SVS Prime Center Channel or Ultra?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can do your own Auralex type pads far cheaper with stuff from a hardware store/around the house; IMO some of their claims of audio improvement for their pieces of foam are as silly as audiophool cables....

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I used to think this exact way until I bought one for my center channel and I am a believer now. Really made the speaker sound better, clearer. That's just my opinion though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I used to think this exact way until I bought one for my center channel and I am a believer now. Really made the speaker sound better, clearer. That's just my opinion though.

How was the center positioned/mounted before adding the foam?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
How was the center positioned/mounted before adding the foam?
It was angled up on 6 CDs, very classy. I needed something to angle them up without looking "Sanford and son". I bought it just to angle it up, and not look crappy. What I got was something that made the speaker sound much better. I'm actually pretty impressed at the difference.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It was angled up on 6 CDs, very classy. I needed something to angle them up without looking "Sanford and son". I bought it just to angle it up, and not look crappy. What I got was something that made the speaker sound much better. I'm actually pretty impressed at the difference.

I found more positive than negative on Auralex with a quick search, but I usually defer to HD. He's never led me wrong and I don't have the money for something I can do myself. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Put my 8040HD up for sale! That actually felt pretty good. Got it all spit shined up and looking brand new.

I also borrowed neighbor Bob's little belt sander. I'm gonna get a fine grit belt for it and try to touch up the edges on that stand a little so they at least look somewhat finished. Then I'll stain them black like the mains and I'm good to go! (well, the mount has to go up too).

I haven't ordered the wall mount kit yet, but I'm doing that tonight! I'm gonna go with J's first suggestion and get that articulated one. What's usually involved with putting one of those up? Is it a 2 man job or is it just drilling some screws into the studs? I do imagine I'll need a little help actually mounting the tv. It's not super heavy, but it is very awkward.

I've thought about wall mounting in the past, but never did it. This third Ultra has nudged me to just go for it. I'm getting really stoked for this project!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah it's pretty simple. Definitely hit studs for as many screws as you can. Can probably use toggle bolts for the rest. I have one of our displays in an articulating mount. Works nice. One man job.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah it's pretty simple. Definitely hit studs for as many screws as you can. Can probably use toggle bolts for the rest. I have one of our displays in an articulating mount. Works nice. One man job.
Ordered it from parts express last night. Gonna head to the depot to pick up some sand paper and stain. It's starting to become a reality!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ordered it from parts express last night. Gonna head to the depot to pick up some sand paper and stain. It's starting to become a reality!
Nice. Looking forward to your results.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What's usually involved with putting one of those up? Is it a 2 man job or is it just drilling some screws into the studs? I do imagine I'll need a little help actually mounting the tv. It's not super heavy, but it is very awkward.

I've thought about wall mounting in the past, but never did it. This third Ultra has nudged me to just go for it. I'm getting really stoked for this project!
I don't know this particular mount, but feel pretty safe making the following statements.

You may need to go to the PE pics to zoom in to see it more clearly, but you have several slotted holes in the back on the two horizontal bars. You should be able to find one stud to attach to on both sides top and bottom to secure it, so you should have 4 solid screws in studs. If the center slot happens to align with a stud bully for you, but don't sweat it (don't mount TV off-center just to align that slot).

The main thing is to find your studs and use a level to locate the holes up front. Some units come with a carboard template (often printed on the inside of the box) which you can use to make sure the holes line up with the bars.

Much of the ease of this part depends on how readily the mechanism can be removed from the rear bars. Obviously, if you are just mounting the bars then attaching the mechanism, that is easier than having to support the weight of the mechanism while you are lining up the holes and screwing the bolts into the studs.

If you look at the front of the assembly, you will see two vertical bars. You will lean the TV against wall and attach these to the TV's threaded mounting holes. If you look at the attached brackets with the chrome hardware, you will be lifting the TV and hooking these over the top of the large plate. That can probably be done by one person, but easier to use two (a lot depends on how easily the mechanism will move when you contact it - ideally you would want it rigid for hooking the TV over it, then easy to move after you are done).
Once the TV is hooked on, you will use screws to fix it in place.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know this particular mount, but feel pretty safe making the following statements.

You may need to go to the PE pics to zoom in to see it more clearly, but you have several slotted holes in the back on the two horizontal bars. You should be able to find one stud to attach to on both sides top and bottom to secure it, so you should have 4 solid screws in studs. If the center slot happens to align with a stud bully for you, but don't sweat it (don't mount TV off-center just to align that slot).

If you look at the front of the assembly, you will see two vertical bars. You will lean the TV against wall and attach these to the TV's threaded mounting holes. The main thing is to find your studs and use a level to locate the holes up front. Some units come with a carboard template (often printed on the inside of the box) which you can use to make sure the holes line up with the bars.

Much of the ease of this part depends on how readily the mechanism can be removed from the rear bars. Obviously, if you are just mounting the bars then attaching the mechanism, that is easier than having to support the weight of the mechanism while you are lining up the holes and screwing the bolts into the studs.

If you look at the attached brackets with the chrome hardware, you will be lifting the TV and hooking these over the top of the large plate. That can probably be done by one person, but easier to use two (a lot depends on how easily the mechanism will move when you contact it - ideally you would want it rigid for hooking the TV over it, then easy to move after you are done).
Once the TV is hooked on, you will use screws to fix it in place.
Thank you Kew! That's pretty in depth, but not over my head. Definitely in my wheelhouse. As long as I'm not cutting huge holes in the walls or anything like that I'm good to go.
Yup. Pretty much! :D
Nice. Looking forward to your results.
One step closer...
20170430_125338-1-1107x808.jpg
20170430_130057-1305x734.jpg

The stain is still a little tacky, but almost dry. I can see how everything is gonna look now. Those blocks holding the tv up can go and I'll put my receiver on top beside the speaker on one side. Haven't figured out what to put on the other side yet to balance it. I do have an old Yamaha receiver still... :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I keep thinking that little stand looks too short. the top of the speaker will be at 39" from the floor, which puts the tweeter right at my ear level. I've measured it like ten times.

I wanna start putting it up right now! o_O:p

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you Kew! That's pretty in depth, but not over my head. Definitely in my wheelhouse. As long as I'm not cutting huge holes in the walls or anything like that I'm good to go.
Apologies, I somehow had a sentence out of place. I fixed it and think it is more straight-forward now!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Apologies, I somehow had a sentence out of place. I fixed it and think it is more straight-forward now!
It was solid Kew! I do see where you changed the sentence though and it's a little easier to read. I've gone over your post a couple times now and have it all straight on my head now. I really think it's gonna be pretty easy. Can't wait for it to get here!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Got my speaker today!

20170504_125622-1305x734.jpg

Why couldn't the wall mount come first?! I of course couldn't wait to see how it looks so I had to stick in there. I ordered a new tv stand too. Not anything extravagent, but nice enough. It'll be 3 inches higher.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Got my speaker today!

View attachment 20823

Why couldn't the wall mount come first?! I of course couldn't wait to see how it looks so I had to stick in there. I ordered a new tv stand too. Not anything extravagent, but nice enough. It'll be 3 inches higher.
Don't worry about the wall mount, its just fine the way it is. The speaker is only blocking a little bit of the screen, and surely you can live with that. Don't be too picky, I would just leave it the way it is. It's not a big deal.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can do your own Auralex type pads far cheaper with stuff from a hardware store/around the house; IMO some of their claims of audio improvement for their pieces of foam are as silly as audiophool cables....
I use Auralex pads on my speakers :) Their foam is a little different from most packing foam, but I doubt you'd notice a difference audio wise. My issue is that they are intended for desktop/near field so they tend to be kind of thick to get them up off the surface they're sitting on. They are all wedged so you can get 4 deg. of angle (pos or neg) which I like, but they also include some mini wedges that can fill that area in and give you level OR +/- 8 degrees. For my surrounds I use two to give me +8 degrees up and add about 2 inches since they sit close and this works out well.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll look into it. Hetfield mentioned it earlier. If they were ten bucks apiece or something I'd probably get them. I like that they're angled a little, but I dont need them any higher. I made the stands for my mains for shorter speakers so now they're a little tall to begin with.

It's trippy, these speakers image so well and having the third one in the center adds to the illusion even more. It's not even plugged in and I'd swear it was playing.

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'll look into it. Hetfield mentioned it earlier. If they were ten bucks apiece or something I'd probably get them.

It's trippy, these speakers image so well and having the third one in the center adds to the illusion even more. It's not even plugged in and I'd swear it was playing.
They are expensive I agree and I was skeptical but they worked out for me in the end. I agree though they should probably be 20 bucks or something. There are other brands I saw cheaper. Check them out. Actually I remember a bunch of other brands now that I'm thinking about it. Also check out the pro pads I think they are called, they are 150 for the pair. Those should be 50 but these.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis