F

flava30

Audioholic Intern
I purchased an SVS SB 12 nsd and was wondering if I need to replace the current 4 rubber foot pads it comes with better ones, spikes or isolation pads for better imaging and the main reason less resonance especially with neighbors.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Subs don't "image" because they are mono. (unless you are running them discrete lol). Being a sealed sub, I don't know that you'll reduce resonance via more isolation. It is worth a shot though. I have owned the Auralex subdude and it worked on my vented sub but made no difference on my sealed.

F

flava30

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, I've read a lot since I've purchased this great entry sub and concluded that the rubber feet it comes with is sufficient for this little sealed sub. So not wasting my money. Thanks for all your responses.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Subs don't "image" because they are mono. (unless you are running them discrete lol). Being a sealed sub, I don't know that you'll reduce resonance via more isolation. It is worth a shot though. I have owned the Auralex subdude and it worked on my vented sub but made no difference on my sealed.
In theory, an isolation pad should be much more effective on sealed subs. The moving mass/ stationary mass ratio is much greater in sealed subs.

F

flava30

Audioholic Intern
Well the sub is already raised off the floor by the included rubber feet so I don't think any more separation even with some dampening material like auralex or a piece of rug would add any less resonance.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well the sub is already raised off the floor by the included rubber feet so I don't think any more separation even with some dampening material like auralex or a piece of rug would add any less resonance.
Foam does decouple more than rubber for stopping vibration transmission.

In theory, an isolation pad should be much more effective on sealed subs. The moving mass/ stationary mass ratio is much greater in sealed subs.
My Empire is an opposed design so it doesn't transmit any vibration from the cabinet, not necessarily due to the fact that it is sealed. Whether or not it will help the SVS depends on the cabinet design and driver of that sub. Worth it for the Auralex pad vs included feet? Probably not.

choombak

choombak

Audioholic Intern
Another cheap alternative to expensive foam pads and isolation feet is the thicker yoga mat. $15 gets you tons of it to cut to size. All my speakers and sub do yoga on a daily basis!

C

Cobratron

Audioholic Intern
I have one SVS pc-13 ultra sub on my first floor and purchased the rubber feet from SVS. It truly helped with noise reduction in my basement. Before the feet it sounded like my basement ceiling/lighting was going to explode. Now it sounds more tolerable. :)

F

flava30

Audioholic Intern
"Another cheap alternative to expensive foam pads and isolation feet is the thicker yoga mat. $15 gets you tons of it to cut to size. All my speakers and sub do yoga on a daily basis!
"

That's a great idea!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis