SVS SB-4000 vs JL Audio e112

T

Tomasrmon

Audiophyte
Nobody will defend that statement because it's ridiculous and can't be proven. The sales person is trying to sell you the more expensive item. The SVS SB3000 and SB4000 are no slouches if those are what you're looking at. Like said elsewhere in this post, if you can get two SVS's for the price of one JL, you'll be much better off.
Thanks NINaudio!

Yes, that’s what I’ve come to realise from the fair amount of forums I visited already. Which is good news actually, on product cost at least.

I’ve been wanting to go for dual but unfortunately I don’t think I have placement on my living room for the second. I do have space for a large one though. It is a big living room which is not ideal for pressurisation (4800 cu feet), but because of the noise constraints of living in a building I’m not looking for massive bass on HT. Just the fair amount to enjoy a nice bass line and some depth to most music.

Probably I’ll go with the SB-3000 (which I hope it’ll be enough as a single) with the option to go dual if I find the placement.

Last edited:
T

Tomasrmon

Audiophyte
What the heck is "stopping power"?
No expert here, but from what I understood it’s basically what the name says. The abbility to stop bass as fast as possible so as to be sharp and articulate. Most important for music I guess.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No expert here, but from what I understood it’s basically what the name says. The abbility to stop bass as fast as possible so as to be sharp and articulate. Most important for music I guess.
So the motor controls the cone, and somehow this has exceptional control compared to what?

T

Tomasrmon

Audiophyte
So the motor controls the cone, and somehow this has exceptional control compared to what?
I really don’t know into details. I read this when comparing the SBs and the PBs. That the PBs would have more roar but because they’re not closed like the SBs, they wouldn’t have so much control (hence the stopping power). Which IMO makes sense as the ported ones will have air escaping the conducts pressurising better but at the cost of not being as controlled.

But then again, no experience here. Just trying to figure out what to buy.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Hi Depechefan!

I have exactly the same questions with the same options on the table as you. You’re probably European too. Thanks for your thread.

My seller is also advising me to go to JL Audio as the sound quality and stopping power are better than the SVS and thus better for audio applications. But from all the forums I searched I never get any other people defending this.

Have you made any decisions?

All the Best
I went with 2 * SB4000. I can't say if they are as good as the PB4000 or the JLs but I am incredibly happy with them. I listen mostly to music - preferably surround concerts - and for that they are perfect to my ears. For movies they provide loud and firm bass. More than enough in my 25m2 room. So I can highly recommend this sub :)

T

Tomasrmon

Audiophyte
I went with 2 * SB4000. I can't say if they are as good as the PB4000 or the JLs but I am incredibly happy with them. I listen mostly to music - preferably surround concerts - and for that they are perfect to my ears. For movies they provide loud and firm bass. More than enough in my 25m2 room. So I can highly recommend this sub :)
That’s perfect! Happy to know they’re doing great thanks for the feedback!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I really don’t know into details. I read this when comparing the SBs and the PBs. That the PBs would have more roar but because they’re not closed like the SBs, they wouldn’t have so much control (hence the stopping power). Which IMO makes sense as the ported ones will have air escaping the conducts pressurising better but at the cost of not being as controlled.

These are all myths around the idea that sealed are better for music and ported are better for home theater that go back a long time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Try the bass myths to start

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Only bass heads attack the finesse and purity of sealed subs.
That’s not true. And besides, ported subs have just as much finesse, just without the rolloff of sealed. Even @tlsguy who is a stickler for bass finesse(as many of us are) will say the only advantage of sealed is size.

G

germay

Audiophyte
From Dr. Hsu. It's educational. There are MANY factors that determine how a sub sounds as compared to the source it's trying to replicate. Transient response (speed) but more importantly, control of the driver and even it's material composition. Not all drivers and motor structures are created equal. It's about a balance for best results.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis