switching out tweeters after 3 years

C

chaosrealm93

Audioholic Intern
hey,

ive had my speakers for 3-4 years and they've always been running with the tweeter/woofer combo that came from the factory

im considering replacing the tweeters with factory replacements, would the potential difference in timber between the new tweeters and the old woofers be noticeable (assuming they were timber matched from the factory).

also would the time difference between the new and old parts play a role in which ones failing first down the road?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ask the factory...but if they are selling them as specific replacements for your speakers, they're probably fine. What did you do to destroy the old tweeters? I'm assuming that they've been damaged or something to necessitate their replacement....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
hey,

ive had my speakers for 3-4 years and they've always been running with the tweeter/woofer combo that came from the factory

im considering replacing the tweeters with factory replacements, would the potential difference in timber between the new tweeters and the old woofers be noticeable (assuming they were timber matched from the factory).

also would the time difference between the new and old parts play a role in which ones failing first down the road?
Why?

C

chaosrealm93

Audioholic Intern
Ask the factory...but if they are selling them as specific replacements for your speakers, they're probably fine. What did you do to destroy the old tweeters? I'm assuming that they've been damaged or something to necessitate their replacement....
nah, i didnt destroy them, i did accidentally blast them with an extreme +20db EQ boost in the 3-4k range though. them seem fine after the accident and tone tests seem to confirm, but i dont know if i actually broke them and they're still showing up fine in the tests or what. i think im just replacing them out of paranoia at this point

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think you should just wait and see if they continue to perform fine.

C

chaosrealm93

Audioholic Intern
if i do replace them though, should i worry about the woofers breaking before the tweeter because the tweets are newer?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

if i do replace them though, should i worry about the woofers breaking before the tweeter because the tweets are newer?
No. Your tweeters are. You gat away with it. If you had damaged your tweeters with an accident like that, I can assure you, you would be on no doubt about it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Tweeters are generally more fragile, so if it ain't broke now it ain't broke. Speakers should last many many years unless abused, or perhaps foam surrounds rot, or crossover components fail....

Paul Scarpelli

Paul Scarpelli

Audio Pragmatist
No. Your tweeters are. You gat away with it. If you had damaged your tweeters with an accident like that, I can assure you, you would be on no doubt about it.
Yup, your tweeters would no longer tweet. An open voicecoil makes no sound. Sounds like you got away with one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
As long as they currently sound the way they did before, then replacing them would serve no purpose.

C

chaosrealm93

Audioholic Intern
As long as they currently sound the way they did before, then replacing them would serve no purpose.
well i cant exactly tell if they do LOL

its also because ive read tweeters can "partially blow", as in they can still measure and sound good, but are in fact damaged. like i started off by saying, i dont know how much of this is paranoia, but since they arent a fortune to replace, i wonder if its worth doing

im just hoping to switch them out to something i know will be good

my concern is if the woofers will go before the tweeters some time down the road because theyve had more wear on them or if they'll timber match properly

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja

its also because ive read tweeters can "partially blow", as in they can still measure and sound good, but are in fact damaged. like i started off by saying, i dont know how much of this is paranoia, but since they arent a fortune to replace, i wonder if its worth doing

my concern is if the woofers will go before the tweeters some time down the road because theyve had more wear on them or if they'll timber match properly
I have an old pair of speakers with one tweeter blown. It sounds scratchy/garbled. Rarely do speakers drivers all die at once or even close to each other. The midranges surrounds on those speakers were all toast and I rebuilt them. I have since gotten another life out of them and the woofers still aren't blown.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I agree with everyone that your speakers are fine because you got away with the accidental blast. If the drivers don't cost a lot and you intend to keep them for a long time then just go get pair of replacements now, woofers and all, just for spares. It seems like you will continue to be concerned if you do nothing.

Just curious, what did you blast them with, I mean the kind of signal and amps?

C

chaosrealm93

Audioholic Intern
I agree with everyone that your speakers are fine because you got away with the accidental blast. If the drivers don't cost a lot and you intend to keep them for a long time then just go get pair of replacements now, woofers and all, just for spares. It seems like you will continue to be concerned if you do nothing.

Just curious, what did you blast them with, I mean the kind of signal and amps?
it was track 4 from Garrett vs Paganini. the amp was a Pioneer VSX 520 at 35/80 volume

highfigh

highfigh

my concern is if the woofers will go before the tweeters some time down the road because they've had more wear on them or if they'll timber match properly
If you want to do an easy test- download a frequency generator app on your smart phone and do a frequency sweep at a moderate volume level. I use Tone Generator Ultra and it does tones, musical notes (showing the frequency of what is being produced, as well as producing the note), wave (sine, square and saw tooth) and when using the sweep function, you can set the upper and lower frequency limits, as well as the speed of the sweep. If you hear chirping or anything other than a clean sound, your tweeters should be fine.

If the volume control was at 35/80 when the sound occurred, they should be fine- that's far from the maximum output of the AVR.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Tweeters can "partially" blow, in that the coil may not be 100% destroyed, but as TLS said, you would still know it right away IMO. I don't see a benefit, but it is your choice.

C

chaosrealm93

Audioholic Intern
If you want to do an easy test- download a frequency generator app on your smart phone and do a frequency sweep at a moderate volume level. I use Tone Generator Ultra and it does tones, musical notes (showing the frequency of what is being produced, as well as producing the note), wave (sine, square and saw tooth) and when using the sweep function, you can set the upper and lower frequency limits, as well as the speed of the sweep. If you hear chirping or anything other than a clean sound, your tweeters should be fine.

If the volume control was at 35/80 when the sound occurred, they should be fine- that's far from the maximum output of the AVR.
yeah, but the EQ was boosted +20dB lol

C

chaosrealm93

Audioholic Intern
Tweeters can "partially" blow, in that the coil may not be 100% destroyed, but as TLS said, you would still know it right away IMO. I don't see a benefit, but it is your choice.
what about crossovers? can they "partially" blow as well? is it obvious when looking at it?

i hear measuring components in circuit yields meaningless results

highfigh

highfigh

I have an old pair of speakers with one tweeter blown. It sounds scratchy/garbled. Rarely do speakers drivers all die at once or even close to each other. The midranges surrounds on those speakers were all toast and I rebuilt them. I have since gotten another life out of them and the woofers still aren't blown.
Sure they do, if the amplifier power is low, it's driven to a high level of distortion and left to run for a long time. I have seen three way speakers with a pair of blown tweeters AND mids, but THAT was rare.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis