Teac and this thread, excitedly waiting for my set to be delivered:

A-H500i amp
PD H503 3-CD player
T H500 tuner

The set is missing a remote though, and I was wondering which Teac remotes would work with it.
I understand RC 613 is the standard remote, but does it work with the CD changer too? Is RC 711 compatible too?
I don't recall the model numbers of the remotes and in truth I don't own most of my reference equipment any longer. Every once in a while I'll see the remotes that mate with these systems pop up on eBay.

H

Harmonica

Enthusiast
Yeah, those will most likely come in over budget compared to the Reference series. Essentially the D700 is Esoteric quality. TEAC introduced Esoteric in the 90's as their premier audio brand. Basically anything that uses their VRDS transport can be viewed in line with Esoteric of that time.
Hello Seth,
I have Teac VRDS 9 cd-player...2. from top (right side). As we can see it looks very similar as normal Reference series did, but it's ''heavy'' piece of component for being such a small cd player. I picked it up (as second hand) some 6 - 7 years ago. Any idea has it been more expensive as new compare Reference serie cd-players? Anyway it really sounds nice....defenetly a keeper.
Mini Teacs-2.JPG

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The VRDS-9 isn't likely to compare to any of the Reference CD players of that era. Recently (within the last 5 years) they released the PD-H600 which unfortunately is now discontinued. The PD-H501HR is still in production and supports DSD but somehow not SACD?!?

I've not had the pleasure of listening to any of those three players so I wouldn't even guess as to how they compare sonically. Overall the VRDS-9 probably has the heftiest build quality.

As to the cost difference, I haven't the foggiest clue. I'd imagine it would have easily broken $1000 new. The best stable mate for it would be the famed A-H500 integrated amplifier.

J

Juice Stand

Audiophyte
Hey all, new to the forum here and a new TEAC 300 series owner. I love the look and sound so far, paired with KEF Q15 speakers that were "thrown in" through a Craigslist sale. My question is, I'm having the darndest time getting the remote to do anything, either with the amp, cd player, or tuner. Fresh batteries haven't helped, any ideas?

M

mr.steevo

Audiophyte
Hey all, new to the forum here and a new TEAC 300 series owner. I love the look and sound so far, paired with KEF Q15 speakers that were "thrown in" through a Craigslist sale. My question is, I'm having the darndest time getting the remote to do anything, either with the amp, cd player, or tuner. Fresh batteries haven't helped, any ideas?
Did you connect the Remote Control A/B RCA cables to each component?

J

Juice Stand

Audiophyte
Yeah, they're hooked up A out from amp to cd player, and then cd player to tuner. But that should only affect the remote on the components, I can't even get it to react with the amplifier. I'll keep playing with it. The system sounds great and that's all that really matters at this point.

M

mr.steevo

Audiophyte
To be honest I hardly ever used my remote when I bought my 500 series brand-new simply because the remote wasn't that effective. My remote had trouble with distance and with anything over 30° of an angle. You will not be able to access some features without the remote but at the end of the day it's all about the sound quality.

If you have a smart phone with a universal remote capability it would be worth trying that I suppose.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Can you post a picture of the remote control (front and then back with the battery cover removed)?

How much was the entire system?

J

Juice Stand

Audiophyte
Pictures to come, but I can answer that the system was $200. Included 300 series amp, tuner, cd player, remote, and pair of KEF Q15 speakers that I will likely try to deal. I'm really impressed with the sound so far, it is more than enough to crank in my 15'x22' (ish) living room. Mostly listening to jazz and light classic rock stuff (jackson browne, paul simon, etc).

D

dom_b

Audiophyte
Hi, I've just picked up a Teac AG-H350 receiver at a bragain price and I'm pretty pleased with it. The volume control was faulty but I've cleaned up the pot and thats now perfect. The only thing I've noticed now is that the fan doesn't spin up.

Does anyone know if this is temperature controlled or should it be spinning from power up?

Also don't suppose anybody has a PDF of the manual do they? I can only find the service manual for the AG-H350.

Cheers!

Last edited:
D

dom_b

Audiophyte
I'm looking at partnering the AG-H350 amp with a set of Boston Acoustics XS 5.1 SE speakers. The room is small so this is the only type of speaker package that will suit. No room for a set of bookshelves even. They get a good write up in What Hifi. Has anybody partnered them with the Teac AG-H350? They seem a popular package. I don't want anything overly bright sounding.

Much appreciated"

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not sure what triggers the fan on that model. I have an AG-H350 as well. I've actually had two but the other was boxed up, I don't think I ever actually used it. I've never had the fan turn in mine either. My dad borrowed it for a few months and he had problems with it going into protection mode and or making strange noises. I hooked it up at home and never had a problem with it other than the fan not working. Maybe he just got carried away with the volume knob, I don't know.

My other Teac surround receiver, AG-L800 has a fan that comes based on what the output level is set. If it's set at 40 or higher the fan comes on.

I've not hard the Boston setup, I do have experience with their products and still own some. I really enjoy the ones that I have and I've never had a complaint about others I've had, but I cannot compare them to a satellite based system. I'm sure they will be fine with the Teac.

N

Neo_Soul

Enthusiast
I currently have the ag-h550, pd-h750 paired with the my recently acquired klipsch quartets. I am liking the combo so far, plan on upgrading the diaphragms and crossover to robert crites in the near future. Just a little fyi if anyone is interested.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hey again, sorry for the late reply. Here are some pictures of the remote
No biggie. It seems like the remote may just be faulty. That appears to be the correct remote. Where did you get this system? I'm sorry if you already told me this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis