System Recommendations

N

nemac50

Audiophyte
I am currently just beginning my home theater journey, although I have enjoyed mid-quality audio and video for years. I have a cobbled together system of various pieces which provide an enjoyable experience.

As I was looking for information regarding certain upgrades (plasma tv, blu-ray and new receiver) I came upon this great site.

I read with interest the suggested systems and was getting really pumped when I noticed that several of these articles were written a couple of years ago. That seems like a lifetime when there are new products and new technologies coming out practically weekly.

Is there a place on the site where these recommendations are updated with some regularity? If not are there any plans to update soon?

Thanks for your help!

M

murl

Full Audioholic
Welcome, this is a great place to learn. Even though some info may be a bit old, I would say it is still applicable. If you have specific questions about new devices the forum is a great place to ask, or you can search the forums before you do that. If there is anything we can help you with as far as picking a new home theater ask away.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Another good place to look into is the AVS Forums. Just Google the name.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I am currently just beginning my home theater journey, although I have enjoyed mid-quality audio and video for years. I have a cobbled together system of various pieces which provide an enjoyable experience.

As I was looking for information regarding certain upgrades (plasma tv, blu-ray and new receiver) I came upon this great site.

I read with interest the suggested systems and was getting really pumped when I noticed that several of these articles were written a couple of years ago. That seems like a lifetime when there are new products and new technologies coming out practically weekly.

Is there a place on the site where these recommendations are updated with some regularity? If not are there any plans to update soon?

Thanks for your help!
Read threads to get ideas.

Pick your area and go at it. Remember to always ask about a system proposal. Don't want you to miss a deal or get the wrong thing.

N

nemac50

Audiophyte
Sys Recommends

Thanks very much for the replies. I will soon post my existing equipment and see what needs to be updated and what can be integrated as I improve my system.

Is there somewhere that suggests minimum and/or optimum room dimensions and other qualities? I don't want to get my hopes too high if what I have to work with could only happen with major remodeling... I don't think I am up for that.

Thanks again.

nemac50

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Is there somewhere that suggests minimum and/or optimum room dimensions and other qualities? I don't want to get my hopes too high if what I have to work with could only happen with major remodeling... I don't think I am up for that.

Thanks again.

nemac50
Oh, almost all of us here work with compromises inflicted by our living spaces. Not many people get to enjoy a symmetrical room, with length +2x the width, with high ceilings, and plenty of space in all directions.

The center speaker choice and placement are a big issue, IMO.

Having space from boundaries is something to definitely consider, and that goes for both your speakers, and yourself. We've recommended putting sliders on the couch feet in fact, if only for critical listening and/or lights off movie watching, if those would help the listener get off the back wall, for instance.

Don't get too ahead for yourself! :p

N

nemac50

Audiophyte
The room I am considering is about 13X21, but the ceilings are only 7'9". Does that work?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
The room I am considering is about 13X21, but the ceilings are only 7'9". Does that work?
I wouldn't worry about it. At all. Go for lengthwise setup if you can. Any strong reflections in the room can be at least somewhat remedied by acoustical panels.

You can get an idea of how good or bad the room's acoustics are by singing, playing music, clapping, shouting, banging a pot or pan. If you get serious reverberations or ringing, that's not good, and may require more extensive measures as far as taming the room. However, you can just always ignore that stuff too if you can. Remember, only you have to be pleased.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis