Swan Diva/AV123/Athena/Boston Acoustics/Polk/Infinty/BIC... HELP

S

shockemags

Junior Audioholic
Ok I have been researching for almost 3 months and finally have a set budget for speakers and created several different packages/options. Many of you have helped me get to where I am but I am to the point where I feel I know what to look for and what I want but I just can't narrow it down so I need some help...again. Please give me your honest opinions and, as always, any feed back is appreciated...

***Preface***
This will be in an apartment. Used for 60% HT/TV/Gaming & 40% Music. My A/V Receiver will be an Onkyo 605.

The Room will look like...

Options
1. The Bank Breaker
Swan Diva 5.1-BC (2 Pair) - $549 per pair/$1098 + $200 Est. Shipping
Swan Diva C3-BC - $329
Total: $1627
It is only a 5.0 system but if they are as good as the look and ppl say I do not mind breaking my budget for quality and adding a sub later.

2. The Good Guys
AV123 X-CS - $139
AV123 X-MTM - R/L Fronts - $449
AV123 X-SLS - R/L Rears - $319
X-Sub - $199
Est. Shipping - $237 Total: $1343
Great Company, Even better owner. Awesome communication. Highly recommended. Great price. 5.1 but not a huge fan of the "boxey" looks.

3. The Feng-Shui
Athena WS-100 - 2 pair - $499.99 per pair/$999.98
Athena WS-60 - Center - $169.99
X-Sub - $199 + $33 Shipping = $232
Total: $1401.97
Very cool looking speakers. Good on the Budget. 5.1. But how do they sound?

4. Old School
Boston Acoustics VR3 - R/L Front - $559.94 (Pair)
Boston Acoustics VR2 R/L Rear - $428.65 (Pair)(+ Tax - 10% off)
Boston Acoustics VRC - $216.49
Total: $1437.08
Very old school, quality feel to them. Nice to be able to go hear them at CC and if necessary return them. 5.1. Good on budget but can they compete with the internet speaker companies?

5. The Fail-Safe
Polk Monitor 70 - R/L Front - $719.92 (Pair)
Polk Monitor 50 - R/L Rear - $359.92 (Pair)
Polk CSi5 - $280.51 (w/ Shipping)
Total: $1593.10
Name Brand. Nice system. 5.1. A little too expensive for what I feel like I'm getting but if Polk are as good as the name would suggest I'll get them.

6. Captain America
BIC America DV-84 - R/L Front - $354.82 (Pair w/ Shipping)
BIC America DV-64 - R/L Rear - $286.49 (Pair w/ Shipping)
BIC America DV-62CLR - Center - $102
Total: $975.32
Way under budget and I would love to have the money but I do not want to sacrifice quality. I have heard about their subs but how are their speakers? If they are close to the other packages is it worth saving the money?

7. To Infinity & Beyond...?
BETA 50 - R/L Front/Rear - $679.52
C360 - Center - $299.99
Total: $1311.51
Great Reviews. Great Price. 5.1. A little square and bulky but willing to sacrifice appearance for good quality for the money...

8. The Snob
Polk Rti10 - R/L Front - $698.52 (Pair w/ shipping)
Polk RTi8 - R/L Rear - $532.86 (Pair w/ Shipping)
Total: $1511.89
Very tight on the budget. Great reviews... from Polkies. Appear to be a top of the line speaker for a top of the line price. Can I do better for the money?

So that is where I am at right now. Please give any feed back. Yay or nay on brand/packages. Suggestions. Any help is much appreciated.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
shockemags,

Sorry if you've already talked about this in one of your previous posts, but have you had a chance to listen to any of these? If not, I suggest going and listening to speakers. That's the best way to get a feel for what suits you.

If you're looking for an internet purchase, and don't want any risk, I suggest looking into Aperion Audio (I might have suggested them to you before, but I can't remember). They have a 30-day no-risk trial in which they'll pay shipping both ways if you choose to return anything. AV123 does that with their bookshelf speakers, too. Both seem like great brands. One thing going for Aperion...their speakers are in stock (compared to the x-series). You can also take Crutchfield up on their free return shipping offer if you want to check out some Polks or any other brand that they carry.

Adam

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
1. The Bank Breaker
Swan Diva 5.1-BC (2 Pair) - $549 per pair/$1098 + $200 Est. Shipping
Swan Diva C3-BC - $329
It is only a 5.0 system but if they are as good as the look and ppl say I do not mind breaking my budget for quality and adding a sub later.
Never heard the Swans so can't comment on that. They look really nice. People seem to like them, they get a lot or good reviews. If I was purchasing a HT system I might go for this system just because of all I've read. And with the 5.1-BC's on sale it seems like a deal.
I wouldn't worry about not having a sub, you can add it later. I went without a sub for almost a year with my system. And when I finally added it into my system it gave new life, and excitement to it.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
2. The Good Guys
AV123 X-CS - $139
AV123 X-MTM - R/L Fronts - $449
AV123 X-SLS - R/L Rears - $319
X-Sub - $199
Est. Shipping - $237 Total: $1343
Great Company, Even better owner. Awesome communication. Highly recommended. Great price. 5.1 but not a huge fan of the "boxey" looks.
Great system. Excellent value. Excellent customer service. I recommend everything except the subwoofer. Kick the sub and get a better one. :D

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
3. The Feng-Shui
Athena WS-100 - 2 pair - $499.99 per pair/$999.98
Athena WS-60 - Center - $169.99
Total: $1401.97
Very cool looking speakers. Good on the Budget. 5.1. But how do they sound?
I am not a fan of the Athena sound. Their build construction is nothing like the AV123's. If this was me I wouldn't even consider them. :eek:

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
4. Old School
Boston Acoustics VR3 - R/L Front - $559.94 (Pair)
Boston Acoustics VR2 R/L Rear - $428.65 (Pair)(+ Tax - 10% off)
Boston Acoustics VRC - $216.49
Total: $1437.08
Very old school, quality feel to them. Nice to be able to go hear them at CC and if necessary return them. 5.1. Good on budget but can they compete with the internet speaker companies?
Never heard them. They get a lot of recommendations from forum members. I think I would make a trip to CC to audition them myself. Having spent some time with the x-series speakers I would think they would be hard to beat. But like I said I have never heard these Bostons.

Again kick the x-sub. JMO

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
5. The Fail-Safe
Polk Monitor 70 - R/L Front - $719.92 (Pair)
Polk Monitor 50 - R/L Rear - $359.92 (Pair)
Total: $1593.10
Name Brand. Nice system. 5.1. A little too expensive for what I feel like I'm getting but if Polk are as good as the name would suggest I'll get them.
I wouldn't recommend this system when your comparing others like the AV123's and Swans. And I wouldn't spend that kind of money on them.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
6. Captain America
BIC America DV-84 - R/L Front - $354.82 (Pair w/ Shipping)
BIC America DV-64 - R/L Rear - $286.49 (Pair w/ Shipping)
BIC America DV-62CLR - Center - $102
Total: $975.32
Way under budget and I would love to have the money but I do not want to sacrifice quality. I have heard about their subs but how are their speakers? If they are close to the other packages is it worth saving the money?
Forum members do recommend BIC when people are on a budget. I have never heard them. Don't think I will ever. :eek:

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
7. To Infinity & Beyond...?
BETA 50 - R/L Front/Rear - $679.52
C360 - Center - $299.99
Total: $1311.51
Great Reviews. Great Price. 5.1. A little square and bulky but willing to sacrifice appearance for good quality for the money...
Again I have never heard the Infinity's. I have heard other Infinity speakers and thought they sounded good. But that was before I got into this hobby like I am today. Can't comment if I would like what I would hear today vs. then after hearing so many other speakers since becoming really interested in this hobby.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
8. The Snob
Polk Rti10 - R/L Front - $698.52 (Pair w/ shipping)
Polk RTi8 - R/L Rear - $532.86 (Pair w/ Shipping)
Very tight on the budget. Great reviews... from Polkies. Appear to be a top of the line speaker for a top of the line price. Can I do better for the money?
Excellent speakers. Great sound. This would make a really great system.

BUT, I purchased my LSi9 7.1 system for about the same money. :D Infact they where less.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
If this was me. I would narrow my choices down to the Swan's, AV123's, and the Polk RTi's. Whatever you do, don't go for the X-sub. Wait if you have to, and spend for a better sub. :D

Again the above posts are JMO. :D

jinjuku

jinjuku

Tough part is that you cannot with ease demo all this stuff. Sooo, with that being said:

I would look at the AV123. The one thing I would change is the sub.

Parts Express still has their 12" sub on sale for $148 SHIPPED. I haven't heard either, but I would put my money on the PE sub blowing the AV123 sub out of the water. It's going to save you ~$80. That $80 is an upgrade in a receiver or a center channel...etc.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Another way to 'maybe' go: Madisound kits.

1st off I don't know if you have heard of madisound or not. They sell DIY kits that will most likely take you an afternoon to put together.

Some highlights are: They use tested, tried and true designs. The drivers are going to be of a higher quality than what you are going to be getting in the others you mentioned.

An example:

The Audax 5.0 will run you $1240 plus some shipping add the PE Sub-120 for $148 and you are still in budget.

*Note: You have to have some command of a soldering iron to put these kits together. So while this kit would be a cinch for me, YMMV.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
If I were you I'd put serious consideration in to the Swans because they are nicely made and nice looking and because I've been dying to hear some of their speakers.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I too would go with the swans.

I want someone to get them and tell me how they sound incase I want to put some in the bedroom plus I think Swan is a cool name...

Seriously; if you havent listened to any of these get the ones that are the easiest to return...AV123 would be my pick.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I can only comment on the Boston's as I have the VR 2's. I love mine. The only thing I would say is don't bother going with the VR 3's for the fronts. I believe the only difference between the 2's and the 3's is that the 3's play a little deeper. But in a home theater, you probably won't be crossing your system over below 60hz or so, so what's the point?

The Swans are definitely a beautiful looking speaker. If you go with those, be sure to let us know how it works out. I'm dying to know how they sound.

S

shockemags

Junior Audioholic
Thanks everyone. I am going to remove the Athena, Boston Acoustics, Polk Monitor's, Infinty, & BIC America Packages from my list. Making my short list...

Swan Diva 5.1BC - (2 Pair) - R/L Front/Rear - $1098 + Shipping ($200 - EST)
Swan Diva C3 BC - Center - $329

X-CS - Center - $139
X-MTM - R/L Front - $449
X-SLS - R/L Rear - $319
X-Sub - $199
Shipping - $237 Total: $1343

Polk RTi10 - R/L Front - $698.52
Polk RTi8 - R/L Rear - $532.86
Polk CSi5 - Center - $280.51

Any input will help me very much...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Ya, come on buy the Swans so we can hear your thoughts and review.
I agree with everyone else here about this! :D I'd like to hear someone's impression of those. They sure are nice looking.

From what I've read, I don't think that you could go wrong with the X-series speakers, either (assuming that you can actually get your hands on some). The Polks get good reviews, too - I'm just not a fan of Polks.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I think Polks are one of those "safe" options. Even a lot of their cheap speakers, while unrefined and lacking in dynamics, won't do much to offend anyone IMO.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis